RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

2011 tarmac comp compact

looking into going with the comp compact ultegra or the sl3 expert w/ ultegra...

hear that the sl3 expert is about 16.5 lbs. anyone know the weight of the comp compact?

thanks in advance!

Viking

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyviking
    looking into going with the comp compact ultegra or the sl3 expert w/ ultegra...

hear that the sl3 expert is about 16.5 lbs. anyone know the weight of the comp compact?

thanks in advance!

Viking
    According to Bikerumor the standard Comp was 18.4 lbs., so the compact will be very close to the same.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/07/16/...ctual-weights/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Built mine up and weight inc pedals is 15lb 8oz

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    very nice. build specs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeBradySL2
    Built mine up and weight inc pedals is 15lb 8oz

LeeBrady, very nice I'm getting the same model also and building it up. Did you happen to weigh just the frameset? Also, what size frame is that? Care to give a ride report (responsive, handling, etc..)? Any info would be appreciated.

Cycling induced anoesis
    I'm curious why two posters here are choosing to buy a complete bike, (presumably) tearing it down and rebuilding it. Why not buy a frameset?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    well, I think they already have nice groupos that they are comfortable with. After buying compete, swapping parts and re-selling they may come off better.
    If I had a group set I already really liked I would probably just buy the frameset, but I should be buying as an employee.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nis240sxt
    LeeBrady, very nice I'm getting the same model also and building it up. Did you happen to weigh just the frameset? Also, what size frame is that? Care to give a ride report (responsive, handling, etc..)? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frame size is 56
    Bike rides superbly, very quick responsive handling, turns into corners like a dream, climbs like a mountain goat, the bike is stiff but not too stiff if you know what I mean

Sorry I completely forgot to weigh the frameset

Spec as follows:

FSA K FORCE COMPACT CHAINSET
    DURA ACE BOTTOM BRACKET
    FSA K FORCE 44 BARS
    FSA K FORCE 110 STEM
    FSA K FORCE 25 SETBACK SEATPOST
    GORE CABLES
    SPECIALIZED ALIAS BG 143 SADDLE
    LOOK KEO 2 MAX CARBON PEDALS
    MAVIC KSYRIUM SL 2011
    SCHWALBE ULTREMO R1 TYRES
    ULTEGRA 6700 STI's
    ULTEGRA 6700 BRAKE CALIPERS
    ULTEGRA 6700 FRONT MECH
    ULTEGRA 6700 REAR MECH
    DURA ACE CHAIN
    GARMIN EDGE 705

Click on image for full size pic

Last edited by LeeBradySL2; 10-25-2010 at 10:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyviking
    well, I think they already have nice groupos that they are comfortable with. After buying compete, swapping parts and re-selling they may come off better.
    If I had a group set I already really liked I would probably just buy the frameset, but I should be buying as an employee.
    Okay...................the reason why I bought a complete Tarmac Comp 2011 and stripped it down.

1. I was riding a 2009 Trek Madone Compact with the majority of parts on the Tarmac previously fitted to the Trek

2. I took all the parts off my Trek and replaced them with everything off the new Tarmac so I was left with a used Trek Madone Frame with everything else being brand new and unused. see pic below of trek with new parts on

3. I paid 1750 GBP for the Tarmac Comp from my LBS

4. I sold the Trek Madone for 1450 on fleabay

5. Financially that means the Tarmac Frameset cost me 300 GBP!! Bit of a no brainer really
    Last edited by LeeBradySL2; 10-25-2010 at 11:03 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    For me and most of the times, the color/model I like is not available as a frameset. Therefore, buying the complete bike and selling off the new pieces worked out perfectly. I get the model i really want and gruppo/parts exactly the way I want it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeBradySL2

5. Financially that means the Tarmac Frameset cost me 300 GBP!! Bit of a no brainer really

exactly what I was getting at... you can get more/ spend less by buying compete, swapping parts and selling old frame with new group.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Just to clarify my question. I wasn't posing it in any judgemental way. It was simply a curiosity on why two posters in one thread would have done essentially the same thing with a new (complete) bike. IMO/E that's somewhat unusual, but not at all unheard of. And I'm in agreement that there are a number of reasons to do so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    So nice!!!, i have a tarmca comp very similiar to your bike, mine is in white color and with ksyrium sr wheels, now i i`ll fit a prologo saddle and i want to install a new stem too, could you answer me a question, what brand are the direction spacers???, does it fit ok with the cane creek???, cause i'm trying to find the original cane creek carbon spacers but i don't find them
    Cheers!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    nice bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    soooooo niccceeee

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi Lee Brady, Smooth Bike
    What is the extender you use for the Garmin Edge ?
    I can see the ITM logo, but cannot find the item on their WWW site.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Mine:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 tarmac comp compact-29032012374.jpg  
    Last edited by CEARACING; 04-26-2012 at 02:29 AM.