Thread: Skull Valley RR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

Skull Valley RR

Anyone watch this board that is planning on riding in the Skull Valley Road Race? If so would you happen to know the course? I race mountain bikes but have decided to dabble on the road a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd do it, but I'm racing my MTB in Flag, the day before. In my sorry state of conditioning, I'd never make a 55 mile road race, the day after a MTB race. If you see any more races, let me know, I'd like to try one in AZ.

I think we met once, at the SoMo parking lot. You drive a silver WRX, right? You can PM me either here, or over at the MTBR board. Same name, both places.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Yeah, I have a poor beat up WRX. What MTB race are you doing in Flag??

On topic, I did a search on here for Skull Valley and found a thread on top speed. Someone got their top speed of 55mph in this race. I am looking for keeping form through the off season not killing myself but I'm already signed up.

Once the rain stops you'll see me up at DC more at night than now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We met on a Wednesday night, and if I remember right, I was still on a black Karate Monkey. I was driving a white, 2WD Tacoma. Where are you doing your training for this race? I'd like a different place to ride, other than my neighborhood, or over at Usery Pass.

I'm doing a race put on by Absolute Bikes. If I would have known about the road race, I probably would have done that one, instead. It sounds like fun, and I haven't done any road racing in years.

55 mph? There must be serious climbing on that course, to get those kinds of downhill speeds.

Here's a link to the MTB race:

http://www.absolutebikes.net/mtn_fest/index.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz
    We met on a Wednesday night, and if I remember right, I was still on a black Karate Monkey. I was driving a white, 2WD Tacoma. Where are you doing your training for this race? I'd like a different place to ride, other than my neighborhood, or over at Usery Pass.
    I basically stick with Ahwatukee roads. I live off of 42nd St and Chandler Blvd. My route is this from my home at 42nd and Silverwood which is south of Chandler Blvd.

- North on 40th St. from Frye
    - Right on S. Ranch Circle Drive which is about 2 blocks north of Chandler Blvd.

- I ride Ranch Circle Drive, cross ray to N. Ranch Circle Drive, it curves back south to Ray.

- Right on Ray which is now west, and take it all the way to where Chandler goes into the foothills where I curve right or west into the foothills.

- I stay on Chandler Blvd in the Foothills going west past Desert Foothills Blvd up a small hill, down a steep but small hill but you still get up to about 40mph if in aero, and turn right at S.5th Avenue towards S. Mtn. This is a main drag through a subdivision and the longest stretch with no bike lane.

- S. 5th Ave turns into Desert Foothill Pkwy again which curves around back to Chandler Blvd. This road has about a 1.2 mile climb with about a 4% grade that I do twice and sometimes 3 times.

- On my last time, I finish the loop around to Chandler but instead continue on Desert Foothills Pkwy going South towards Pecos. At the YMCA, I turn left into the subdivision at E. Liberty Lane going East. This is about 3-4 blocks north of the Post Office.

- This will take you around and adjacent to Pecos. It will intersect with 24th Street where you have to turn right for about 1-2 blocks then left again into another subdivision but also E. Liberty Lane.

- Continue through, you will cross 32nd St. and continue on E. Liberty Lane to Lakewood Drive that is just a cirle around the subdivision.

- Not sure what the eastern road that exists the subdivision here is but you can't really miss it. It's the 6th right hand turn and will take you to 40th Street again.

This all seems really complicated but it's really not. Check Mapquest with this post and you will see it's not too bad. It has about 2 miles of road with no bike lane and other than Ray, it has very little traffic even at 6:30pm when I do it. It is 18 miles twice up that climb and 20 give or take 3 times up. It takes me about 1:15 to do it 3 times up that climb, ride time with traffic lights.

I ride it during the week at 6:15pm-6:30pm as long as it's not storming. If it just looks like a storm I make a game time call and sometimes use it to push me a bit faster. This is my neighbor's route that he showed me a few weeks ago. If you are interested in a tour of it let me know and I will PM my cellular. A couple texts with meet up place and time and we are off. I have a huge commute though from work (33 miles) that can affect my start time. With sunset at 7:30pm (you have light another 20-30 minutes), one can get around this loop pretty easily in the day time. I ride with a red blinker when it gets closer to sunset but it's not that necessary.

Sorry for the long one, but one last thing. I have put in about 300 miles on this route already and have had just one light close call with a car turning right. It was easily prevented by me just watching and the driver watching. Ahwatukee has the best drivers when it comes to cyclists in my opinion.

Let me know. Neighbor and I do this route Fridays at 6pm-6:15pm departure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sweet. I work right over the freeway, at I-10 and Elliot, so that ride is doable, for me. I might take you up on a "tour", next Friday. Is that the only day you ride, road or MTB?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I am on the Road on that route (if it's dry this being monsoon) Tuesday - Friday. Saturday, I hit the gym hard and Sunday the neighbor and I usually hit DC at Pima Canyon.

I used to be hitting the mountain at night but that was beating me up so I switched to the road. I do about 80-100 miles a week. I will be riding tonight, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday on that road route as long as it isn't raining or obviously about to rain. I leave work around 5:15pm, arrive home at 6pm, and usually depart my home at 6:15 give or take 15 minutes depending on traffic and how long it takes me to change clothes apply a little sunscreen and air up the tires.

When we start losing the sun at night I will switch back to DC nights as well. I will PM you my email. I can let you know my plans before I leave work. I check weather.com before fighting traffic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got your PM, Guero. Check your inbox.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevhogaz

I'm doing a race put on by Absolute Bikes. If I would have known about the road race, I probably would have done that one, instead. It sounds like fun, and I haven't done any road racing in years.

55 mph? There must be serious climbing on that course, to get those kinds of downhill speeds.

Here's a link to the MTB race:

http://www.absolutebikes.net/mtn_fest/index.html
    Not to butt-in on the conversation, but I'll be at the same Good Ole Fashioned Mtn Bike Festival as well. I rode it last year and had a blast. This year I'm trying it on my single-speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by azcycle
    Not to butt-in on the conversation, but I'll be at the same Good Ole Fashioned Mtn Bike Festival as well. I rode it last year and had a blast. This year I'm trying it on my single-speed.
    Buttinskie....just kidding. I am actually planning to make a weekend out of town for those two races. One night and day in Flagstaff, then head down and stay in Prescott for the Skull Valley thing.

How tough is the Flagstaff race? I have been singlespeeding for a few months. I wouldn't mind trying a race on it but I think the flyer said it's 30 miles for single speeders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wouldn't really call it tough. The first 25% of it is forestry road and then after that there is some sweet singletrack with a few tricky rock gardens. Once in the rocky area there isn't much room to pass so most people go all out on the forestry road. Then more nice slightly downhill singletrack that empties out onto a fire road... a couple short descents/climbs on that... (much like the *****es at the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo if you've done that) and then some really fast but rocky singletrack back to the finish.

I raced the "sport" class last year and finished 22nd out of 45. The high altitude really got to me the first lap... I was sucking air badly but the 2nd lap was great. Yes, the SSers start with the expert/pro class and do three laps for a total of 30 miles. We'll see how I do! I've been riding a lot of 30-mile rides here in Tucson on the SS so I know I can do the distance... I just will have to pace myself and not blow up trying to keep up with the gearies. I'm running 32/18 so I'll be spinning like a hamster on crack.

I'll probably be wearing a Rat Fink or South Park jersey and I'll be on a Red/white/black KHS softail, converted to SS. Say "HI" if you spot me. If not, have a great race and good luck in Skull Valley.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by azcycle
    I'll probably be wearing a Rat Fink or South Park jersey and I'll be on a Red/white/black KHS softail, converted to SS. Say "HI" if you spot me. If not, have a great race and good luck in Skull Valley.
    I haven't done many 30+ road rides much less 30 mile mountain rides. I bet I could cover it and finish DFL which to me is still fun. 30 miles in altitude the day before 55 with climbing on the road might not be such a good idea.

These races are just for fun anyway not for placing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAz
    I haven't done many 30+ road rides much less 30 mile mountain rides. I bet I could cover it and finish DFL which to me is still fun. 30 miles in altitude the day before 55 with climbing on the road might not be such a good idea.

These races are just for fun anyway not for placing.
    I agree. I'm never there to place... just fun. I'll be there with a fellow riding buddy also on an SS so we may just decided to hang together for the ride. But yeah... it's all about the fun! Again, good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Kevhogaz will be there and so will I. I will most likely be on a Silver Soma Juice, but it's in the shop with a busted weld waiting for warranty work. If it's not ready I will be relogated to the geared categories. I'll look for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just enter the beginner class, one lap, or if they have a sport class, enter that. you can ride your single speed in a one lap class, and still not be dead for the road race, the next day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm still considering the Skull Valley race, but I doubt I'll be ready for this one. The Flag race for me is also just for fun, and a way to motivate to do more races this season. I haven't raced a mountain bike since 1997, so I'm gonna go out, have a blast, and try to remember why I quit racing, which should take about 5 minutes.

I'll be there on my silver RIP9, and the guy I'm going with, will be on a red Felt squishy bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can either of you guys recommend a hotel, near the race course? I haven't been to Flag, in at least 20 years, so I have no idea where anything is at.

Also, what part of Flag would I find the race course in? I couldn't find anything on the site, with directions to the track. Unless I completely overlooked 'em.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Though I grew up in Flagstaff, I haven't lived there since 1991 and only visit family a few times per year, so I'm not really up on the hotel situation, either. But I do know that there aren't any hotels (that I know of) anywhere near the start/finish. The closest for hotels you're going to get is probably downtown Flag and some of them are a bit scary. I think your best bet is any of them catering to the Interstate 40 travellers. You'll have a tiny drive through town but nothing terrible. I'll be staying with my sister out in Kachina Village so I'll have a bit of a drive than most.

The start finish is 7-miles North of Flagstaff up highway 180 (like you're going to the Grand Canyon) but before you get to Snowbowl ski area. Check out the map here... http://www.absolutebikes.net/mtn_fest/race_descript.htm

Hope this helps!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. I'll see what the guy I'm going up with, is gonna do for a hotel. It's kind of nice that the race starts at 9:00, gives an old guy like me, time to get up, and get moving. I hate early race starts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I was thinking I should only do the 10 mile race, but that seems a bit wimpy. Hm, I am going to decide today and sign up so I am not left out and don't make the first 300.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm only doing the 10 mile option, wimpy or not. I know if I would have signed up for the 20 miler, I'd regret be regretting it, at about the 11 mile mark.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    all this mountain bike talk, I'm considering getting back into it. Its been about 6-7 years since i left alaska and rode serious. I'll look at mtbr.com to see if there are any deals out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmilk9
    all this mountain bike talk, I'm considering getting back into it. Its been about 6-7 years since i left alaska and rode serious. I'll look at mtbr.com to see if there are any deals out there.
    Nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd be lying, if I said there wasn't a ton more rides to hook up with, over at MTBR. Check out Ebay, too Scott.

I traded my old CAAD3 Cannondale for an AR15, over at ARFCOM. I'm thinking you might be able to do something similar, with a mountain bike, if you could only come up with something worth while, to trade.