Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

New owner Synapse 6 105

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
Hello to the forum,

I just purchased a brand new 2014 Synapse 6 105. I would like to have ideas for new wheels, tires and crank set. It does not has the 105 brakes, are they significantly better than the tiagras? Any suggestions are welcome for upgrades.

#2 ·
Dont waste your money on brakes, Tiagra work just fine.
That bike comes with the FSA gossamer crank i believe. Which is just fine don't waste money on a crank unless you're getting a power meter.

Wheels, now thats a whole discussion. What do you want? Aero light cheap expensive more spokes less spokes etc etc.

Solid choice would be some 23-25mm wide rims like (HED belgiums, velocity a23, other brands i cant think of off the top of my head) on dt or king hubs, with sapim cx ray spokes.

Or if you want to spend more money some semi deep carbon wheels like reynolds assaults or some enve's. Or if you can build wheels or know someone or a shop that will do it china carbon rims on some dt or king hubs with sapim spokes.

#3 ·
Hey Bernie,

Like you this is my first post here... & I also just purchased a synapse 6 105 about 2 weeks ago (my first ever road bike - I'm an avid mtbr). I'm must say, great choice! I have about 100km on it, and although I have nothing to compare it to, I'm really enjoying the bike!!

l'm also wondering about a decent wheel upgrade. Either carbon or not. Something that's lighter than the budget rims it comes with. Perhaps under $800 if possible!?

#4 ·
The stock rims are either Shimano 500s or 501s. They are pretty decent entry level wheels. I'd just ride them until they wear out, then upgrade. I'm assuming that if you bought a Synapse, you're not racing. Instead of replacing the crank, you could spend about $200 for Praxis rings, if you're not pleased with your front shifting. I'm probably going to change my rings to Praxis 52/36 over the winter. Or maybe stay with 50 and go 50/36. I'd actually get some use out of my small ring then. :wink:

I guess what I'm hinting at here is, what are your goals, and how do you see new wheels/tires/crank helping you meet them? The wheels you have are fine for everyday training. The Luganos are heavy (and despite what C-dale's specs say, they're wire bead, not folding) but they wear pretty well.

#6 ·
Personally, I would leave all well enough alone on everything except tires which I would replace with something puncture resistant for peace of mind. When I bought my 2014 Synapse Carbon 5 105, I had the bike shop swap out the stock Schwalbe tires for a pair of Maxxis Re-Fuses. I also had them swap out the saddle.

The Shimano 501 wheelset is pretty solid even if it lacks some bling. Nothing wrong with it and they are certainly much better than the entry level Maddux wheels on some of the lower level Synapse models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.