RoadBikeReview Member

accident Camino de Encanto Redondo Beach?

4/3/2011 - There was an auto/bicycle accident on Camino de Encanto (Redondo Beach)this morning about 7:15. Anyone have any information on what happened and how the cyclist is doing?
    RSRO (ride safely, ride often),
    Jim

2008 Cannondale SuperSix 1 & 2010 Colnago CLX 2.0
    2003 Cannondale R2000 (sold!)
    1988 Cannondale ST700 (given away)
    1976 Azuki (passed down)
    1972 Peugeot U08 (worn out and discarded)
    1958 Raliegh 3-speed (sold)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    The rider was Adam Rybicki who was riding with the 7am doctors ride from Malaga Cove. He was hit head on by a car driven by a 19 year old female who was intocicated and arrested at the scene. The car with 5 drunk teenage occupants was heading up Encanto at 30+ mph while the doctors group just started the descent at 20+ mph. As car veered to the wrong side of the road, Adam attempted to avoid it by going left.

The driver swerved just as she approached the group just missing the lead riders Mike Barr, Doug Castele, + and hit Adam directly. He went head first into the windshield and landed on the side of the road in what was described by witnesses as as "pretzel". The car, front end mangled, skidded as she came to a stop, but not before hitting John Thompson who was right behind Adam. John wound up at Torrance Memorial with a broken hand... Adam (who we just left at the hospital) is in the trauma center at Harbor in a coma, bleeding on his brain, cracked skull, broken shoulder, 5 broken ribs, punctured lung, broken ankle, broken femur. As of this posting surgery cannot be perfomed until they relieve the pressure on his brain. in addition, they have been giving him transfusions all day as they cannot figure out where the excessive loss of blood is occurring.

I can only say it was divine intervention that spared the rest of the group from such tragedy. And as I sit here replying to this post, it is only the rules of this site that hold me back from typing how I really feel about that F_____ B_____. I just wish I could have been there when she awoke in a cell from her drunken stupor, as she was emotionless when they cuffed her at the scene.

It's been a long day....if you're looking for an update please email me at tony@pcparlor.com.

Tony

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank you, Tony. I arrived on the scene just moments after the crash, before EMS arrived, but didn't want to get in the way. My thoughts and prayers are with Adam, John and all of you who witnessed this needless crime.
    RSRO (ride safely, ride often),
    Jim

2008 Cannondale SuperSix 1 & 2010 Colnago CLX 2.0
    2003 Cannondale R2000 (sold!)
    1988 Cannondale ST700 (given away)
    1976 Azuki (passed down)
    1972 Peugeot U08 (worn out and discarded)
    1958 Raliegh 3-speed (sold)

So. Calif.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcparlorman
    ...And as I sit here replying to this post, it is only the rules of this site that hold me back from typing how I really feel about that F_____ B_____. I just wish I could have been there when she awoke in a cell from her drunken stupor, as she was emotionless when they cuffed her at the scene....
    No such luck -- yet. Daily Breeze newspaper reports:

- - - - - - - - -
    http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_17771167

Drunk driving suspect in
    Torrance crash with
    cyclists has prior
    citations

A young Rancho
    Palos Verdes woman arrested on suspicion
    of driving drunk and running into bicyclists
    in the Hollywood Riviera section of
    Torrance has a
    record of speeding, records
    showed Monday.
    Jaclyn Andrea Garcia, 19,
    has a valid driver's license, but has had
    four convictions for driving offenses since
    2009, including three for speeding
    , ...

... Police arrested
    her on suspicion of driving under the
    influence. Records show she was released
    from the Torrance jail Sunday evening
    after posting $100,000 bail
    . ...

- - - - - - - - -

It seems clear to me, this Garcia girl perpetrator has parent(s) who did a pathetic job of "raising" her -- if you can call it that -- and ought to be partly culpable ... they keep letting the girl drive even though she's had 4 convictions since age 17. The parents probably fronted the $100K bail money, too.

So. Calif.
    Photo of the perpetrator, Jaclyn Garcia :
    http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,1450279.story

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Four drunk driving convictions at age nineteen. :speechless:

RoadBikeReview Member
    How does this girl have a valid license? This infuriates me. Put here away. Toss the key.

No Bonk Zone
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    Four drunk driving convictions at age nineteen. :speechless:
    Not quite.. She has four prior convictions for unsafe driving & speeding, and failing to obey signs types of moving violations. Article here
    This is her first DUI. Here's a picture of the DUI perpetrator. Video report can be seen here as well..

Imagine, 5 girls in the car (probably all are adults like the 19yr/old driver), and not one shred of common sense or responsibility among them to stop her from driving a car while drunk. Losers!

Regardless, I want to see the driver get the maximum punishment the law allows to teach her and others like her to drive responsibly.
    I also think the 4 other passengers in the car should also shoulder some responsibility for getting in the car instead of stopping her from driving.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    It's not just drunk drivers. Some people go insane whenever they get behind the wheel of a car. A psychiatric evaluation should be part of the drivers test. Drivers licenses are are handed out like food samples at Costco, it shouldn't be that easy to get a license. This girl should have had her license taken away long ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    This makes me sick to my stomach. The name sounds familiar (I think I met him at the Mullholland Challenge).

My best wishes are with him and his family

That F___ B____!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Adam Update 04/10/2011 - 4:15PM

After spending the last week at the hospital with Barbara & Peter (Adam's wife & son) and a number of hours at his bedside in the trauma center, my anger just seems multiple itself with ever tear I shed. What the **** did he do to deserve this!! And why the **** is that remorseless ***** still walking around free – maybe driving and partying??

Adam was only out for an easy Sunday morning recovery ride with the DOCTOR’S GROUP, and now he's lying in a hospital bed with tubes and wires coming out of him, medical equipment all around - beeping and monitoring his vital signs. I can’t wrap my head around the senselessness of him paying for her ****-up, and I truly wish I had something positive to say about his condition, but unfortunately I don't.

My Saturday (04/09) was spent riding the Mulholland Double Century, 209 miles....16,500+ feet of climbing... the day/ride dedicated to my fallen comrade who should have been riding the San Diego Gran Fondo this morning with the rest of our friends. My ride of less than 16 hours earned me a Planet Ultra tee shirt which I dedicated to, and left draped over Adam’s cooling blanket as I just left the hospital.

On my way back into town this morning, I couldn't stop thinking/hoping/wishing that with the hours of praying I did during the ride, I would find him eyes open and somewhat responsive. Instead what I found was Barbara by Adam's side in tears... they had performed a tracheotomy. Friday I had stopped in for a visit before heading out of town and he was breathing on his own; now he’s on a ventilator. He is still in a coma, has a fever, his femur surgery has now gotten infected delaying an MRI and the orthopedic surgery required to fix his broken ankle. Hopefully tonight sometime they will be able to verify if his leg is infected, and if not proceed with working on his ankle.

It is heart-wrenching to see him laying there so helpless, and not a dam thing any of us can do about it. The one thought that we all do share is “That could have been anyone of us!”

It’s become a full time job trying to keep everyone updated as to Adam’s progress; especially when so many from outside our regular distribution groups have contacted me. If you’re looking for an update, please visit the website we’ve created to post his status on a daily basis. At least I’m hoping to get it updated daily…

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/adamrybicki/

So. Calif.
    Thanks for the update ... many of us So Bay cyclists are deeply saddened, and hoping for the best ...

Just Plain Bitter
    This is so senseless! Having grown up in West L.A./Santa Monica I feel a kinship. My prayers go out to Adam's family and I pray for his recovery as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    thank you for your update and all that you are doing for them. Its truly a horrible situation.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Read in the paper today that the girl (Jaclyn Andrea Garcia) received a one year sentence and five years probation for this despicable act.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    Read in the paper today that the girl (Jaclyn Andrea Garcia) received a one year sentence and five years probation for this despicable act.
    I don't understand how she only gets 1 year?

I can bet if she had hit another car and caused this much damage to another driver she would get more...