Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    My girlfriend made the Madone to Roubaix switch (per my recommendation). She liked her Madone, but the Roubaix was a frame upgrade (and price), and she loves it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    That is great to hear. Yeah everything that I have been reading about the roubaix been nothing but good and I think it fits my type of riding as well. I currently have a Madone myself and was looking for something that will give me a little bit more bit but at the same time be smooth so then I can do centuries without hurting too bad, lol.

Thanks for the input.

EWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JRock457 View Post
    Very nice bikes!!!! I am thinking of moving from the Madone to the S-Works Roubaix myself. I like the fact that it is light stiff but at the same time comfortable. I have only had the chance of riding the 2012 SL3 around the parking lot so I don't know if it is a real indicator of anything but I was really impressed.

Anyone else switch from a Madone to a Roubaix?
    I rode a Madone 5.9 and a Roubaix S-Works SL2 back to back about a month ago. The difference in ride was significant. The same bumps suddenly felt 30% smaller on the Roubaix. I went in expecting to like the Madone better and ended buying a SL2 frame.

banned
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EWT View Post
    I rode a Madone 5.9 and a Roubaix S-Works SL2 back to back about a month ago. The difference in ride was significant. The same bumps suddenly felt 30% smaller on the Roubaix. I went in expecting to like the Madone better and ended buying a SL2 frame.
    You got a big discount on the SL2? I'm riding one but got it back in late 2009, I think for about $800 off retail..

The 5.2 was a nice bike at that time too. I just wanted room for fat tires...

banned
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mlondon View Post
    This thread seems an excellent place to ask a question that is on my mind.

I have a '07 Roubaix Expert which over the years I've completely upgraded (SRAM Red, Reynolds wheels, etc.) However the frame has developed a crack and I'm in the process of TRYING to get a warranty replacement from Specialized (never crashed, just appeared...).

The first shop I brought it to had their Specialzed rep look at it and said they will not replace under warranty, but offered me a price of $1,999 on a S-Works frame, which is $1,000 less than the usual $3,000 retail price.

I'm bringing the frame to another shop today who says he has a better relationship with Specialized and claims he can probably get it replaced under warranty. If that happens, I'll have a new 2012 Roubaix Expert frame for free.

I used to race when I was younger, now 49 and love riding for the sake of riding, and love the plush yet snappy ride of the Roubaix.

For those of you who have ridden both S-Works and non-S-Works Roubaixs, do you think I should pass up the offer of a free frame to get the discounted S-Works. Will cost me about $2,600 by the time I swap the parts over, tax, etc. Much more than I was planning on spending.

I'm less concerned about the weight, as my bike is already quite light, much more interested in the quality and "complience" of the ride.

Many thanks.
    I think you should get the Expert frame for free. My 2009 S Works has the 10r carbon also and apparently the layup on the Pro has changed for the better so I doubt there's all that much difference between it and the current S-Works. It's most likely superior to previous generations of S-Works although who knows by how much. I actually liked the ride of the Pro back then and I think that was the 9r carbon.

What was the reason they wouldn't replace your cracked frame. I thought it was a lifetime warranty? I hate having to negotiate this stuff where a lifetime warranty is apparently not for the life of the frame. What kind of crap is that?

EWT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-X View Post
    You got a big discount on the SL2? I'm riding one but got it back in late 2009, I think for about $800 off retail...
    I got ~$1000 off the original price of the frame. I built it up with Ultegra Di2, and couldn't be happier. Great bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Hi JRock457

I am the lucky owner of both a Roubaix S-Works SL2 & SL3!!
    I used to ride a Scott CR1 (the one before the Comfy version), and I chose that one over the Madone, for its very stiff head tube, but I never thought changing to a Roubaix, could mean that much of a difference in how fast I am on my rides, and how less exhausted I'll feel after the ride...! - But I have never looked back after switching to Roubaix - My guess is, that you'll love the way those Roubaix frames simply do everything extremely well.

I must say though, that the SL3 S-Works seems a bit stiffer in both the BB and the head tube, compared to the SL2 S-Works.

With respect

Mads

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I rode a 2008 Roubaix Expert and wanted something stiffer for the big climbs here...looked at Cervelo RS (wish i looked at R3), Look, Trek, Scott and several others...was not looking to get another Roubaix...though the bike was most comfortable by far...I wanted a stiffer more race/comfort bike. Guy selling Cervelo's told me I had to look at the Roubaix SL3 Expert as it was perfect for what i wanted. He let me take it on a test ride right after the Cervelo and it was a game changer...my looking was over...SL3 Expert is a fanastic bike...comfortable (not as comfy as the 2008 fact 8 roubaix), stiff, climbs like a goat, and steady handling. Bought the bike and took it out...GREAT RIDE...noticed blemish in the coating and took it to the bike shop. They said cosmetic and just put fingernail polish over it. Was having it tuned at another shop and they said Specialized to proud of their reputation and wouldnt accept and to let them call. Specialized replaced the frame with the Blue and Black Pro frame...Road the bike once and it was great (basically same frame). Wife took it in for adjustment when i was on business trip and called me saying they found a small bubble (rise) in a section of the paint under the seat (same as other area had varnish issue)...I was bumming. Shop manager come on and informed me Specialized said they would replace it with a grey Pro frame. Informed them i didnt really prefer the grey frame and did they have any 2011 frames or could i pay the difference and upgrade to a S-work frame as i wanted the red and black (didnt know about the yellow/black). They called me back and asked if i would take the yellow/black s-works frame for the price of the shop changing out parts ($79). Today will be my first ride on my 2012 S-Works SL3 frame...it looks great in pictures, but up close and personnel it is gorgeous.

OP...I would probably exchange for the SL3 expert frame as it is a game changer compared to roubaix prior to 2009. It is free and that frame is so sweet you wont wipe the grin off your face for some time. If you have the cash and they let you upgrade, and you want the S-Works status you cant go wrong their either...i wish i could give you specific ride comparisons but havent been out on S-Works yet...but when i do i will let you know. I had money in my slush fund and do not like all grey bikes and loved the red and white sworks...only reason i considered the S-Works option...SL3 Pro frame is a great frame. Either frame will give you a great riding experience for many years.

My confidence in Specialized frames is not tarnished...both problems on the bikes were just cosmetic in nature. I did build further confidence in Specialized customer service however; as they went to great lengths to ensure I knew I made the right decision staying with them...I will not need a road bike for some time i believe...but if family or friend needs one you know who i am directing them to...did i mention how good the yellow/black Roubaix S-Works looks in person.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    sick. post pics!!!

just picked up a 2012 roubaix elite and very happy.

Metal Dave
    May 2005

2012 SL3 S-Works Update....

Just wanted to pass along an update on how much I like this bike, except......Ok, all my averages have gone up, bike refuses to go slow, smooth as butter, and just makes me want to ride everyday!
    Only complaint would be the Dura Ace shifting that I thought would be great, and so far has been sh*t!!! I've had the bike back to my LBS 3 times, and I'm hoping that all is good now....Been shifting like crap ever since I took delivery, would not even shift up on the rear cogs upon my first ride! I took it back and they said I needed a new hanger, so they ordered one, and adjusted the rear as best they could...It shifted ok, but was making a hell of a clicking noise while in the upper 4 rear cogs so I took it back and had the mechanic look at it again (this time it was their ace mechanic). He was not happy with it either, and he spent an hour tweeking this and that, and said to take it out and if need be bring it back the next day. He also said Shimano would cover any or all replacement parts under warranty if need be....Kinda makes me sick to have spent so much money, and have to deal with this crap from day one...my old Roubaix(Sram) has been bulletproof ever since I bought it (thinking I should've stayed Red....
    So today I head out for my usual 40, and damn it if the rear keeps hanging on the upshifts Again!!! Now I'm pissed so I head back to the LBS where the ace mechanic says he spent the night thinking about my bike, and did some research on it...he said that the bikes are shipped with a plastic tube protecting the cable that runs through the frame, and they are instructed to remove it upon delivery/setup...his theory was that because of the bends in the cable where it exits the frame in the rear, there is a lot of friction, and it is causing it to hang up...He greased up the cable, installed it into the plastic tubing, and re-installed it into the frame leaving it in the plastic tubing to reduce the friction. So far, so good...it seems to be shifting like it should have since I took delivery! Time will tell, and hopefully the problem is solved. I'll post a follow-up after I get a few rides in to see if the problem is solved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Hi, fantastic bikes! I am a long time lurker on these forums but have somehow not managed to get my 5 requisite post counts to start a new thread. At any rate( I really don't want to hijack, but this is related to Roubaix framesets), I would like to know if anyone here can tell me if the 2012 Roubaix Elite shares the same fork and seatstays as the SL3(I understand that they were redesigned to allow the ballon to go down past the zertz)? I have searched everywhere for answers to no avail but have noticed looking at pics that several design cues appear to be much closer to the SL3 than the SL2. So far the only obvious and definitive difference that I can make out is that the rear brake cable is routed through the toptube. Many thanks, hoping to get my new Roubaix very very soon.

Metal Dave
    May 2005
    Ok, my bad...I just did some searching here on the net and discovered that the shifting problems on the roubaix with the internal cable routing has been well documented, and there is even a Tech bulletin(dated 11/23/2010) from Specialized on it!!! I am going to send it to my mechanic, and hopefully if the problem persists, he can take care of it for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesnhere View Post
    Ok, my bad...I just did some searching here on the net and discovered that the shifting problems on the roubaix with the internal cable routing has been well documented, and there is even a Tech bulletin(dated 11/23/2010) from Specialized on it!!! I am going to send it to my mechanic, and hopefully if the problem persists, he can take care of it for me.
    Hi Dave

Could you post a link to the tech bulletin??

Would be nice to be prepared if I should ever encounter such a problem!!

Thanks

With Respect

Mads

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesnhere View Post
    Sadly your 'ace' mechanic doesn't know what he is doing. With proper set up...I built my Roubaix SL3 Pro frameset up...the bike will shift flawlessly. No grease should be applied to the cable. My new Roubaix shifts better than my previous Look roadbike with external cable routing with the same groupset.
    Good luck. Cable set up isn't rocket science but proper set up from shifter to rear derailleur escapes many.

Metal Dave
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roadworthy View Post
    Sadly your 'ace' mechanic doesn't know what he is doing. With proper set up...I built my Roubaix SL3 Pro frameset up...the bike will shift flawlessly. No grease should be applied to the cable. My new Roubaix shifts better than my previous Look roadbike with external cable routing with the same groupset.
    Good luck. Cable set up isn't rocket science but proper set up from shifter to rear derailleur escapes many.
    Road, Thanks for the input...have been pulling my hair out cause of what I paid for this bike,and it's lack of proper shifting. Gonna give it a few more rides to see how it goes before I take it back (again) and demand the proper set-up!

Metal Dave
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vaetuning View Post
    Hi Dave

Could you post a link to the tech bulletin??

Would be nice to be prepared if I should ever encounter such a problem!!

Thanks

With Respect

Mads
    http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...ifting_fix.pdf

Metal Dave
    May 2005
    Rode a 50 miler today,shifting seems to be ok for now...
    Last edited by Davesnhere; 05-24-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: updating post

RoadBikeReview Member
    I could never get my '09 Roubaix to shift properly in the long run. It would start off nice, but always get out of whack in some way or another. I finally ordered a new hanger, which incidentally is now about 3/8" shorter. Had my friend check it with the Park tool, and now it shifts much better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Just a question to all of the Roubaix owners. I am thinking about swithcing from my 2008 Madone 5.2 to a 2012 Roubaix Expert. I currently ride a 54cm Madone is there that much difference in frame size from Trek to Specialized. The 54 Roubaix is actually a 54.8cm. My bike before the Madone was a 2007 Carbon alum, Roubaix but a 52cm. I am 5'8" and with a 31 3/4 inseam. Any sizing help would be great before I pull the trigger on a new bike.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHawk View Post
    Just a question to all of the Roubaix owners. I am thinking about swithcing from my 2008 Madone 5.2 to a 2012 Roubaix Expert. I currently ride a 54cm Madone is there that much difference in frame size from Trek to Specialized. The 54 Roubaix is actually a 54.8cm. My bike before the Madone was a 2007 Carbon alum, Roubaix but a 52cm. I am 5'8" and with a 31 3/4 inseam. Any sizing help would be great before I pull the trigger on a new bike.
    You are average height..or just under with a std. leg length.
    See Spesh Roubaix sizing chart by height. I believe you are a slam dunk 54 cm which is what the chart suggests.
    Hope that helps.
    PS: if you go a racier fit and opt for a 52, now you somewhat defeat the purpose of the bike...taller head tube is big help to comfort. A 56 will likely be a bit big...but you could ride it as well with a short stem. Believe 54 is the sweet spot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 S-Works Roubaix SL3...-roubaix-height-chart.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Yea i believe Roadworthy nailed it for you. Wife, who is also 5'8", was out testing all week and two different Spec shops put her on a 54 Roubaix. She felt it fit like a glove. I am also that height and on a 54 S-Works Roubaix...now i went and purchased a 3T stealth 100 mm stem instead of the 110 and dropped the rise from 12 degrees to 6 degrees and i am liking it...that stem looks wicked on the bike...personal preference however. To address your question...yes you should fit nicely on a 54 Roubaix Expert.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roadworthy View Post
    You are average height..or just under with a std. leg length.
    See Spesh Roubaix sizing chart by height. I believe you are a slam dunk 54 cm which is what the chart suggests.
    Hope that helps.
    PS: if you go a racier fit and opt for a 52, now you somewhat defeat the purpose of the bike...taller head tube is big help to comfort. A 56 will likely be a bit big...but you could ride it as well with a short stem. Believe 54 is the sweet spot.
    Don't go with that chart, i am 5,7 and 52 is on the limit too big. Test get all your body part mesure, and test on a real bike.
    Last edited by did291; 05-30-2012 at 03:54 PM.

valentin_84
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelerrideon View Post
    Nice bike! Kinda looks familiar. My first Roubaix...switched from a Madone and wished I would have done it sooner!
    I'm going to be stepping up from a Langster track bike soon. Looking for a long distance bike and am eye-balling a Roubaix myself...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

s works +mavicwo

Today just received the frame set,this is first photo,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 S-Works Roubaix SL3...-533064_4014044147276_218983809_n-1.jpeg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Very nice! I had to settle for the 2012 Elite, just picked it up last week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast