Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Dialing-in front derailleur

606 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kerry Irons 
#1 ·
I was having over-shifting issues with my front derailleur when shifting to the big ring. Since I had not played with limits, I thought it was a worn drivetrain issue; replaced chain and improved R.D. shifting but no luck in the front.
Took the bike into trusted LBS thinking that the issue was a worn chain ring since I have been riding original 50 tooth ring for a while. Mechanic adjusted the stops and F.D. height a touch. The most amazing thing was watching him angle the front derailleur inside and outside plates with an adjustable wrench. Shifts like a champ now!
I have an FSA 38 inner chain ring on a Ritchey Compact crank. Is this common to have to "finesse" the front derailleur? Or is it my bastard set-up? If you are experienced at advanced front derailleur set-up, what is your techniques for angling different side plates?
Just curious.
Thanks in advance,
R.C.

#2 ·
I'll only do this if they're bent and not in the original shape. Back in the 'old' days when front derailleur cages were basically flat plates we would 'finesse' them now and then to help w/ a particularly poor shifting bike. Since the plates have more complicated shapes now I rarely do this. If a derailleur is slightly bent I'll straighten it out some and see if that helps. If it's really bent I'll just recommend replacement.

I'd say yours was probably slightly bent and your mechanic felt the need to fix it. There is nothing about your set up that makes me think it wouldn't work well except for maybe the Ritchey big ring if that's what it has.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response CX. Bike is shifting-away smoothly in the front. Off-topic, since you remember the old days. I loved my old 42 tooth inner ring for my rspeed and flat-land area. The 50X42 combo would be great for my Ritchey compact 10 speed set-up. Except for some way expensive rings, they do not exist. Do you miss the 42? Why did they go to 52/53X39. I know triples have the 42 middle.
R.C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.