Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Windsor Falkirk/Apex - Better deals?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mattiasnyc 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm a returning biker but consider me a newbie I guess. I've searched for opinions on the brand, model etc and couldn't really find specifically what I was looking for so I have a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

1) Is there a better deal with SRAM on it at this price?

2) I don't need to worry about entering into triathlons with this bike (legal to ride), correct?

3) As just a ballpark figure, what can I expect to spend on other stuff, i.e. helmet, shoes, those bar thingies for tri/tt... at the low-to-mid range?

4) Would it be fair to say that with a china carbon diy (I've done some work on bikes before, long ago);

a - I ending up being spending more but arguably getting better quality (i.e. hard to get Apex for much "less" when frame etc is subtracted from the Falkirk)?
b - I'd possibly have to worry about riding the bike in triathlons because of the "unkonwn" geometry/setup?

(Save up to 60% off new Windsor Falkirk SRAM Apex Road Bikes)

ME:

* 43yrs, 5'10", 174lbs, average build.
* marathoner who wants to get into tris and not biking only.
* want SRAM.
* steel or aluminium are both fine. A bit "scared" of carbon but that's fine too.
* have searched and haven't found many better deals on used bikes.
* looking to buy soon.

Thanks so much in advance!

mattias

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You're not going to build a Chinese carbon for less than $795 with Apex.

Spending for aftermarket upgrades, that's up to you. I found R540 Pedals and Specialized BG Carbon new for $68 shipped. It takes patience and checking CL and Ebay everyday for good deals. Pay attention to sales at Nashbar etc. Shops will almost always be twice as much as you can get online.

Maybe check a triathlon forum to see what experiences people have with attachable aero bars. And you'll have to do some research on saddle position when using aero bars, often will have to push it forward if you're using a road bike.

For just triathlons, I don't think there are regulations on bikes. Even Iron Man you can ride a fixie if you're a masochist. It's your problem if you choose to ride a bike that's not suitable for the event/distance.

Was scared of carbon too, but I have a lot of confidence on my frame at least. Toray T800 is ridiculously strong carbon. And the layup is smooth and well done on my bike. And I ride rough roads and there are zero signs of fatigue, cracking etc.

If you want to go with a carbon build:
$450-550 for the TT frame
$480 for Apex group, unless you can find used for less, check Ebay/CL
$30 for cables and housing
$20 for bar tape
$30 for stem unless find a good deal on used.
$30 for handlebar, unless find a better deal on used
$50 on a saddle, the cheaper ones aren't that nice. But you can find sales. My Prologo Zero was $50 on 70% off sale.
$100 for wheelset
$50-70 for pair of tires
$10 for tubes
$30-40 for an emergency kit with multi-tool, tire levers, CO2 cartridges etc.
$40 for Helmet
$50 for cycling shoes if you decide to go that route
$35 for pedals regardless if you go clip-in or not.
Aero bar - no idea.

#3 ·
Thanks so much for your reply.

Yeah, I've been looking for a while and I seem to have missed any deals better than the one I listed. I'd consider china carbon if it wasn't for the fact that it may be too expensive in total considering I'm just starting to shift to tris. If I'm not into it I'm guessing the Windsor, low budget as it may be, will retain its value better.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.