Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Rear Wheel Click

852 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  NShore 
#1 ·
I had the bike on the stand today. I spun the wheel and I heard a clicking sound. It sounds like it is coming from the rim. Any ideas what this could be?
Hub Ultegra
Rim Mavic MA2
Spokes DT 14 gauge non butted.

Thanks

#2 ·
Possibilities

daniell said:
I spun the wheel and I heard a clicking sound. It sounds like it is coming from the rim. Any ideas what this could be?
I assume that you're not talking about the noise that the freehub makes, or when a brake pad touches the rim if it is slightly out of true, or a computer magnet, or a tire touching the frame or a brake, or even the front derailleur cable hitting the spokes. If it really is the rim, then the most likely problem is a loose metal fragment in the rim, though it could also be a very loose spoke. If it is a loose metal fragment, then you should be able to hear it by picking up the wheel and shaking it in several directions.

#3 ·
Could also be an extra spoke nipple

daniell said:
I had the bike on the stand today. I spun the wheel and I heard a clicking sound. It sounds like it is coming from the rim. Any ideas what this could be?
Hub Ultegra
Rim Mavic MA2
Spokes DT 14 gauge non butted.

Thanks
If the wheel was machine-built, it's a possibility. It's not uncommon for me to find an extra nipple or two in the rim of a machine-built wheel when assembling a new bike. Good place to keep a spare I suppose, if you can stand the noise.

#5 ·
I assume that you are not talking about the regular clicking of the freehub as it rotates, but rather a click during one point in the wheel's rotation. If you are sure it's not anything rubbing on the bike (brake pad, cable,computer magnet, etc.), I would check for a loose spoke (real loose). If that's not it I would recheck & re-grease the hub's bearings- sometimes a single bearing may be sticking. If these are new builds, or were recently serviced, a missing ball bearing can also cause a periodic click (as the other balls fall in line to fill the extra space). Rebuilding the wheel would be a final option.

#7 ·
Another wierd source of clicking I have seen is a cyclocomputer magnet triggering the sensor. Not hitting contacting the sensor, but just passing over it. I had a Cateye Astrale 8 which gave a soft click every time a magnet passed it. Verified this with the wheel removed. Spoke magent passing the sensor (no wheel-just the loose magnet) caused a soft click.

BTW- I've heard more than one experienced wrench tell me they don't use those Presta lock rings on road bikes any more. Too many customers hear clicking when they get loose, then tighten those rings down so tight they damage the rubber at the base of the stem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.