Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

2012 Roubaix- warranty job?

The frame near one of the rear dropouts on my beloved 2012 Roubaix seems to be rusting under the paintwork- see the bubbles in the attached photos.

As I am the original owner, would this be covered under Specialized's warranty? If so, I doubt that I would receive a new version of the frame I have, so any ideas how Specialized would address this?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

2012 Roubaix- warranty job?-img_2615.jpg2012 Roubaix- warranty job?-img_2613.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I can't be rust because that's not a steel frame.

So I'll presume that's an aluminum frame. Salted water i.e., sweat or road spray, will penetrate small cracks in the paint. The aluminum will bubble on the surface but it won't structually damage or compromise the frame.

I doubt Specialized will warranty it; their view will be you failed to take care of the frame properly. And that's true; after those sweaty or salt-influenced rides, you HAVE to wipe the frame down with plain water. Trust me; as a long time steel frame owner, I've learned a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I'd take it in to the shop where you purchased the bike and ask them. The frame is carbon, but the dropout is Al. My completely arbitrary (based on internet pictures) guess is that the joint is corroding between the two and failing. As long as your the original owner with proof of purchase, it never hurts to ask.
    Even if they say it's paint failure and the warranty for paint was only one year, they are usually pretty good with offering 'crash replacements' where you can get a new frame at a steep discount if you turn in the damaged one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I would agree with rcb78 assessment and have it looked at. If he's right, I would believe that joint is severely compromised and would deem it unsafe to ride.

I would be looking for a new bike frame, either paid by you or Specialized.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstaph View Post
    ... any ideas how Specialized would address this?
    First off, do NOT ride that bike.

IMO, in order of likelihood...
    1. They'll offer a crash replacement
    2. They'll offer nothing
    3. They'll warranty it

But the place to start is a Spec dealer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Or they take it on trade and sell you a new bike

There is lots of good word about the new Roubaix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks all - it's not really what I wanted to hear but I suspected that might be the case. I'm off to see what the dealer says

RoadBikeReview Member
    When did an aluminum Roubaix come out? I must of missed that model.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    I'm with you...

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I thought a couple years ago Specialized came out with their Smart Wall technology which was hydroformed aluminum. I could be wrong. I just assumed they were (still?) offering it.

Good call about the aluminum dropout bonded to the carbon. Yes, carbon will react with aluminum so there has to be an insulator between the two materials such as Kevlar fabric sleeving. Direct contact between the two could cause the result seen in the photos. I'd be curious to see if Specialized warranties that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    There were E5 Roubaix frames back in the early life of the model. The one in the picture clearly is not though, the dropout design is a dead giveaway. That said, the dropouts are Al moulded into the carbon tubing. I don't know how extensive the joint is though which is why he should get it looked at by a dealer.
    Last edited by rcb78; 04-07-2017 at 08:43 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quick update if anyone is interested, my LBS has taken photos and a copy of the original receipt to send off to the Specialized rep on Monday. Stay tuned...

Peter P, it is a full carbon frame with alloy dropouts. I probably should have used "corroded" rather than "rust" in the initial post, sorry for the confusion

RoadBikeReview Member
    A curious thread. Can you tell us the history of the bike? Do you live near the ocean?
    Most of us have never seen that level of corrosion on a Specialized Al bike.

Lastly, I wonder where you get the Roubaix name from? The bike you show is not a Specialized Roubaix FWIW. Perhaps the bike is an Al Roubaix from another brand.

If you insist the bike is a Specialized Roubaix, please post pictures showing the rest of the frameset to prove this. Only other wildcard if it is a Roubaix is...it maybe a very early example when the bike was created well over a decade ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Just curious, with a bold statement that it's not a Specialized Roubaix, what makes you think that with the pictures provided.

Just curious, not trying to poke the bear.

Forever a Student
    A curious thread. Can you tell us the history of the bike? Do you live near the ocean?
    Most of us have never seen that level of corrosion on a Specialized Al bike.

Lastly, I wonder where you get the Roubaix name from? The bike you show is not a Specialized Roubaix FWIW. Perhaps the bike is an Al Roubaix from another brand.

If you insist the bike is a Specialized Roubaix, please post pictures showing the rest of the frameset to prove this. Only other wildcard if it is a Roubaix is...it maybe a very early example when the bike was created well over a decade ago.
    Must be hard to live inside of your head.

I'll put some money down saying the OP is dead accurate and you're full of it.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I'll put some money down saying the OP is dead accurate and you're full of it.
    Thanks for the voice of confidence, I have no idea what 11spd is on about. It's a white/ carbon 2012 Expert, see https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...tcompact/35096

I don't live near the ocean, and here's a photo of it in full

Attachment 318609

Perhaps I'm just feeding the trolls by responding

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can you show us pictures of the bike?...and not just the drop out. Is that the factory paint job? Believe many here believes that's an Al bike. Perhaps it isn't. Most of us...me...have never seen a carbon bike...any bike...bubble like that.

Unless you show greater context, it isn't a stretch to incredulity to believe that isn't a carbon Roubaix. I own a 2012 carbon Roubaix SL3 Pro FWIW. I am very familiar with that bike.

Show us more pics. If the frameset is carbon and was repainted this may explain the bubbling...if the frame was contaminated when repainted. The carbon lay up may in fact be OK...or maybe not. Generally Al doesn't bubble aka rust either...more common with steel and that isn't a steel frameset because the downtube shown is too large in diameter. Show us pics of the 'bike'...as requested.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Some sort of Galvanic corrosion between carbon and alloy bonded components?
    By the way, your cassette looks REALLY clean, were you spraying any sort of degreaser or anything onto that area of the bike that may have damaged the paint?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    By the way, your cassette looks REALLY clean, were you spraying any sort of degreaser or anything onto that area of the bike that may have damaged the paint?
    No degreaser, the cassette is brand new in the photo. I've actually just replaced the entire groupset with Ultegra 6800 as one of the original 10 speed shifters broke. Hence why I'll be a bit upset if the frame is no good.

11spd, it's not been repainted or crashed. I'm not sure why you're so suspicious. If you won't take me at my word I'll just say thanks thanks for your contribution to this point and leave it at that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the voice of confidence, I have no idea what 11spd is on about. It's a white/ carbon 2012 Expert, see https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...tcompact/35096

I don't live near the ocean, and here's a photo of it in full

Attachment 318609

Perhaps I'm just feeding the trolls by responding
    The attachment isn't working.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No degreaser, the cassette is brand new in the photo. I've actually just replaced the entire groupset with Ultegra 6800 as one of the original 10 speed shifters broke. Hence why I'll be a bit upset if the frame is no good.

11spd, it's not been repainted or crashed. I'm not sure why you're so suspicious. If you won't take me at my word I'll just say thanks thanks for your contribution to this point and leave it at that.
    Suspicion can be easily explained. For some reason you won't show a pic of the bike after asked repeatedly. But that isn't all. We are all bike enthusiasts. I have been building race bikes for four decades and an early adopter of carbon. I have ridden with hundreds of riders mostly on carbon but on Aluminum, Ti and of course steel. I have NEVER seen your issue on ANY carbon fiber bicycle...or an Al bike either. Of course steel can rust.

So that is why the suspicion. Of course there can be a first time for everything and perhaps this is such an instance and why I have requested more pictures.

Hope that makes sense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Suspicion can be easily explained. For some reason you won't show a pic of the bike after asked repeatedly. But that isn't all. We are all bike enthusiasts. I have been building race bikes for four decades and an early adopter of carbon. I have ridden with hundreds of riders mostly on carbon but on Aluminum, Ti and of course steel. I have NEVER seen your issue on ANY carbon fiber bicycle...or an Al bike either. Of course steel can rust.

So that is why the suspicion. Of course there can be a first time for everything and perhaps this is such an instance and why I have requested more pictures.

Hope that makes sense.
    Well he attempted to post a picture but the attachments on this forum aren't completely straight forward and it isn't the first I've seen them not work when someone is attempting to post one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    @11spd, it looks like galvanic corrosion to me. This is when electrons jump between the aluminum and the carbon at the bond joint causing the alloy to corrode. The corrosion is bubbling up the paint at this joint which is what you are seeing.
    Last edited by Bad Ronald; 04-10-2017 at 12:38 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    The attachment isn't working.
    Weird, it worked for me. I'll try another
    2012 Roubaix- warranty job?-img_1469.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. Problem with the galvantic corrosion theory is...carbon fiber isn't prone to it.
    But...perhaps the alloy dropout/carbon bond allows infiltration through the carbon lay up. What is curious is...that the bubbling perpetuates well up the seat stay.
    Thanks again for showing the bike FWIW I have the same frame with same 10r carbon and ride it everyday with no corrosion and I live on the gulf coast with a lot of salty air and my body pours salt water from my body on the frame due to hot temps.

Hope you can get some warranty compensation from Specialized.
    Good luck.
    My SL3 Pro with Campy:

Weird, it worked for me. I'll try another
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1469.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	318630
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Roubaix- warranty job?-roubaix-120mm-flipped-down-4-09-16-copy.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast