Thread: Mike Nine RIP

RoadBikeReview Member

Mike Nine RIP

For those of you that ride in the OC.

Mike Nine an avid cyclist out of Tustin was killed Thursday morning during a training ride in Newport Beach.

He crashed into the back of a stake truck as he tried to avoid the vehicle which was traveling the wrong way on the road and in the path of a group of riders.

The OC news channels have incorrectly reported that the cyclist lost control of his bike causing him to go into oncoming traffic and striking the truck. The news channels have cited that the Newport Police have been unable to determine the reason the cyclist lost control of his bike.

As 1 of the 10 witnesses of this event, I think it is important to set the record straight. Mike did not lose control of his bike and go into oncoming traffic. The truck was going the wrong up a narrow road. This caused the crash. The truck driver's negligence set this tragedy in motion.
    Last edited by occyclist; 07-16-2010 at 02:31 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    That is very very sad news. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

I often ride in the early morning hrs and have found that delivery/work drivers (newspaper, landscapte, construction) often go on the wrong way due to the lack of cars on the roads and because they need to access certain roads and trucks are too big. I make it a point to be very aware of the spots I seem them do this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Sorry to hear, condolences....RIP

RoadBikeReview Member
    My condolences and how tragic!

Cars and trucks when driving don't give a hoot about bikes on the roads and for that matter not even other cars or trucks. My brother was killed a few years back due to a driver running a red light. Killed my brother age 20 and my friend that was with him age 20.

People are always in such a hurry and a rush to get to know where. Being in a hurry and rush will get you killed. I'm so sorry to hear about Mike Nine. What a tragic loss to the bike community, to his friends and family.

I did some research and found more details on this incident for those that have an interest. It amazes me that another biker was tragically killed in the same area a year prior to Mike's accident .

http://www.coronadelmartoday.com/128...ates-outraged/

RoadBikeReview Member

Update Information

Buried Mike yesterday, sad but a real nice ceremony. Here is an updated article

http://www.coronadelmartoday.com/129...river-charged/

Not Banned

my deepest sympathies

but I'm glad the second report got the fault correct

driver didn't have a license, classic
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    That is so sad.

Good to see they got the story right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    The driver faces a maximum of one year in jail for killing someone. That's fvcking outrageous. His blatant disregard for the law should net him a much stiffer punishment. He should get 25 years!

Just Plain Bitter
    I need to check this forum more closely. As a long time resident of Tustin I had seen and talked with Mike. I had not heard about this and it saddens me to know he is gone.

The good doctor in Brentwood got six years for severely injuring riders. Let's hope the judge read that case before he sentences this person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now