RoadBikeReview Member

04 Roubaix Elite, Thinkin about Cross wheels...

Hey Gang -
    I've got a 04 Roubaix Elite as my primary road bike, but lately i've been riding in locations where I don't know the roads at all, and I actually might find myself on Gravel, Dirt, Forest Service Roads... etc... The wheels that I have on it currently the Shimano 540s if I recall correctly, and they are decent training wheels but not durable enough for several miles over that kind of terrain without ruining them in a single season.

So, what thoughts do you guys have to using a set of cyclocross wheels on the Roubaix???
    Doable? Any recommendations or things to watchout for? I know that I'll have to reset my breaks but aside from just setting up the brakes wider anything to think about? things I might overlook?

Thanks guys...
    You can ride a BIG WHEEL as long as it puts a smile on your face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I would say your best bet for gravel is to use 700x25 (700x28 would be even better) tires and a 32 spoke wheelset like Ultegra hubs and Open Pro rims. You can find them pretty cheap online at various places.

I have a bunch of gravel roads where I ride and 700x25 Michelin Axial Pro tires (a nice fat 700x25) works great at about 95 - 100 psi and my 155 lb body weight. I ride my 32 spoke wheels when the ride is mainly gravel ... if it is mainly paved roads with short sections of gravel, I ride my regular low spoke count training wheels with no problems.

Gravel roads rock!

-SUB160

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SUB160
    I would say your best bet for gravel is to use 700x25 (700x28 would be even better) tires and a 32 spoke wheelset like Ultegra hubs and Open Pro rims. You can find them pretty cheap online at various places.

I have a bunch of gravel roads where I ride and 700x25 Michelin Axial Pro tires (a nice fat 700x25) works great at about 95 - 100 psi and my 155 lb body weight. I ride my 32 spoke wheels when the ride is mainly gravel ... if it is mainly paved roads with short sections of gravel, I ride my regular low spoke count training wheels with no problems.

Gravel roads rock!

-SUB160
    I agree 100%. A strong high spoke count wheel and 25/28s would be much more desireable. When you break a spoke on the 540s, you're SOL. My son found this out the hard way a few years back. Fortunately, it broke after a long descent and not during. He rides high spoke count Eastons now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, I've been riding the 540s since I got the bike, and their O.K.
    But not durable for what I have in mind, and not what I would consider a great set of road wheels anyway... but a decent training wheel.

I'm gonna head to my LBS to see what they have in stock, The Ultegra hubs would be nice, and I'm wondering how much clearance I have for a tire with some smaller sized knobbies.
    Thanks guys.
    You can ride a BIG WHEEL as long as it puts a smile on your face.