Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by john7531 View Post
    Very nice! I had to settle for the 2012 Elite, just picked it up last week.
    well...at least you won't have those miserable shifting problems we've all had here with our internal cable routings.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by keong72 View Post
    Today just received the frame set,this is first photo,
    Looks like the start of an awesome machine. Keep the pics coming!

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by keong72 View Post
    Today just received the frame set,this is first photo,
    Pretty exciting to build such a sweet bike. Next time tho, get a pedicure...kidding. ;)
    Be sure to share your build pics along the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Shifting problems??

Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    well...at least you won't have those miserable shifting problems we've all had here with our internal cable routings.....
    Hi there

Just to correct you - I've had NO shifting problems whatsoever with my S-Works Roubaix SL3, running Campy 11speed.

With Respect

Mads

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    how does sl3 compare to sl2?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

done

Finally done, s works, di2,mavic SL, s works handler and stem,,,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

SL2 vs. SL3

Quote Originally Posted by framesti View Post
    how does sl3 compare to sl2?
    Hi Framesti

Well, I guess there's no uniform answer to your question, but I'll try to give you my version as I experience the differences when riding my 2 bikes....

First of - both are S-Works - 1 SL2 & 1 SL3.

I am 189cm high and I weigh 108kg, former weight lifter, and somewhat power full legs.

Head tube: The SL3 seems to be somewhat stiffer in the head tube area, and one can feel it standing up sprinting, while pulling in the handlebar...
    Furthermore the SL3 steers a bit more confident - both in technical curves and while descending..

BB: The bottom bracket also seems stiffer on the SL3 - but both bikes do have excellent power transfer. But there's just that bit more of snap while accelerating and sprinting on the SL3.

As both have the same geometry - their overall riding characteristics are the same.

Comfort: Here's the main difference - The Fact 10 carbon of the SL2 actually makes the bike feel a little more comfortable than the SL3 with its Fact 11 carbon. But I guess it is the same difference in type of carbon, that make the SL2 feel a little more dull, whereas the SL3 feel more agile and a bit tighter, due to its improved stiffness all over.

At the end, I wish to emphasize that both bikes are quite excellent and I really do enjoy them both!!

With Respect

Mads

banned
    Nov 2011
    SL2 versus SL3...nicely explained Mads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    Well I picked up a 2012 54cm Roubaix Expert Frame set, matched with 2012 gray Ultegra group set w/ carbon pedals, Dura-Ace carbon clinchers, Selle Italia Pro-Link seat,and FSA K-Wing.

Pics to follow the bike is at the shop getting all cabled up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

done

Done it ,,,,,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 S-Works Roubaix SL3...-576719_4023284538280_293780653_n.jpeg  

banned
    Apr 2012

I also wear Mavic Fury MTB shoes. Love the yellow theme.

Metal Dave
    May 2005
    Well after a little over six month's of taking my S-Works back to my LBS numerous times for clunky/erratic shifting, today they finally replaced my frame (Under Warranty) with an SL4 S-Works frame! They said that Specialized is aware there was a design flaw that existed in some (not all) 2012 S-Work Roubaix's, and are replacing them under warranty. I could not be happier to finally have a bike that shifts like it was supposed to all along! Last week I was told that only certain size/color schemes were available, and lucked out getting the Carbon Satin/Charcoal/Neon Red (that I really liked) in my size...Looking forward to getting in as much riding as I can before the snow/bad weather hits here, and will post on here how well it performs after a few hundred miles...

Not a climber
    Wow, lucky you! What flaw in the frame creates bad shifting?

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesnhere View Post
    Well after a little over six month's of taking my S-Works back to my LBS numerous times for clunky/erratic shifting, today they finally replaced my frame (Under Warranty) with an SL4 S-Works frame! They said that Specialized is aware there was a design flaw that existed in some (not all) 2012 S-Work Roubaix's, and are replacing them under warranty. I could not be happier to finally have a bike that shifts like it was supposed to all along! Last week I was told that only certain size/color schemes were available, and lucked out getting the Carbon Satin/Charcoal/Neon Red (that I really liked) in my size...Looking forward to getting in as much riding as I can before the snow/bad weather hits here, and will post on here how well it performs after a few hundred miles...
    Congrats on the new bike. That said, there is nothing physically about any Specialized frame that contributes to 'clunky shifting.' Nothing. Unless there is a piece of the frame that has fallen off...lol. There are copious claims about poor shifting on virtually all top of the line bikes sold and it always comes back to the same thing...poor set up.
    My 2012 Roubaix SL3 which is identical for all intents to the Sworks bike is perhaps the best shifting bike I have owned...with Campy. Also hidden cable routing has nothing to do with poor shifting...another myth. There is no difference in cable friction as there is no contact with cables internal to the frame. Shimano groupsets...both Ultegra and DA are very sensitive to set up because of their short cable pull ratios and inherent design of their groupsets. New Shimano DA is completely redesigned to address these issues.
    Have fun with your new frame. On one hand I believe it is great that Specialized is so supportive of their customer base with free upgraded frames but sadly this cost gets passed to their customer base in terms of frameset purchase prices which have gone up big time for 2013.

Metal Dave
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    Wow, lucky you! What flaw in the frame creates bad shifting?
    Was told it was because of the bend in the cable...for some reason some frames had problems, but most do not...mine did. I said all along it was a problem with the Dura Ace components (I am by no means a mechanic though), and after numerous trips back to my LBS, they contacted Specialized who finally OK'd a new frame....I'll post a pic soon....

Metal Dave
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roadworthy View Post
    Congrats on the new bike. That said, there is nothing physically about any Specialized frame that contributes to 'clunky shifting.' Nothing. Unless there is a piece of the frame that has fallen off...lol. There are copious claims about poor shifting on virtually all top of the line bikes sold and it always comes back to the same thing...poor set up.
    My 2012 Roubaix SL3 which is identical for all intents to the Sworks bike is perhaps the best shifting bike I have owned...with Campy. Also hidden cable routing has nothing to do with poor shifting...another myth. There is no difference in cable friction as there is no contact with cables internal to the frame. Shimano groupsets...both Ultegra and DA are very sensitive to set up because of their short cable pull ratios and inherent design of their groupsets. New Shimano DA is completely redesigned to address these issues.
    Have fun with your new frame. On one hand I believe it is great that Specialized is so supportive of their customer base with free upgraded frames but sadly this cost gets passed to their customer base in terms of frameset purchase prices which have gone up big time for 2013.

Road, I agree completely with everything you said here...I think it is awesome that a company stands behind their product enough to replace a major part of it. For the money I spent, my bike should not have shifted as badly as it was...that being said, was my LBS at fault here for it's set-up/adjustments/etc(probably)...I dunno, I'm not a mechanic. I stated to them from day one that I thought it was a problem with the Dura Ace components, they insisted on going the "problem with the frame" route, and also told me it was a well documented problem. Who am I to complain when they replaced my frame under warranty?

banned
    Nov 2011
    Was told it was because of the bend in the cable...for some reason some frames had problems, but most do not...mine did. I said all along it was a problem with the Dura Ace components (I am by no means a mechanic though), and after numerous trips back to my LBS, they contacted Specialized who finally OK'd a new frame....I'll post a pic soon....
    I am sorry but to me this is complete BS. There is nothing on a frame that contributes to poor shifting. If you had DA, then likely the shop didn't know how to set it up. As mentioned in my previous post, of all groupsets out there, Ultegra and DA...essentially the same...are sensitive to set up. Many reports of poor shifting that can be resolved with vigilant set up. The frame has nothing to do with it. Shimano reworked its DA 7900 which many pan for a myriad of issues. New DA 9000 is reported to be a vast improvement and the first time in 20 years Shimano has changed its rear derailleur pull ratio...again in response to balky shifting due to greater shifter friction when routing cables under the bar tape. DA 7800 by comparison never had as many issues as DA 7900 because of reduced cable friction of routing cables outside the bar tape.
    Enjoy your new frame...reports are the new SL4 Roubaix is simply outstanding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    I swear this bike is making me such a better rider in all areas.

Metal Dave
    May 2005

banned
    Nov 2011
    Beautiful. How about a review? New groupset or transfer? How does it shift?
    Congrats!

Metal Dave
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roadworthy View Post
    Beautiful. How about a review? New groupset or transfer? How does it shift?
    Congrats!
    Thanks Road..It was just a transfer (DA)..So far it's only got 30 miles on it (1 ride), mostly cause of my other addiction (Mountain Biking), LOL..Anyhow, My freaking heart sank as the first upshift hung up just like the old frame (you were right in your earlier posts)..but after a few miles, and running through the gears, it definitely improved. New frame is freaking amazing...I can really feel the difference, and my times all went up to verify it! Major headwinds yesterday when I rode, and I was still able to best 6 of my regular segments! I am so stoked, as I was kinda worried that I gave up the best frame I ever owned for this one, but after yesterday I couldn't be any happier. The jury is still out on the shifting (gonna give it a few hundred miles to see how it goes)...Wish there was another Specialized dealer close by to try, Might end up going electric down the road, who knows? What do you recommend?

banned
    Nov 2011
    Thanks Road..It was just a transfer (DA)..So far it's only got 30 miles on it (1 ride), mostly cause of my other addiction (Mountain Biking), LOL..Anyhow, My freaking heart sank as the first upshift hung up just like the old frame (you were right in your earlier posts)..but after a few miles, and running through the gears, it definitely improved. New frame is freaking amazing...I can really feel the difference, and my times all went up to verify it! Major headwinds yesterday when I rode, and I was still able to best 6 of my regular segments! I am so stoked, as I was kinda worried that I gave up the best frame I ever owned for this one, but after yesterday I couldn't be any happier. The jury is still out on the shifting (gonna give it a few hundred miles to see how it goes)...Wish there was another Specialized dealer close by to try, Might end up going electric down the road, who knows? What do you recommend?
    Awesome. Love the color and look of the bike. That would be the one I would get...if I could work up the muster to break the piggie bank to pony up. A suggestion is...if the shifting continues to languish...lose the DA 7900. Both new Red...and Campy shift much more solidly than DA 7900. I actually bought a DA 7900 Groupset as an experiment to put on my Roubaix SL3 and hated it and reinstalled my Campy group. Sram redesigned Red this year and it is said to be a lot better. Other couple of options are....Shimano Ultegra Di2 is excellent...and Shimano's new DA...complete redesign is probably as good as any mechanical groupset out there.
    Have fun...what a great bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Sweet Bike Dave... I made a deal earlier this week on the same color frame, complete build with the new Red. The cobble gobbler didn't come with the build because there is some kind of manufacture problem but once they come out, I'll get that too. I had my shop order a shorter stem for me so until that comes in... no pics because the stem on the bike is white just to make the correct fit. I'll take the bike for her cherry ride Sat.

Metal Dave
    May 2005
    5 years later, the SL4/S-Works Roubaix is still going strong and still my favorite bike of all time!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123