Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Good Pro roadie shop in Phoenix?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  morepower4me 
#1 ·
Please suggest good shops in Phoenix to do work on high end road bikes. Not Dominics btw. I had terrible service there. I want a place that pays attention to detail. I have a Moots VaMoots with 10sp Dura-Ace.

#2 ·
My Personal Experience

I have had great experiences with both Bicycle Ranch in Scottsdale and Landis on Scottsdale and Shea. Knowledgeable, great customer service, and one or the other has had a presence at all of the cycling and triathlon events I've done in AZ.

#4 ·
I had a tuneup done at Domenics and also a 28 rear cog put on with a new chain. The chain still had the packing grease on it, the wheels were not trued, and the shifting was off. When I complained about the wheel obviously not being trued they hedged around and then tried to fix it by putting it in the stand with the tire still on. They also did not recalibrate the Shimano comuter which was probably not part of a tune-up but would have been good attention to detail. Very dissapointing for what used to be a high end road bike shop. No way would I buy any bikes from them. I hear Domenic is gone, retired or something, so I suppose thats why their service has slid. If he was still around I don't think this would have ever happened. If it did he would have had it fixed immediately instead of me having to talk them into doing it right.

#5 ·
Well I went to Landis on Warner. They are off my list. 5 people working on a Sunday in an empty store and they couldn't be bothered to help me. I asked a question about an item and one of the guys behind the counter pointed at one whole side of the store and said over there. When I asked a few more questions they were unresponsive to the point of rudeness like I interrupted their day. I'm so tired of lousy bike shops. They are their own worst enemy. I've owned and ridden high end road bikes since the late 70's, have a $5K bike, and can afford to spend whatever I want anytime I want. Seems like a demographic a bike shop would be interested in right? Apparently not. I guess I did them a favor by walking in the store. It's no wonder so many people buy off the internet and thats exactly what I'm going to do instead of spend the couple hundred $$ I almost spent in Landis today.

#6 ·
Not a suprise...

I have purchased a bike from the Warner store. Just pathetic service, and you're right--they couldn't care less if you're there. If you don't mind, go to the guys at South Mountain Cycles on Ray and 40th (I think). I have always had real good service, and they are willing to do what it takes to make it right.

Landis on N. Scottsdale is pretty good, as is Bicycle Ranch, but the BR is expensive. Good, but expensive.

Don't even get me sarted about Performance......

#9 ·
Try Curbside Cyclery

I guess I shouldn't be shocked to hear about Landis on Warner and their bad service. I bought three bikes there over the last five years so I pretty much get their attention when I walk in, but they know me and I won't let them ignore me, never have never will. I've heard other similar horror stories (such as those listed above) from others though.

Curbside Cyclery is my favorite connection for bike repairs. Mike Cox owner/operator comes to you. He's got a full shop set up in his truck. His service is unmatched and his prices I have found to be on par with shops.
http://www.travelingusa.com/business/curbsidecyclerytempe/index.html?from_cat=Rentals%20and%20Dealerships

#10 ·
I give a thumbs-up to South Mountain Cycles, also. I took a Pinarello that I had ordered from Competitive Cyclist in on a Friday for a set up. They were more than happy to oblidge. I was told it would be ready Saturday afternoon. But, they actually finished it the same day I dropped it off. The bike is dialed, and was done EARLY!

I have never had a time when in the shop that the guys haven't taken time to see if they could help. No matter if I was just in for a tube. Great service, staff, and very friendly.

I ditto the feeling that Landis on Warner treats you as a nuisance. I was looking at Orbeas and higher end Treks before my purchase. But, they weren't very concerned with me at all. Then, after getting my bike, I wanted to change the seat. When inquiring about their saddle selection, I also got the "Over there" treatment mentioned in the post above.

#11 ·
Glad to say I found from this thread that South Mountain is the place to go. I've spent a pretty fair amount of money there and took a friend in who bought a $2500 Specialized road bike and about $1000 in accessories. I won't ever be in a Landis store again thats for sure.

#12 ·
Yeah, Landis on Warner and Rural is great if they recognize you or if they "feel" like helping. When it comes to fitting at Landis, Perry is the man and very ethical. Their wheel guy with the glasses is top notch also.

If you have the money to drop, then Bicycle Ranch is the on and all for your high end cycling needs.

Performance bike is owned by Nashbar and has a 100% satisfaction return policy. Also, they price match any on line company as long as they have it in stock. I know they don't carry a lot of high end product in store, but what they do have they will match. For example, I find the lowest price for cytomax or riding shorts and then buy them at Performance for that low internet price. I suppose they make so much via the internet that they don't have to make a full profit off of everything they sell.

Don't flame. I can't afford LBS retail prices and so I don't frequent them. Yes, support LBS blah blah blah...no can afford full price on everything. If I can save 15% on a dura cable set or $150 off of a wheel set then it's a no brainer...mail order Performance price match it is. Oh, their service does suck though.

#13 ·
I went to Landis three times now, the first time, i was totally ignored, second time a young lady helped me, i think her name was stacey. She was very helpful and knowledgeable. Third time, ignored once again. Performance isn't too bad with customer service. Can't find decent road shoes in there though.

#14 ·
I have heard good things about Swis American but have not gone there myself.

I did just recently buy a bike from DNA cycles in Mesa (it might be a drive for you) off of Power and Mckellips. Could not have been any happier. I went to pretty much every shop within a 20 mile radius looking at bikes, and most couldn't be bothered to help me. One shop wouldn't even take there Cannondale R800 of the rack so I could see it.... :( Seriously...

At DNA the bike I wanted was on there website as being available, (Gerolsteiner Team Specialized) so I went in to look at it. As it turns out it was added at midnight the night before, and the bike was still in the box... After I expressed interest they LITERALLY took it out of the box and assembled it in front of me, so I could see it. I worked with the Owner Don,, and there racer/tech Dustin.
I was planning on going mail order (Scattante/Motbecane) but when I saw this I finally got what everyone was talking about with the LBS treatment.

I will definately be going back there, and hope to get in on there group rides (which they actually have, on road bikes...a rarity I have found...)
Anyway, if it is too far, no biggie, but I would have no hesitation in taking my $$$ ride there, it will be in good company!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.