Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Elite Pro HR

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SpeedNeeder 
#1 ·
While looking at Laurens ten Dam's last stage race I noticed that his HR zones for the race were well...crazy...as in crazy low.

Text White Colorfulness Pink Line

Why? Is it simply genetics? V8 engine? I would have thought racing in a TDF stage would be more than an endurance/moderate effort. He did go into the red for 23 minutes but man...3+ hrs endurance/moderate! :eek:

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like what I would expect for this type of racing. If it was a 45 minute weekend crit then it would be much higher.

But since it's a single stage in a long multiweek SR, then keeping the HR low is the name of the game. He only raises his HR when he needs to. Otherwise conserve.

#4 ·
Looks like what I would expect for this type of racing. If it was a 45 minute weekend crit then it would be much higher.

But since it's a single stage in a long multiweek SR, then keeping the HR low is the name of the game. He only raises his HR when he needs to. Otherwise conserve.
I think you are correct. It's just amazing that they can pull those speeds @ Z1/Z2.

#3 ·
Sitting in the pack can be very easy for those guys.

In any case, watts are what's important, not hr. 107 for him might be 120 or 90 for someone else. Too variable, too personal. On the stage from the other day that he listed as "HARD" he only had a max of 175. So already his hr doesn't get that high to begin with.

HR is really only useful for comparison with oneself, not with other people.

#7 ·
While looking at Laurens ten Dam's last stage race I noticed that his HR zones for the race were well...crazy...as in crazy low.

View attachment 298035

Why? Is it simply genetics? V8 engine? I would have thought racing in a TDF stage would be more than an endurance/moderate effort. He did go into the red for 23 minutes but man...3+ hrs endurance/moderate! :eek:
Cool info, thanks for posting. I find that comparing myself to when I started a year ago, my HR and effort were pegged for what would be a low zone 2 ride for me today. Hopefully I'm saying the same thing next year!
I assumed they weren't working that hard until the last bit of the race. I see riders chatting and smiling while riding in the peloton midway through the race! I could neither chat or smile while riding 28+ mph, whether in a peloton or not! lol
Nor could I ride a century every day for 10 days in a row...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.