Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Using Campagnolo Record 11 shifters on shimano 10 speed system?

8K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  chiefkeef 
#1 ·
I really like the look and feel of campy shifters. Is it possible to use record 11 shifters where the rest of the drivetrain is 10 speed shimano?

Forgive me ignorance, but I haven't seen much on this topic. I have seen a lot of stuff on using 10 speed campy shifters on 9 speed shimano drivetrain, and that works fine.

Do 10 speed campy shifters work on 10 speed shimano? By the 10 to 9 speed logic above, do 11 speed campy shifters work on 10 speed shimano?

Thanks.

#6 ·
It's possible, but it takes skill and patience. It's not something to try if you aren't competent with dialing in derailleurs yourself. You can't expect any support from a shop unless one of the mechanics has personal experience with such a set up. So, if you are mechanically inclined, it's possible. If you tend to leave tuneups to a shop, then forget about it.

I currently run a Campy 11 shifter driving a Shimano 9speed set up. I'm due for a new chain/cassette and I'm going to try the alternative cable routing with a ten speed drivetrain and see if it works as well as the 9speed but I haven't gotten around to it yet. So, I can vouch for 9speed but not 10, at the moment.

It's also been suggested that a Campy 10 shifter will drive a Sram 10 rear-derailleur on a Shimano/Sram wheel. Zinn says it will work. I haven't tried it.

Search the internet and this forum for "shimergo" and you'll find more info.

But, yes, the issue is cable pull. Particularly, the variable amount of cable pull between each shift and how that cable pull translates to movement of the RD which is itself based on rear derailleur geometry (distance between pivot points, length of the "arm" of a lever where the cable physically attaches, and the respective angles formed by the movement of the derailleur).

#9 ·
Good summary of online resources. Take that wikibooks site with a grain of salt though, the chart is full of mistakes. I wish I had all of the shifters available to me so that I could remeasure and build a new chart.

#10 ·
I use a Shiftmate to run Campy 10 speed levers on a Shimano 10 speed drivetrain. You can use a different pulley (#4 instead of #3) to do what you want.

Jtek ShiftMate

#11 ·
I have a bike with Campy 10 speed levers and a bike with Campy 11 speed levers. They both use Jtek Shiftmate on a Shimano 10 speed drivetrain. I also have a Bike with Campy levers and derailleur a Shimano cassette using a Shiftmate. They all work great! I also have a bike with Campy 10 speed levers and a SARM rear derailleur. It shifts good but not great and is harder to adjuest. I would go with the Shiftmate.

#16 · (Edited)
i think i found a winner. much better solution than the shiftmate IMO (and its cheaper by a few dollars, not sure about shipping though)

anyone have experience with this product? or care to share some info on the measurements of this product so that people can reproduce it?

i'm really eager to try something like this, but i don't think they will ship it outside japan for cheap.

#17 ·
#18 · (Edited)
if you buy it, let me know. please measure the crap out of it. i want to build my own.

also, headloss, and anyone else interested in this product, just making sure you are aware: The pulley works for Ultra Shift shifters ONLY.

More specifically, any shifter that uses part EC-SR060.

Basically stuff after 2009.

Not a home run, as it doesn't work for the older levers, but still a great solution for newer levers.

#19 ·
The questions are always what do you mean by "will X work with Y", how long are you prepared to faff about and what end result are you aiming for?

If you just want a system to work the way that a designer intended that it should, you want to preserve warranty and you want the opportunity at least of some come-back if it all goes horribly wrong - then build a system that uses the system parts.

Beyond that, remember that anything that you do will lay varying amounts of onus on you, be it in terms of equipment failure, poor shifting performance or just having to spend forever and a day fooling around with adjustments or modifications to make things work less well than they would have, had you bought or chosen to use the full system.

All sorts of weird and wonderful things can be made to "work" and in the past - even now - most mechanics in LBS "of a certain age" have done them, as 35 years ago, when I started, that was what one did ... these days though, with expectations of shifting performance being what they are, and with liability issues attracting the amount of attention that they do, with pressure on time in the workshop and so forth, it's no real surprise that most proffesional mechanics won't give you much support. As a SC head technician, I'd say - don't do it, it's not worth the time and effort - but that is viewed through the prism of what *we* think is worth the time & effort and the compromises *we'd* be willing to make ...

#20 ·
it's no real surprise that most proffesional mechanics won't give you much support.
Sadly, I wouldn't call a good number of bike shop mechanics "professional" although there is usually a head mechanic that actually knows what he/she is talking about... and there is that occasional rare shop filled with knowledgable people. I really just think it boils down to whether or not there is a mechanic on staff that likes to play around with things and see what works. Personally, I love toying around with different combinations, be it with bikes or automobiles, or whatever. I like the freedom to improvise (but I'd never sell one of my frankenbikes, I'd put components designed to work together on any bike I sold to someone else... I save the odd ball combinations for my personal ride and with good reason, I know how to fix any problems that crop up).

#21 ·
yea from a mechanic standpoint, I don't care about how much support I'm getting. But i'm not asking mechanics for their support. I want answers from people who have actually tried/failed, or have experience with such systems. Not people who just say "Naw, don't do it, its not designed that way"

This is more for engineers/tinkerers, not just mechanics.

I don't care about having to adjust stuff, I just want to know some things without spending an arm and a leg and going through a ton of trial and error.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.