Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Cable hanger on Wellens bike?

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jeremyb 
#1 ·
Anyone ever see one of these for sale? I need to find one, my cable hanger needs a spacer between it and the headset cap and between it and the stem, but this seems like it would be perfect. I could cut about an inch off my fork using it. plus it looks like it has a sweet dial on it also! any help would be great. thanks - andy

#2 ·
iamandy said:
Anyone ever see one of these for sale? I need to find one, my cable hanger needs a spacer between it and the headset cap and between it and the stem, but this seems like it would be perfect. I could cut about an inch off my fork using it. plus it looks like it has a sweet dial on it also! any help would be great. thanks - andy
do you have a bigger picture?

#4 ·
iamandy said:
Like these? - TF

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=11616&srccode=1142&PID=484346

#5 ·
iamandy said:
Looks like something made out of sheet metal then alodined or anodized. I guess you could try it if you have a drill, a sheet metal punch and a hand nibbler. Then, you could bend it to the final shape.

#7 ·
no bigger pictures, unfortunately...

I have an almost identical version of the nashbar one. The problem is if I use no spacer the hanger can't sit flush against the headset cap. its an integrated headset and the cap is so wide that the cable hanger doesn't clear it, and sits on the headset cap at an angle. make sense? It looks like the IRC version would have the same problem.

the frame is an airborne aluminum frame, and I'm trying to set it up with little to no spacers between the stem and headset.

#9 ·
this is what cyclocrossworld.com told me: "That pic is from last year, but they seem to use the same hanger only black
this year. I don't know who makes it. It looks very similar to the IRD long
hanger that we have on our store. If you have any other questions please let me know."

Obviously the amount of drop is similiar to the IRD long drop, but as iamandy said, the IRC hanger still requires a spacer to be placed underneath it, while the wellens one is flat.

jeremyb

#10 ·
possible solution

I remember having the same problem a few years ago with a cannondale bike/frame. I wanted to put the hanger right on top of the headset, but the headset was too wide and hit the underside of the hanger. I solve the problem by taking a dremel and grinding away some metal on the underside of the hanger (the one I was using already had a curved cutaway underneath the hanger arm). It didn't need a whole lot of metal removed. Depending on the size of the top cap and hanger you may be able to do the same.

sorry for the poorly worded explaination.

jhr

#12 ·
i emailed Fidea, Wellens' team, last week and got this reply:

Jeremy,

Thanks for contacting us via our website.

I've contacted Bart Wellens concerning his brakes.

He answered me by saying that his brakes-system is made by someone he knows. So it is not of any kind of an existing system.

Hope I helped you

Greetings
Marc Caluwé
Marketing.

there you go, its bent aluminum plate from some guy in europe.

jeremy

#13 ·
dude! thats nuts! you just had a person ask the ex-world champ BART WELLENS (from Belgium no less!) about his cable hanger because a few dorks on a message board that race b's in the middle of nowhere USA like his setup. amazing! that made my day. thanks!!!

how'd the conversation go i wonder?

#14 ·
iamandy said:
dude! thats nuts! you just had a person ask the ex-world champ BART WELLENS (from Belgium no less!) about his cable hanger because a few dorks on a message board that race b's in the middle of nowhere USA like his setup. amazing! that made my day. thanks!!!

how'd the conversation go i wonder?
i know i just told my girlfriend the same thing. A guy asked the ex world champ a question i had and he didnt say top secret piss off.

jeremy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.