RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Biking with Chandler (Phoenix) as home base

So on Nov. 10-14 a friend and I will be in Chandler, AZ for a dedicated bike trip. We anticipate about 60-80 KM a day, and are looking for ride suggestions. Neither of us have been there before, so pretty comprehensive directions would be awsome.

Cheers,

Matt

RoadBikeReview Member
    i suggest you post at mtbr.com in the arizona forum as there are many folk there who do road rides and have some neat loops in the east valley.
    Ms K

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    So I guess it has been a while... headed back after Christmas. Last trip I did Bartlett, Usury (I think) and a few other rides. Went to Lemmon for a day.

Any route tips? Looking for some elevation. Thx.

Forever a Student
    Strange how you make a trip as a dedicated bike trip but have nothing planned and no idea about the area. Then go back still with no idea.
    use a torque wrench

Road Warrior
    If your looking for a great desert ride, start in Tucson and ride to Ajo on the old highway, some of the most beautiful desert in the world and sparsely populated, should take three or four days. Simply stunning.

Forever a Student
    Strava heatmap will tell you where other people ride.

Strava segment explorer will tell you where all the climbs are.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Going to Chandler & elevation are not congruent, except for south mountain. Of course going up a 2% grade at 25mph, now that could be difficult too.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR View Post
    So I guess it has been a while... headed back after Christmas. Last trip I did Bartlett, Usury (I think) and a few other rides. Went to Lemmon for a day.

Any route tips? Looking for some elevation. Thx.
    You should do Mt. Humboldt. Continue straight past Bartlett lake road and ride up to Seven Springs where the pavement ends. Then about 5-6 miles of dirt road to the access road up to Humboldt. The access road has been freshly paved...butter smooth and iirc about 6km/4miles and 1500' of climbing. The dirt section scares most but, it's easily ridable with any kind of road bike. We haven't had much rain this year so a bit dusty and more washboard than normal. Just did it a couple weeks ago with a bunch of friends...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Another great ride close to Chandler is Apache Trail / Hwy 88...but only in the colder months when the auto traffic is minimal. The pavement is rather rough but still rideable. The views are amazing. If you park at Lost Dutchman State Park, the trip out to EOP is 17+ miles with 2100+ feet of climbing. 34 miles isn't a full day of riding but you could always start from somewhere else and weave over.

If you are riding gravel bikes, the next 20+ miles is dirt, climbs an additional 2400+ feet and takes you to Roosevelt Lake. The surface isn't horrible on 32+ tires with some tread.

Good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Three words,...

Fish,...

Creek,...

Hill,...

Not the road for you if you're afraid of heights.