Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    That's what I was hoping for. I live in the Pacific Northwest so we get a lot of rain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    rcb78, thanks for your input. I will also go with mostly carbon cockpit, i've got the Ritchey C260 carbon stem and alloy Superlogic II bars. My seatpost is carbon along with rails on my saddle. My wheels are Flo30s which are even wider than C2s and I run s-works turbo tubeless so I know my ride quality will be excellent. rcb78, do you feel the Allez is plenty stiff for crit/road racing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Definitely stiff enough to race on. To be blunt, if you're not competitive with this frameset, then it's not the bikes fault.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Definitely stiff enough to race on. To be blunt, if you're not competitive with this frameset, then it's not the bikes fault.
    Haha, point well taken!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    rcb, do you have any pictures of your build? Would love to see it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Drilled my Di2 holes today. Downtube, chainstay and seat tube. Bottom bracket has perfect passages to run each leg and seems like spesh preplanned slot in downtube for junction box to sit in, interesting..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nis240sxt View Post
    rcb, do you have any pictures of your build? Would love to see it
    Not the cleanest background for pic, but it's all I've got at the moment.

2014 Allez Expert E5 Premium Smartweld-e5-osbb-da9000.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Nice, i've got the same stem C260, plenty stiff? Excellent build there, thanks for sharing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    The stem/bar combo is exactly what I wanted, stiff as hell when you're pulling on the front end, but compliant when you're weight bearing to take the edge off the rough stuff. The stem is HUGE when you first see it, but mounted on the bike, it flows nicely with the oversized tubes. It looks like it was meant to be there. I also like that the clamping area on the steer tube is solid. The cutouts on the C260 Matrix stem I had before was starting to leave witness marks.

TRi-Kev-83
    Oct 2013
    Very nice bike and build you have going there. Any plans on upgrading wheels yet? It's always nice to see other Allez owners. I have a 2012 Allez Evo (first bike) that I just put roval SL35's on recently. Good luck with the rest of the build!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Sneak peek! Di2 Allez Expert

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I like that bro, very nice setup! You take it out yet? How's it ride?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    Sneak peek! Di2 Allez Expert

All i can say is wow! It looks fantastic! If you get a chance, can you do a run down of your components? What did the weight come in at and what what were you shooting for?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by geomel108 View Post
    I like that bro, very nice setup! You take it out yet? How's it ride?
    Yes, 2 rides so far and all I can say is wow! So smooth and solid. My past bikes have been all carbon, sworks level tarmac sl2, sl4, venge and tcr advanced. Don't think I'll ever go back to carbon, this aluminum frame is that good. Waiting for some new wheels to come and then I'll give a run down of parts and total weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I'll second that. The ride on my build is very smooth, and even at 205lbs it loves to have me throw some weight/power into the pedals. It just goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Yes, 2 rides so far and all I can say is wow! So smooth and solid. My past bikes have been all carbon, sworks level tarmac sl2, sl4, venge and tcr advanced. Don't think I'll ever go back to carbon, this aluminum frame is that good. Waiting for some new wheels to come and then I'll give a run down of parts and total weight.
    That sounds pretty impressive coming from a carbon rider! I'm currently on a 2010 a1 allez sport an thinking I'm gonna pick up this frame set an built it up. I was thinking a Tarmac frame but after all your guys posts an reactions to it, an the videos I've watched on the Spesh site, I'm gonna go this route. Can't beat it for the price of it also! What wheel set you gonna go with, just curious?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Sounds like a plan. Value wise, it just doesn't make sense anymore to pay 3x more for carbon and it's only gonna get higher with the increased demand. Even makes more sense since i will do a lot more racing this year, crits etc.. Always felt uneasy racing my CF rig and had too many close calls. Now i can race with more peace of mind. I currently have Flo30s which are so good and underated. I have a set of November Rails 52mm carbon clincher on the way. Had to pick them up before prices go up for the new year. You won't be disappointed, good luck!

rcb78, i know what you mean. I weigh 195lbs and can be hard on my equipment but this bike just takes it and asks for more.

Here's a post ride pic yesterday:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice looking bikes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    So I went to my LBS today, an one of the guys that works there let me take his 2013 Allez race smartweld out for a spin. I'm convinced, and I was very impressed with the ride of it!! Gonna get one this spring after all this miserable weather is over with.
    Last edited by geomel108; 01-02-2014 at 07:34 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Is that a racer thing to run a spacer above the stem? Because Specialized doesn't recommend that but it seems like every race bike I see pictures of has a spacer above the stem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    Is that a racer thing to run a spacer above the stem? Because Specialized doesn't recommend that but it seems like every race bike I see pictures of has a spacer above the stem.
    Not sure if it's a racer thing but I personally do that on all my bikes because i like the fact that the stem clamps to all of the fork steerer. Never had any issues with it done this way.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Not sure if it's a racer thing but I personally do that on all my bikes because i like the fact that the stem clamps to all of the fork steerer. Never had any issues with it done this way.
    When done correctly, the stem clamps to the fork steerer when installed per Specs instructions. The idea is that with the long expander plug (versus a compression plug) the inside of the steerer is reinforced the full length of the stem.

http://service.specialized.com/colla...tion-Guide.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks PJ for the clarification. Excessive spacers above the stem would be a definite issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    With new RAIL 52s. 16lbs even ready to ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Thee best looking Allez I've seen!! Wow!! Great job man, and enjoy!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast