RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

LA River, San Gabriel River, Rio Hondo, Bike Paths...

I usually ride on the LA river path in the mornings on my way to work, but I have never been on it after hours, I am not talking night time, but somewhere around 4 to 6 pm (hopefully)
    I was wondering if anybody rides these paths after work hours, I hear bad stories from non riders, scary, gangs???
    I am going to be commuting from Long Beach to El Monte after work, just wondering if it is too risky...

Lost in translation
    With school out, you can expect gang members to occupy the path from late-morning forward. In other words, around 4 to 6 makes little difference. In all the years and hundreds of times I've ridden the SGR path, only a few times were the kids slow to allow me thru. Sort of playing chicken with me. Just always be nice and gracious.

I find the Rio Hondo safer. Not sure why there's less pedestrians. At least it doesn't have as many narrow tunnels. Those give me the creeps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

Sucks...

Thanks for the info, I am actually going to be going up the LA River, and then onto Rio Hondo Path...It is either this, or sitting on the 710-105-605 Parking lot twice a week...