Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    If anything it is an issue with the wahoo smart trainer that allows the bike to just go over like that (the trainer didnt go over just the bike, almost like it somehow came loose). It would have been impossible on my old trainer.
    I understand and I probably agree. When I had a Neo, I would constantly lift that thing off of the ground and it would jump all over the place. Pretty much any jump over 800 watts and it would lift off of the ground. Luckily it has a very wide, firm and stable base to prevent any tip overs.

Shane says that if the trainer isn't coming off the ground into the air that you aren't riding hard enough or training sprints correctly, that it happens on all trainers. That being said, they should be built with this in mind and be as preventative as possible for tip overs.

So did your bike or rather the QR come loose then and crash without the trainer? Is that what I'm gathering here? The instructions on most all trainers call for a super sturdy (usually supplied) thick steel skewer that is to be super tightened down. Do you think maybe it was not tight enough to start? Maybe it came loose over time? What do you think happened?
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    It might have come loose over time. It was the skewer that came with it. But yeah, it was like the bike came off the cassete on the trainer and fell over and the trainer was upright. I wasnt rocking the bike or anything but i was up around 1100+ watts. I think it was the 9th time doing the sprint segment, of which I had done 3 previous ones at 1000+.

There are some pictures in the activity though I dont have a picture of the crack on the inside.

https://www.strava.com/activities/87...S&v=1488044839

the cycle ops(?) trainer I have clamps on both sides of the skewer and the only way the bike could come out would be by snapping the seat/chain stays. The wahoo it is just the skewer that holds things on.
    Last edited by taodemon; 03-03-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Forever a Student
    It might have come loose over time.
    That's sounding like it.

And this should serve as a valuable lesson to us all. This can happen. If we have a bike that's dedicated to the trainer for any length of time it increases this risk as we'll tend to just not even check the QR in between sessions.

I hope you can ride it still, might be worth sending to Spyder for an x-ray though.

Oh, and for the trainer only type of thing, that lowest level Allez will probably be just fine. Don't need fancy tube shaping or stiffness or whatever if not on the road.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    "Crank" was a typo, its a small crack on the inside of the rear dropout on the derailleur side.

I love the frame so I hope its fine but at the same time I'm using it as an excuse to get a new frame/bike. Asked my wife if she wanted me to be bombing down a hill at 40+mph and have my wheel fall off and because of that she hasn't flipped out about the idea of a new frame.

I'm sure a carbon frame would be fine on the trainer given that ai know what to be more careful of now I would still rather not risk it and figured that E5 would be a good option.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Oh, and for the trainer only type of thing, that lowest level Allez will probably be just fine. Don't need fancy tube shaping or stiffness or whatever if not on the road.
    Yes... I would agree with this. Taodemon, If you're just looking for a trainer bike, the entry level E5 will be fine. I thought you were perhaps looking for a DSW Allez to use on the trainer, but also serve some road purposes.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 Specialized Allez Comp
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 Specialized Allez Comp
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Getting either a new 15 Allez comp or 17 sprint. So lost on what to get. Some say they use there Allez for crit. Is the sprint a better option with a sacrifice for lower headtube? I do like the aero of the sprint and said better speed from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    I would probably go with a sprint if I was to get one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Sticker on sprint is also gonna be 200 less...has tiagra tho . Not sure if an extra 4/500 is worth for the next step up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Sticker on the elite is 1450, for the Comp 1700. If you were to buy just shifters and derailleurs off merlin you are looking at 195$ which wouldn't include the tiagra to 105 cassette you get with the comp bike. So the price jump is within reason (not always the case when getting more expensive versions of same bike).

See if the store will drop the price some of the comp sprint and get it for you for 1500. Most stores are usually willing to drop at least 10% off msrp. Granted that would make the elite even less if they gave you a discount on that as well but I would go for the 105 sprint for a couple hundred more.

Another thing to keep in mind though is if you plan on upgrading anything down the line to higher than 105, or if you would look at a whole new bike at that point. If you plan on upgrading anything to ultegra at a later time you might as well start off with the elite. Or just go with the frame color you like best?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Sticker on the elite is 1450, for the Comp 1700. If you were to buy just shifters and derailleurs off merlin you are looking at 195$ which wouldn't include the tiagra to 105 cassette you get with the comp bike. So the price jump is within reason (not always the case when getting more expensive versions of same bike).

See if the store will drop the price some of the comp sprint and get it for you for 1500. Most stores are usually willing to drop at least 10% off msrp. Granted that would make the elite even less if they gave you a discount on that as well but I would go for the 105 sprint for a couple hundred more.

Another thing to keep in mind though is if you plan on upgrading anything down the line to higher than 105, or if you would look at a whole new bike at that point. If you plan on upgrading anything to ultegra at a later time you might as well start off with the elite. Or just go with the frame color you like best?
    The comp they have here a 15' has 105 groupset @$1500. Tiagra is $1100 for a 14 model. They don't have a 17 model in stock. Most likely won't upgrade past 105 and would get a whole new bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    They should be able to do much better on a 15' frame that had an msrp of 1600 than the 1500 they gave you. While I would prefer the new sprint frames the 2015 of the comp in the brushed aluminum is pretty nice looking.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/allez-comp/65610

The 14' elite retailed for $1100 and has the even older version of the frame and if they still want $1100 3 years later I would definitely pass.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/allez-elite/49718

For 2017 the elite is 1450 (tiagra spec), comp is 1700 (105 spec).

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...t-elite/118416

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...nt-comp/118194

I like the colors on the 15 enough where I would go for that if they were able to do a much better price but only for a better price. Otherwise I would probably go with the newer 2017 sprint frames. I would pass on the 14 elite.
    Last edited by taodemon; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:08 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    They should be able to do much better on a 15' frame that had an msrp of 1600 than the 1500 they gave you. While I would prefer the new sprint frames the 2015 of the comp in the brushed aluminum is pretty nice looking.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/allez-comp/65610

The 14' elite retailed for $1100 and has the even older version of the frame and if they still want $1100 3 years later I would definitely pass.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/allez-elite/49718

For 2017 the elite is 1450 (tiagra spec), comp is 1700 (105 spec).

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...t-elite/118416

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...nt-comp/118194

I like the colors on the 15 enough where I would go for that if they were able to do a much better price but only for a better price. Otherwise I would probably go with the newer 2017 sprint frames. I would pass on the 14 elite.
    Yeah the 15Comp is 1500+ I do like matte black and frame design better than the 17. For the Sprint I am almost positive it showed 1200ish from where they order and advised me I would get it for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Since you don't plan on upgrading I would go with either the 2015 or 2017 comp depending on price you get for them. You should be able to do much better on a leftover 15 frame than a new 17 but even on the 17 they should be able to drop the price some. Do you have more than one specialized dealer around to compare prices?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    My new ride 2014 Allez Expert E5 Premium Smartweld-img_2406.jpg

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011