Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74
  1. #1
    Metal Dave
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33

    2012 S-Works Roubaix SL3...

    Finally got around to uploading a picture....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 S-Works Roubaix SL3...-dscn0989.jpg  

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,488
    You own one of the nicest bikes on the planet.
    Congrats.

  3. #3
    Metal Dave
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by roadworthy View Post
    You own one of the nicest bikes on the planet.
    Congrats.
    Thanks Man, I'm so addicted to biking, I've been dreaming about an S-Works ever since I got my first Roubaix back in 05. This is the icing on the cake for me. I swear, call it a sickness, but it's all I think about. Most weeks it's...work...ride...work...ride...work...ride...e tc...(If only I didn't have to work)! I'm hoping this bike will be as reliable as my 08 Roubaix Expert...time will tell.

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,488
    You bought the mac daddy in my book. Looks to be nicely proportioned as well...right amount of seat post..not too aggressive bar drop...looks to be a 56cm. I debated about your frame...but in the end I bought its little brother the SL3 Roubaix Pro and love the bike. One part of me wanted the Sworks but in the end I believe I made the best choice since I was building with Campy...and threaded BB is easier to do with a Campy crank.
    Your bike is very sweet and no doubt you will love it. I have had a chance to ride the bike on a few half and metric centuries now..do 1-2 a week...and it is clearly more comfortable and just as fast as my Look road bike it replaced. Have fun..
    Last edited by roadworthy; 04-16-2012 at 02:46 AM.

  5. #5
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,971
    Beautiful bike... congrats!!

  6. #6
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,183
    Great looking build man, looks very light.

  7. #7
    Metal Dave
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    My bad, just realized this should have been posted in the "Bike Pic" thread...is there a way to move it there? Sorry Guys/Gals....

  8. #8
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesnhere View Post
    My bad, just realized this should have been posted in the "Bike Pic" thread...is there a way to move it there? Sorry Guys/Gals....
    You could ask the mods to move it, but it's not uncommon for members to post their bikes in more than one place, so I'd just post another in the Bike Pic thread.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12
    Great looking bike! Do you know how much your bike is weighing at the moment?

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3
    Nice bike! Kinda looks familiar. My first Roubaix...switched from a Madone and wished I would have done it sooner!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 S-Works Roubaix SL3...-metroride.jpg  

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    545
    nice bike!
    how tall are you and what size?

  12. #12
    Metal Dave
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by JRock457 View Post
    Great looking bike! Do you know how much your bike is weighing at the moment?
    Sorry I didn't see your post sooner...before adding the seatbag I had my LBS weigh it...15.05 lbs....after adding seatbag at home on my bathroom scale 16.2 lbs...

  13. #13
    Metal Dave
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by a_avery007 View Post
    nice bike!
    how tall are you and what size?
    I'm 6.0', the bike is a 56...

  14. #14
    Metal Dave
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelerrideon View Post
    Nice bike! Kinda looks familiar. My first Roubaix...switched from a Madone and wished I would have done it sooner!
    Nice!! I almost went with the red and white, but changed my mind after seeing the Green on Black....Just got back from my usual 30 miler...man this bike likes to fly!!! My other Roubaix is more of a laid back, kinda take it easy, go the distance kinda ride(if you know what I mean)...the S-Works just refuses to go slow!!! I've never been this fast so early in the season (the mountain biking I did all winter helped alot too). I swear this bike is making me such a better rider in all areas. I've never been a speed demon, mostly built for distance, but I'm thinking this season is gonna be a Go Fast one!

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3
    This thread seems an excellent place to ask a question that is on my mind.

    I have a '07 Roubaix Expert which over the years I've completely upgraded (SRAM Red, Reynolds wheels, etc.) However the frame has developed a crack and I'm in the process of TRYING to get a warranty replacement from Specialized (never crashed, just appeared...).

    The first shop I brought it to had their Specialzed rep look at it and said they will not replace under warranty, but offered me a price of $1,999 on a S-Works frame, which is $1,000 less than the usual $3,000 retail price.

    I'm bringing the frame to another shop today who says he has a better relationship with Specialized and claims he can probably get it replaced under warranty. If that happens, I'll have a new 2012 Roubaix Expert frame for free.

    I used to race when I was younger, now 49 and love riding for the sake of riding, and love the plush yet snappy ride of the Roubaix.

    For those of you who have ridden both S-Works and non-S-Works Roubaixs, do you think I should pass up the offer of a free frame to get the discounted S-Works. Will cost me about $2,600 by the time I swap the parts over, tax, etc. Much more than I was planning on spending.

    I'm less concerned about the weight, as my bike is already quite light, much more interested in the quality and "complience" of the ride.

    Many thanks.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    149
    I currently have an S-Works Roubaix SL2 (2009) and while I've never ridden a non-SW Specialized prior, I doubt if I can tell the difference in ride quality between an SW Roubaix frame and a non-SW Roubaix. I'm guessing the current year Expert with a different carbon lay-up and frame design will ride smoother and provide snappier feel compared to your 2007 Expert. I think you'll be very happy with a 2012 Expert, but $1999 for a current SW Roubaix is a great price.

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by mlondon View Post
    This thread seems an excellent place to ask a question that is on my mind.

    I have a '07 Roubaix Expert which over the years I've completely upgraded (SRAM Red, Reynolds wheels, etc.) However the frame has developed a crack and I'm in the process of TRYING to get a warranty replacement from Specialized (never crashed, just appeared...).

    The first shop I brought it to had their Specialzed rep look at it and said they will not replace under warranty, but offered me a price of $1,999 on a S-Works frame, which is $1,000 less than the usual $3,000 retail price.

    I'm bringing the frame to another shop today who says he has a better relationship with Specialized and claims he can probably get it replaced under warranty. If that happens, I'll have a new 2012 Roubaix Expert frame for free.

    I used to race when I was younger, now 49 and love riding for the sake of riding, and love the plush yet snappy ride of the Roubaix.

    For those of you who have ridden both S-Works and non-S-Works Roubaixs, do you think I should pass up the offer of a free frame to get the discounted S-Works. Will cost me about $2,600 by the time I swap the parts over, tax, etc. Much more than I was planning on spending.

    I'm less concerned about the weight, as my bike is already quite light, much more interested in the quality and "complience" of the ride.

    Many thanks.
    My suggestion aka way I would play it in your shoes is:

    1. Negotiate with the shop with the better relationship with Specialized.
    2. Either get the replacement Expert...the new Roubaix Expert is a superb bike and a big leap ahead versus your '07
    or:
    3. Ask if you can pay the difference to upgrade to the Sworks...which will likely be $1K.

    A. you will be very happy with the Expert. I just built a Roubaix SL3 Pro...ask for the Pro frameset to hang your components on...it is basically the Sworks with 1 step down in carbon...from 11r to 10r. Some say they can feel the difference and others say they can't.

    In any event, you are bound to improve your current bike.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by roadworthy; 04-20-2012 at 01:02 PM.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    93
    mlondon

    The Roubaix Expert and Roubaix Pro are the same frame. The retail Expert and Pro bikes have different components, wheels, paint.

    For 2012:
    Roubaix SL3 Expert - FACT IS 10r carbon SL3 frame
    Roubaix SL3 Pro FACT IS 10r carbon SL3 frame

    What I have experienced is that when Specialized sends a warranty replacement they send the Pro Frameset, since they sell the PRO frameset.
    Just my experience. YMMV
    Yes, they sell the S-Works Roubaix SL3 OSBB Frameset also, but if you get the S-Works frameset as a warranty replacement my advice would be to take a trip to Vegas, you are on a HOT streak!

    There was a major redesign for the Roubaix in 2009, and Specialized has been refining it since then; they just keep making it better and better.
    I had a 2008 Expert, I now have a 2009 Pro, and the difference was significant, nothing wrong with the 2008 Expert, but the redesign for 2009 was a great improvement.

    Good luck, I hope you get a warranty replacement Pro or Expert.
    Moreover, if as roadworthy suggests, you could negotiate the S-works for 1K, I say got for it!

    Good Luck!

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Zampano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by mlondon View Post
    The first shop I brought it to had their Specialzed rep look at it and said they will not replace under warranty, but offered me a price of $1,999 on a S-Works frame, which is $1,000 less than the usual $3,000 retail price.

    Is that *the* Specialized Rep, or the shop guy who talks to Specialized, lol.

    A neighbor's 3 yr old came into the garage and knocked my Roubaix and workstand down cracking the chainstay. The shop manager relayed that account to Specialized, and they did a free courtesy replacement.

    A favorable warranty consideration on an SL3 would be excellent.

  20. #20
    Scott in Maryland
    Reputation: Scott in MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    296
    On the complete bike, I think the 2012 Pro has a BB30 bottom bracket.On the complete bike, I think the 2012 Expert has integrated / threaded bottom cranket. But, the Pro frameset (not complete bike) is integrated / threaded BB.

    In your shoes, if I could get a 2012 S-works frame for a grand, that would be fine by me.... but a broken frame is a broken frame ... and it's under warranty ... so maybe stick to your guns and hold out for a free expert, then take good care of the shop on the swap... new tires, etc.

    In other words, I agree with RW....

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott in MD View Post
    On the complete bike, I think the 2012 Pro has a BB30 bottom bracket.On the complete bike, I think the 2012 Expert has integrated / threaded bottom cranket. But, the Pro frameset (not complete bike) is integrated / threaded BB.

    In your shoes, if I could get a 2012 S-works frame for a grand, that would be fine by me.... but a broken frame is a broken frame ... and it's under warranty ... so maybe stick to your guns and hold out for a free expert, then take good care of the shop on the swap... new tires, etc.

    In other words, I agree with RW....
    I debated when deciding on replacing my Look frame with the new Roubaix Pro you mention. I scoured ebay for a 2011...the model year the SL3 Roubaix came out, but just didn't find what I wanted. I bought my Look frameset off ebay new in 20007 and never had a hint of trouble with it and resold it on ebay to a happy buyer. But cracks do crop up though rare if not induced by crashing or foul play because of all the testing Specialzed does...probably most occur due to mfg. variance in the carbon lay up that is difficult to encompass in production validation testing. There is alway Calfee for repairs and carbon can be typically repaired to 100%. But the issue of a warranty this time around I thought was the prudent path...that and I couldn't find just the right frameset. So I supported my lbs and glad I did. They are nice people but for a bike nut who likes to build bikes, generally better deals can be struck elsewhere. But support of a lbs is a good thing and nice to have warranty support as occurred in the case of the OP.

    The thing that is striking however...just like capability to fix or upgrade a bike...how much variance there is in bike shop support when it comes to warranty. One's fate for warranty support really rests in the capability of the bike shop and rapport they have with Specialized. It really transcends the legitimacy of the issue...but rather if a shop is any good or not...case in point the OP's plight...quite common.
    Last edited by roadworthy; 04-21-2012 at 03:36 AM.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott in MD View Post
    On the complete bike, I think the 2012 Pro has a BB30 bottom bracket.On the complete bike, I think the 2012 Expert has integrated / threaded bottom cranket. But, the Pro frameset (not complete bike) is integrated / threaded BB.
    ..
    Scott

    You are correct about the Bottom brackets,

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiekeboeboe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    20
    Nice!!! Beautifull Black and Yellow S-Works, I own a 2011 S-Works, the SL3 is one hell of a bike, enjoy!

  24. #24
    Metal Dave
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by kiekeboeboe View Post
    Nice!!! Beautifull Black and Yellow S-Works, I own a 2011 S-Works, the SL3 is one hell of a bike, enjoy!
    That 2011 red and white is so NICE!!!

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12
    Very nice bikes!!!! I am thinking of moving from the Madone to the S-Works Roubaix myself. I like the fact that it is light stiff but at the same time comfortable. I have only had the chance of riding the 2012 SL3 around the parking lot so I don't know if it is a real indicator of anything but I was really impressed.

    Anyone else switch from a Madone to a Roubaix?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •