Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

Moving Violations

Just wanted to report that the Redondo Beach Police Dept is giving citations for cyclists running stop signs. This on The Esplanade and Catalina Ave. This is the routes most cyclists use approaching the Palos Verdes Peninsula. I got one and the cop told me that this issue has been discussed at city council meetings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I believe most cities don't allow cyclist to run stop signs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Of course, and I was wrong for doing it, but enforcement is at a much higher rate lately and typically cyclists run these as well as those up on the Peninsula. To cite an example, the following day after my receiving a ticket I noticed roadies completing full stops at the intersections that many would have run. So enforcement is effective. I was just advising peeps to stop.

Fortune
    Aug 2005
    It seems that more and more police officers around Los Angeles are giving out what a friend of mine calls "Shouldn't you be out catching criminals- Tickets".

But, breakin the law is breakin the law.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsharp3
    It seems that more and more police officers around Los Angeles are giving out what a friend of mine calls "Shouldn't you be out catching criminals- Tickets".

But, breakin the law is breakin the law.
    Exactly. They are out catching criminals, they're catching those people that run stop signs. I stop cyclists weekly, though I haven't yet given one a ticket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the heads up fivekabob.

I usually ride thru the Redondo Beach area on the weekends and need to make sure I stop instead of rolling thru. Are they at the same place or randomly on the Avenues?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I wonder if they would issue a ticket if I did a track stand stop. Or do I have to put a foot down. Geez,
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    PV and Redondo Police departments have been extremely active in writing stop-sign tickets for the past year. When riding down the Esplanade on Saturday mornings, leading up to the donut ride, there are frequently motorcycle cops pulled up on the sidewalk on the north side of Knob Hill, pointing toward Esplanade, just waiting for cyclists to roll through the stop sign.

Obviously, riders should stop... but we've all hit intersections either right before or after a car... only to cause total havoc in the intersection by stopping. Drivers don't seem to realize we can stop without dropping our feet. So... the drivers get spooked and won't go... even when its their turn. Often, all the confusion would be eliminated with a thoughtfully rolled stop sign by the cyclist (... not that I do it... because I got a ticket years ago, and my wife was not very understanding...).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooben
    I wonder if they would issue a ticket if I did a track stand stop. Or do I have to put a foot down. Geez,
    I have heard of someone getting a ticket where I live for doing that exact thing, but I would definitely fight it. Here in TN, the statute simply says complete stop. If you can perform that without putting a foot down (as many can), I can't see how anyone could ticket you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the head's up!!. I'm going to be riding up that way in a few weeks with some people from our bike club. Still, it makes sense that police would give out tickets. A bicycle is considered a vehicle and the same laws apply. I learned that about 16 years ago when I received a speeding ticket on my bike going down a hill at 47 mph in a 35 mph zone. Boy, did that suck!!

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooben
    I got one for not putting my feet down in Huntington Beach. The judge threw it out as I did stop. I deserved it sort of. I stopped completely and just stared at the cop for a good 15 seconds or so. Kind of a wise a$$ move but I did stop.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by SleeveleSS
    I have heard of someone getting a ticket where I live for doing that exact thing, but I would definitely fight it. Here in TN, the statute simply says complete stop. If you can perform that without putting a foot down (as many can), I can't see how anyone could ticket you.
    I always figured if a cop used the no-foot-down as an excuse, I would make him note that in the ticket before I signed it.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

pretty-n-pink
    My sister was riding back from Echo Park to her loft downtown and she ran a stop near San Julian. She got a ticket. If anyone knows about downtown, you know San Julian is skid row. I would have stopped either.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by grrlyrida
    My sister was riding back from Echo Park to her loft downtown and she ran a stop near San Julian. She got a ticket. If anyone knows about downtown, you know San Julian is skid row. I would have stopped either.
    Wow. At least in Redondo you can argue that the cops are bored. But down there??? Surely they have plenty else to do ...
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Being completely hypocritical - a) I often if not always roll through stop signs b) They are "shouldn't you be out catching criminals" tickets until someone gets hit and killed...then it seems more important.
    However, I would say most of the cops are more interested in raising cash through tickets than saving cyclists from themselves !

eRacer
    Here in San Diego, everybody including cars roll stop signs. It's call a 'California Stop'.
    I must admit I roll stop signs when the intersection is not busy, but I have gotten a ticket for doing this in the past.
    I guess if you do this often enough, you're gonna get caught.
    Possibly with the way the economy is and the need for increasing revenues, the police may indeed be upping the number of citations they give out.
    Just a thought.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PTV
    ... most of the cops are more interested in raising cash through tickets than saving cyclists from themselves !
    Where do you get this from? Cops don't get commission on tickets. In fact, at least here, very little of the proceeds come to the police department. The courts get most of it. Most of my colleagues couldn't care less about writing a citation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Where do you get this from? Cops don't get commission on tickets. In fact, at least here, very little of the proceeds come to the police department. The courts get most of it. Most of my colleagues couldn't care less about writing a citation.
    While it is unlikely that cops are more interested in writing citations than assisting cylcists or other members of the community... it is clear (at least in the South Bay of Los Angeles) motorcycle police will position themselves on sidewalks or in shadows to catch cyclists blowing through or merely rolling through stop signs (even in light-traffic times, such as early Saturday morning).

My challenge to Police would be to follow a cyclist on a daily 50 MPH workout through the hills and city streets, citing the drivers who menace cyclists with aggressive or dangerous driving. Last week, two aggressive drivers cut me off even though they had plenty of room (in one case, an entire lane), but they chose to express their frustration at sharing the road by creating a dangerous situation.

So... instead of parking on the sidewalk and waiting for a cyclist rolling through a 3-way stop at five miles per hour... the police might consider splitting their time and monitoring some of the drivers who would use their vehicles to threaten cyclists. As many of you know, it wouldn't take too long for them to find one.

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Exactly !! How can you say they aren't interested in giving tickets - no matter what the financial implications ? If they were more interested in safety than giving tickets they would wait in plain view - discouraging people from blowing stop signs or turning left when no left turn is allowed between certain hours - but they DON'T ! They wait out of view in order to catch as many people as they can - I see it every day. So why on earth would they do that other than to catch as many people as possible and write as many citations as possible ???

Cat 6 rider
    I've got little sympathy for cyclists who don't even slow down for stop signs, but I hope the cops will allow a 'Hollywood Stop' on a completely empty road, with a complete stop when traffic is affected.

I think one state just passed a law allowing stop signs to be treated as Yield signs by cyclists. I think that would be the best way to handle things. Write to your lawmakers.
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PTV
    Exactly !! How can you say they aren't interested in giving tickets - no matter what the financial implications ? If they were more interested in safety than giving tickets they would wait in plain view - discouraging people from blowing stop signs or turning left when no left turn is allowed between certain hours - but they DON'T ! They wait out of view in order to catch as many people as they can - I see it every day. So why on earth would they do that other than to catch as many people as possible and write as many citations as possible ???
    Like I said, it's not like they're seeing the money. We get paid an hourly wage, no matter how many tickets we write. As to the reason we hide, think about this. If you see me sitting watching a stop sign, you'll probably stop. But the next time when I'm not there and you don't see me, you won't. If I am out of sight, you roll it, and get a ticket, next time, when I'm off responding to a domestic or something and nowhere near that sign, your still going to stop, because your not sure if I'm there or not. For me the idea isn't to write tickets, but tickets are the only thing that's effective, most of the time.

I've sat on one intersection during my free time for almost two weeks now. At first I was giving warnings for rolling the stop sign, and telling everyone to tell their friends and coworkers I was going to be out the frequently. Nothing changed. Everyone kept blowing the stop sign. Then I started giving tickets, and magically, people actually started stopping. It's pretty logical when you think about it.

PTV
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Got to agree with you......that makes good sense.....

And I still think cops like catching people as opposed to being visible and stopping the offences in the first place...!!

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I've sat on one intersection during my free time for almost two weeks now. At first I was giving warnings for rolling the stop sign, and telling everyone to tell their friends and coworkers I was going to be out the frequently. Nothing changed. Everyone kept blowing the stop sign. Then I started giving tickets, and magically, people actually started stopping. It's pretty logical when you think about it.
    Were you pulling over bikes or cars?
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    Were you pulling over bikes or cars?

Pulled over 34 cars and 2 bikes on the day I was posted there for the full day. Most other days I answer calls and just sit there in my spare time. Those days I might average 4 or 5 stops for the day.

Cat 6 rider

That doesn't make sense. That assumes everyone who rolls a stop sign knows each other. (Even with a, 'Tell your friends and co-workers' warning I just don't think the real world is that connected- unless you're at the entrance to one factory). When you see a cop has someone pulled over you don't know if he's giving a warning or writing a ticket. I think what's happened is you've been there long enough that everybody who rolls that sign knows you're there pulling people over. They don't know what you're doing, so they're playing it safe.

Edit: And besides, it's not just the ticket- people don't want to get stopped by the police even if the consequence is just a warning. It would be far easier and less time consuming to stop.

Try a new spot. Stay there for two weeks and only issue warnings. See if you don't get the same results.
    To the troll mobile, away...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast