Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

My latest project completed and test ridden

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  toomanybikes 
#1 · (Edited)
Well here she is fully built up as follows;

I think the frame, which I had repainted, is columbus SL or SLX with all internal cables and a Cinelli b/b shell. I had the front mech hanger, left hand lever boss and stainless steel head badge added.
Bottom bracket Stronglight.
Chainset is Campag Athena.
Front mech, rear mech, hubs and brake levers are all Campag C-Record.
Rims are Mavic Open Pro's.
Brake calipers are cheapo Campag Avanti.
Bars are LA84's on loan until I find something I prefer.
Stem is ShimaNO 600ax, also on loan.
Top race of headset is Campag, some parts were lost so bottom race Ritchey Logic :mad:
Seat post is an old Campag Chorus.
Saddle is a Concor Profil SL ( I have another in blue or a white perforated Regal).
Gear levers are old Campag Record (or so I was told).

Much of the stuff is NOS. The C-Record stuff was bought NOS a few years back and did time on my Raleigh which I updated to older 8 speed Campag ergo freeing it up for this project.

Compared to a modern bike it's obviously a real boat anchor but it is a dream to ride. It really took me back to my TT'ing days some 20yrs ago when I had a custom built Roberts funnybike, but with a 24" front wheel.

Gearing on this is a far more sensible than my old TT bike that had a knee cracking single 53 tooth chainring up front and an 12-18 freewheel out back. Mind you I was younger and stronger then and propelled it under the hour for a 25 mile TT many a time.

The position is actually very comfortable as the hand position is about 1" above where my drops are on my other bikes, so you can comfortably sit in the 'crouched' position for quite a while. If I were racing this I'd pop the stem down 1-2" - never will mind!!!

It's been a dream to build/ride and really took me back. It's as much of a pleasure to ride as my 20+ yr old Raleigh that I had refurbed and posted a while back - ah nostalgia!

I hope you like. :thumbsup: Now the Mercian project will fill my time.............:p

DannyBoy

See less See more
#7 ·
Actually the position is fine. It has a 700c front wheel so the actual position of the bars is either around or higher than where the drops on a conventional road bike would be. In the case of this bike the position it affords is about 1" higher than where I'd be if I was sitting on the drops on any of my conventional road bikes.

I rode it to work this morning and it was plenty comfortable, and suprisingly quick for something that's probably c20+lbs.

It has fairly upright angles and a very short wheel base (classic TT geo) so is fairly twitchy, but in a good/responsive way.

I guess at 38 I'm still mildly flexible so being bent over for a bit ain't too much of a problem - for now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.