Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Just curious about this frame. I'm frame searching and I think I'm set onto buying the Allez (2012). But I was wondering what does this Frameset truely come with? The OSBB = bb30? Does it come with Adapter cups to fit standard cranks (sram force to be exact)?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, yes, and no. It is BB30. It comes with adapters for a Shimano type crank. Wheels Mfg makesone for SRAM cranks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OSBB can be BB30 or PF30, however in the case of the Allez, it is the BB30. Bearings are included, and adapters are included, however it's for shimano cranks, not sram.
    "Those who like it, like it A LOT!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks guys .. I'm real excited about getting one. I wish you had a selection of "frameset" color - at least from what I can see from the specialized website itself. When time comes when I have the money; I'll be stopping by the LBS and I'll ask. But does anyone here that ordered one know if you have an option or not?

ALSO : BB30 Adapter to standard obb sram cranks. What is the pro and con here? I'm expecting weight; sure. But list them. I'm all for learning new things.

@Optimus : PF30? What bikes have this sizing. I understand fully what a BB30 is , but what is this PF30??

Thanks guys for your reply's and write ups

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by modemthug View Post
    Thanks guys .. I'm real excited about getting one. I wish you had a selection of "frameset" color - at least from what I can see from the specialized website itself. When time comes when I have the money; I'll be stopping by the LBS and I'll ask. But does anyone here that ordered one know if you have an option or not?

ALSO : BB30 Adapter to standard obb sram cranks. What is the pro and con here? I'm expecting weight; sure. But list them. I'm all for learning new things.

@Optimus : PF30? What bikes have this sizing. I understand fully what a BB30 is , but what is this PF30??

Thanks guys for your reply's and write ups

If you're in the US, only the white/red/black frame is available as a frameset.
    PF30 is pressfit 30, very similar to bb30, however the bearings are pressed into a plastic cup before pressed into the bb shell. Frame determines if it's pf30 or bb30, but they share the same cranks.
    "Those who like it, like it A LOT!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    PF30 comes on some of the Tarmac models. It's just a different bearing interface, the bearing and cranks themselves are still the same. The only con of using the adapter is that in a sense you are wasting the capability of the frame by not using a BB30 crankset. The benefit is not having to go out and buy a new crank if there's nothing wrong with the one you already have.
    The frame itself does benefit from the BB30 shell, it allows for a stiffer lower triangle due to it larger size. It can also be argued that the shell will be slightly stronger since it doesn't have threads cut into it. Sharp cut edges are essentially stress risers that can lead to cracks over time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Warrenty is not really said on the specialized website when I tried searching for it. Does anyone know how they work? Never owned a specialized. I heard the Cannondale CAAD10 has a crash replacement system? Correct me if I'm wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Not sure about their carbon frames, but the aluminum frames carry a lifetime warranty for original owner. If the fails and it's 'your' fault, i.e. a crash, then they do offer a good discount through their crash replacement program. It's about 30-40% off MSRP.
    This was how I got my frame. My older Allez developed a crack. They were going to just outright give me a replacement, an '11 frameset. I asked about the new '12 with OSBB and the Tarmac tapered fork, they said sure but it couldn't be free, I would have to pay the crash replacement cost. I thought that was more than fair since their first offer was a 100% free replacement. I was quite willing to pay for something a little nicer.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Not sure about their carbon frames, but the aluminum frames carry a lifetime warranty for original owner. If the fails and it's 'your' fault, i.e. a crash, then they do offer a good discount through their crash replacement program. It's about 30-40% off MSRP.
    This was how I got my frame. My older Allez developed a crack. They were going to just outright give me a replacement, an '11 frameset. I asked about the new '12 with OSBB and the Tarmac tapered fork, they said sure but it couldn't be free, I would have to pay the crash replacement cost. I thought that was more than fair since their first offer was a 100% free replacement. I was quite willing to pay for something a little nicer.
    The same applies to Spec's CF framesets.
    http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...arranty_r1.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I know Specialized also has a crash replacement program, but I don't know how it works or how cheap it is. Warranty, in general, with Specialized has always been fairly good and your LBS should be able to help out if you have a warranty problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I'm finally done with my little (2011) Allez/6700 build.

I was worried I may have gone too white but now that it's build I think its fine.

Not weighted yet, once it is I'll update the post.

So far I've got one quick 25 mile ride in. It's definitely a stiff bike, I like the new shape of the 6700 levers and shifting is smooth. (note, pervious road bike was a 2006 Allez with 105 components)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Allez w/Ultegra 6700 build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330408551.571048.jpg   2012 Allez w/Ultegra 6700 build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1330408645.698275.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks real nice. Did you ever consider doing double with blue and white bar tape?
    2012 Specialized Tarmac Expert SL3 |
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5

carpe omnes
    Nice clean build. Maybe it's just me, or the angle in the last pic, but it seems like there is a little too much daylight between the conical spacer and your head tube.
    "let them hate, so long as they fear"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by todayilearned View Post
    Looks real nice. Did you ever consider doing double with blue and white bar tape?
    I put some thought into that option as well as using the Fizik tape that was solid white with the one blue edge. In the end I decided I wanted to start with solid white.

All my previous bikes have had black tape, time will tell how long I stick with white ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lactic acidosis View Post
    Nice clean build. Maybe it's just me, or the angle in the last pic, but it seems like there is a little too much daylight between the conical spacer and your head tube.
    Thanks and good eye... I took a closer look and the spacer does sit flat and tight on the head tube. The angle of the photo must have caused the illusion, if I remember right I was below the bike shooting up a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I want to say thanks to the OP and posters doing the same build. The OP pictures/steps are a real help. I've been gathering the parts for a 2012 build and I should end up assembling it in the next 2 weeks.

Unusually warm winter here in the midwest...I can barely hold still and the spring anticipation is eating me alive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Travisk View Post
    I'm finally done with my little (2011) Allez/6700 build.

I was worried I may have gone too white but now that it's build I think its fine.

Not weighted yet, once it is I'll update the post.

So far I've got one quick 25 mile ride in. It's definitely a stiff bike, I like the new shape of the 6700 levers and shifting is smooth. (note, pervious road bike was a 2006 Allez with 105 components)
    i wonder if the carbon seat rail smoothen your ride?
    i am always kinda afraid of the alu steerer and frame wil make the ride hard for my axx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Love my allez too

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CracKinG DucK View Post
    i wonder if the carbon seat rail smoothen your ride?
    i am always kinda afraid of the alu steerer and frame wil make the ride hard for my axx
    The saddle on my Allez doesn't have carbon rails, however, I had carbon rails on another bike and really didn't notice any difference.

I do have an s-works carbon seat post on the way, I think that will make more of a difference than seat rails.

I delayed building this bike for a month in search of a Tarmac fork. Decided to build it with stock fork and have been pleasantly surprised that the ride isn't harsh at all.

I'm keeping my eyes open for an sl3 fork. It's more of a weight thing than a ride quality.

T

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Travisk View Post
    The saddle on my Allez doesn't have carbon rails, however, I had carbon rails on another bike and really didn't notice any difference.

I do have an s-works carbon seat post on the way, I think that will make more of a difference than seat rails.

I delayed building this bike for a month in search of a Tarmac fork. Decided to build it with stock fork and have been pleasantly surprised that the ride isn't harsh at all.

I'm keeping my eyes open for an sl3 fork. It's more of a weight thing than a ride quality.

T
    Nice to see your reply.
    I am glad that the ride quality is not that bad on this bike and can be improved by using a carbon seat post.May i ask if you're heavy or light? I am quite light (~55kg) and afraid of those road buzz.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CracKinG DucK View Post
    Nice to see your reply.
    I am glad that the ride quality is not that bad on this bike and can be improved by using a carbon seat post.May i ask if you're heavy or light? I am quite light (~55kg) and afraid of those road buzz.
    I'm a little heavier than you, 65 kg.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123