Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Fizik Aliante Carbon vs Aliante Sport

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Bob Ross 
#1 ·
I looking at buying a new seat for my bike, and would like to know the difference between the Fizik Aliante Carbon vs the Aliante Sport? I had the opportunity to ride on the Carbon, which felt very cool, but I haven't been on the sport (my lbs didn't have it in stock). Aside from price and weight (I also prefer ti rails over carbon rails), how does the Sport compare to the Carbon? I'm looking for saddle to do long-distance rides (70+ miles) that won't fry my a$$. Will the Sport provide equal comfort? The current saddle (sella italia flite) really hurts after 40+ miles.

#2 ·
Look into the gamma and Ti models

I used to use the carbon model. This was before the other models came out. If I were buying now I would go for the Ti or the Gamma. They are cheaper than the carbon. Carbon rails just save a few grams and are more fragile. I've read that the sport isn't the same as the others. I haven't used the gamma, but I know the Ti is the same except for the rails.

I no longer use the aliante. For whatever reason I could no longer get comfortable after I used the saddle for about a year. I have no idea why. I went back to a flite gel, which is my default saddle. It works, but not great. I'm going to try a Regal, based on the comments people have made here, and the fact that some long distance riders like it. The regal is wider than the flite and aliante, but the shape is different. For whatever it's worth my sit bones are about 120mm apart. My butt will write a report in a couple of weeks on the regal.

Good luck!

#3 ·
I have the Aliante Ti with carbon shell and I really like, so I recently picked up a couple of the Aliante Sport saddles off ebay at $50 +/-. The Sport has a plastic shell so I guess it won't be as compliant and it weighs 30 grams more. The Sport is an OEM version of the Aliante that only comes on new bikes, so the ones you see on ebay are take offs. In any case, other then the shell and weighing 30 grams more it looks identical to its big brother. I just put one on a new build that got finished today, so I will know if they ride the same very soon.

#4 ·
I use/used....

The Carbon, Gamma Ti and Sport.

Theey all generally feel the same. The cabon and Gamma feel very, very close in comfort. The Sport feels ok. If you are used to saddle with plastic shells you might be fine. I did not care for it. It just semed not as nice overall than the carbon. It's a decent saddle for the price and a durable one.

Like Blandin sadi, they are OEM only and take off. I bought mine on eBay fro $45
You can have it for $30 if you want. I has 30 miles on it.

PM or e-mail me.

#6 · (Edited)
El Caballito said:
I'm looking for saddle to do long-distance rides (70+ miles) that won't fry my a$$. Will the Sport provide equal comfort? The current saddle (sella italia flite) really hurts after 40+ miles.
I've ridden an Aliante Sport for the past 7 months (approx. 3800 miles on it), and I have absolutely no complaints. I literally do not notice it, even on 80+ mile rides. I keep thinking I should try out a "better" (or at least lighter) saddle, but I can't justify it since I have zero complaints about the Sport. None.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.