RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

2013 Roval Rapide CLX 40 actual user thoughts

I have a set of the new 2013 Roval Rapide CLX 40 carbon clinchers. They ride incredibly well. I plan to use these for my daily wheels as well as my race wheels. I weigh 148 lbs. My dealer assures me these are designed to take the abuse from everyday use. For those of you who own these wheels, how have they held up for you? Do you use them as your daily training wheels, ever ride dirt roads with them, do they stay true, any issues with the carbon, etc...?? Please, only responses from first hand experience with these wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I have a set on a 2013 Roubaix Expert. This is the only set of carbon wheels I have ever owned/ridden so I dont have any others to compare to. They are nice wheels. Light @ ~ 1400G, 23mm width for a good tire profile. They ride well, and yes, they look great (that does not matter much to me).

Here is the rub for me. Honestly, as a recreational rider, I dont know if they make me any faster at all. I'm not sure I like using a carbon aero profile rim. Even though they are only 40mm, I have had a few nervous moments on windy days. Last weekend we were descending some big hills @ 40 MPH+ in crosswinds and I was getting blown around more than I would have with a low profile rim. I cant imagine riding 60mm+ rims. The braking is good for a carbon rim, but not as good as an alu rim. I guess what I'm saying is -for me- I see more negative than positive results running these rims. Not these specific rims, but aero Vs traditional rims. I may be selling these and go with something like a Dura Ace C24 instead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I'm planning to get this wheel but not sure if I should get the 40 or 60, how is you breaking performance ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you are 150lbs get the 40's. I am 200+ lbs (at 6'3") and ride 60's and on 30+mph cross winds get blown around so I cannot imagine someone 50lbs lighter then me fairing well on a set.

The CLX 40/60's are a great wheel and a great value.

I own Zipp and Enve's. The Zipp 404's are very similar to the CLX60 with exception of the wider rim profile. The Zipps are slightly more stable and have a slightly better braking surface then both Enve and Specialized, (for a carbon braking surface).

The Enve 6.7 to compare to the CLX60 are stiffer, a lot stiffer but the CLX has better braking then the Enve's IMO.

Considering the Zipp and Enve are nearly $1000 more, I think the CLX40's would make an awesome all round training/racing wheel for you.

If you are considering other options look at the Zipp 303 or even the new 202 or, the Enve 3.4's.

Cheers.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Excellent information, I'm 5'10" 160lbs so I was thinking to get the 40 due to the weight but the 60 looks really good and has a larger rim width and lower spoke count too. also found this information below

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 9.27.45 PM.png
Views: 1861
Size:  28.0 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    These rims seem to be taking my abuse pretty well. I have about 75 lbs on you, and use them daily. I ride motorcycles to support my cycling, so a little cross wind does not make me white knuckle. I have had zero issues. I strive for 200+ miles a week and save my off road for the mountain bike - which is also equipped with Roval carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Paid Spam

I have a set of Roval CLX 40s up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tire Biter View Post
    These rims seem to be taking my abuse pretty well. I have about 75 lbs on you, and use them daily. I ride motorcycles to support my cycling, so a little cross wind does not make me white knuckle. I have had zero issues. I strive for 200+ miles a week and save my off road for the mountain bike - which is also equipped with Roval carbon.
    Update: I had a creaking noise that was identified as the hub on the rear wheel. LBS replaced the entire wheel for me on a warranty today. Thanks SVCS.

Bike broke
    Jul 2011
    I would go with a toroidal shape. I'm 160lbs I ride hed stinger 6 in bad winds. You do not get blown. It is a very controlled blow not harsh. Fave all around wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I just completed 600 mile trip on mountain roads in Western Colorado with new set of roval CLX 40's on my 2012 S Works Roubaix. These wheels are smoothest and most comfortable I've ever experienced--BUT, they are sluggish climbing and noticeably buffet in wind. My old Bontrager xxx carbon clinchers overall are superior all around every day wheel, especially if one plans on routes with significant climbing( my LBS mechanic says the Bontrager xxx also much better than latest Bontrager D3 carbon clinchers).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jefferson68 View Post
    I have a set of the new 2013 Roval Rapide CLX 40 carbon clinchers. They ride incredibly well. I plan to use these for my daily wheels as well as my race wheels. I weigh 148 lbs. My dealer assures me these are designed to take the abuse from everyday use. For those of you who own these wheels, how have they held up for you? Do you use them as your daily training wheels, ever ride dirt roads with them, do they stay true, any issues with the carbon, etc...?? Please, only responses from first hand experience with these wheels.
    I have had this wheel-set for about 2500Km. I ride hard, daily on the weekdays and deal with a considerable amount of southern california coastal winds. I am 5'11", 77 Kg. I experience no buffeting from the wind, even when I am in aero position with my forearms on the bar tops (leaning on handlebars, not holding on to them).

The ceramic speed bearings are amazing, these wheels keep spinning. And if you do the math, you will probably save 2-3 watts on individual time trials, just because of these bearings... and even more on the climbs. There are some good articles about ceramic bearings, you will save the couple of watts. I probably wouldn't spend $400 on ceramic speed bearing upgrades if I already had high quality steel bearings... but they came with the wheel set and I am extremely pleased with their performance.

About the climbing... The rim weighs significantly less than competitors and as a result, the inertia is very low.. meaning that this wheel can be spun up quickly. I bought this wheel set because I consider it a very versatile all-around setup, which can also climb aggressively. Ceramic cartridges, extremely light rim, and great cross-wind performance make this wheel set a climbing/descending miracle. Don't bother comparing this rim to Mavic R-sys or the like... those are climbing rims.

This wheel is stiff, so sprints feel unreal. Gets up to speed quickly and I don't feel any flex at 1300 watts.

With the Swisstop Yellow King pads... let's just say it stops me on a dime when I want it to. It does not regulate the braking very well though, it's either stopping pretty quickly or just making an annoying hissing noise when I just want to slow down for a turn.. and not slowing me down. Will try the highly recommended Black Prince from swisstop after.

True till now. Don't worry if black stuff comes off the brake surface during the initial 100 Km. That is resin, supposedly for friction. It all comes off, but the dimples remain. Rep told me that they did that on purpose. Resin is ground into the braking surface and makes for a quiet stop. Didn't tell me what will happen if I want a quiet stop after it all rubs off.. but that is a different story.

Great training and racing wheels. Couldn't ask for more under $2500.

Goodluck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    2013 Roval Rapide CLX 40 actual user thoughts-2013-09-09-09.18.14.jpg2013 Roval Rapide CLX 40 actual user thoughts-2013-09-09-09.19.04.jpgI hit a freaking brick on the road. $400 replacement of ring. This would have happened to an aluminum rim as well. I hit a 3 inch tall, hard object at 45km/hr. I also broke the tabs off my garmin 510 (warrantied).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Howdy folks !

Any other input about these wheels ? I was considering to give my 2012 Roubaix Expert an upgrade over the DA C24 I'm using. Am i gonna miss the uber superb C 24s somehow ?
    2012 Roubaix Expert pimped
    2013 Stumpy FSR Elite 29 pimped
    2014 Epic Marathon 29 for sale

RoadBikeReview Member
    After buying a set of C24's, my carbon wheels just sit in the closet. Why step down?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    After buying a set of C24's, my carbon wheels just sit in the closet. Why step down?
    'nuff said. Just saved me 1600.00 Euro sir,thank you very much.
    2012 Roubaix Expert pimped
    2013 Stumpy FSR Elite 29 pimped
    2014 Epic Marathon 29 for sale

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    C24s are so "unglamourous." Box section, aluminum sidewall...boring! But I have yet to hear one person say they are anything less than amazing and cost 1/2 of a set of chi-chi carbon aero wheels. They are definitiely on my short list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You enjoy those...

2013 Roval Rapide CLX 40 actual user thoughts-img_0230.jpg

I'll enjoy these.
    carbonLORD.com

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    You enjoy those...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0230.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	291905

I'll enjoy these.
    For what you paid, you better enjoy them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hear ya but I've never paid retail, on anything, ever.
    carbonLORD.com

Off to the Pain Cave...
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark B 2 View Post
    ...with new set of roval CLX 40's on my 2012 S Works Roubaix. These wheels are smoothest and most comfortable I've ever experienced--BUT, they are sluggish climbing and noticeably buffet in wind....
    I have the CLX 40s on my Tarmac SL4. I also agree that they are the smoothest, most comfortable wheels I have ridden. I, however, do not agree that they feel sluggish climbing. Out of curiosity what makes them feel sluggish?

As far as wind goes, they are not as good as Zipps, but not as bad as some others I have ridden. I am 155 lbs. They do not feel bad in consistent high winds, but more with gusts and when passed by large trucks they do seem to be "pushed" a bit more than my 303 FCs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    I hear ya but I've never paid retail, on anything, ever.
    Is that bc you have a dealer license (carbonlord.com)? If not, i doubt you would want to share your tips and secrets of purchasing items below retail. lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Honestly, I received them at cost for refering a gentleman to buy an Enduro someone else cancelled the order on, and the shop was stuck with. Seemed like a nice thank you to me, so I took advantage (but yes, I am involved in my own way) though I am not an ENVE dealer obviously.
    carbonLORD.com

Off to the Pain Cave...
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
    ...i doubt you would want to share your tips and secrets of purchasing items below retail. lol
    Just develop a good working relationship with your shop. I go to two shops in my area depending on brand, and have a great relationship with both. I race for one of the shops, the other I just patronize. I pay around 10-15% over cost on everything I buy, at both locations. Equates to some significant savings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    CLX40's are great wheels… I put them on my wife's bike and they are awesome. Yes I look like a circus bear on my wife's bike but whatever… I use Enve 3.4 and the Rovals are right near them in every category I can think of.. pretty damn close IMHO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Specialized Rapide CLX40

I have a pair of specialized Rapide CLX 40 for sale. Brand new, taken off new 2013 bike. 10 speed cassette. PM if interested.