Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 265
  1. #51
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,999
    Quote Originally Posted by nis240sxt View Post
    With new RAIL 52s. 16lbs even ready to ride!

    Beautiful... enjoy!

  2. #52
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by nis240sxt View Post
    My past bikes have been all carbon, sworks level tarmac sl2, sl4, venge and tcr advanced. Don't think I'll ever go back to carbon, this aluminum frame is that good.

    Wow man!

  3. #53
    BvT
    BvT is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8
    Hey nis240sxt,

    beautiful Allez build. Could you please name the headset you've used, would love to get rid of that ugly cone-thing my standard Allez Comp came with.

    greets BvT

  4. #54
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by BvT View Post
    Hey nis240sxt,

    beautiful Allez build. Could you please name the headset you've used, would love to get rid of that ugly cone-thing my standard Allez Comp came with.

    greets BvT
    Thanks. It's made by cane creek. Got it from my local bike store

  5. #55
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Horze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    236
    Carbon is over-rated. I said it ten years ago, I will say it again.

  6. #56
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3
    My bike shop just got my 2014 Allez Expert in on Monday and finished building it up yesterday. I'm going to have my fit done tomorrow, can't wait to ride it!

  7. #57
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    235
    svmtbman, you'll be in for a treat! Let us know what you think after the ride

  8. #58
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    48
    Guys, do you recommend the Alez Smartweld over a Secteur Sport for doing long distance riding? (we could say even up to 300km per day).
    I'm on the search for my first real road bike after logging more than 5K Kms with an outdated Kinesis aluminum hybrid frame. It had a very harsh ride it actually made me want to get either a Cromoly or Titanium. The main use will be to do long distance riding on weekends. But since aluminum gave that harsh ride I'm afraid to get another one if that's the case.

    Also, does the Allez lack the Zertz the Secteur has? If so, can anyone point the difference in ride quality among these 2 models.

    Thanks

  9. #59
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,999
    Quote Originally Posted by GarzaAlfredo View Post
    Guys, do you recommend the Alez Smartweld over a Secteur Sport for doing long distance riding? (we could say even up to 300km per day).
    I'm on the search for my first real road bike after logging more than 5K Kms with an outdated Kinesis aluminum hybrid frame. It had a very harsh ride it actually made me want to get either a Cromoly or Titanium. The main use will be to do long distance riding on weekends. But since aluminum gave that harsh ride I'm afraid to get another one if that's the case.

    Also, does the Allez lack the Zertz the Secteur has? If so, can anyone point the difference in ride quality among these 2 models.

    Thanks
    If you found your hybrids ride harsh, you may not be thrilled with most road bikes, given their 23-28c OE tires. But to answer your questions, more enters into the "comfort" equation than just frame materials. Geo, tires size/ pressures all play a part.

    If the option is available in your area, you may want to consider renting a bike (or bikes) and doing some longer test rides. Beforehand, experiment with tire pressures based on rider weight, tire size and road conditions. This will give you a more accurate assessment of a bikes ride/ handling.

    Lastly, in most instances, both the Allez and Secteur can be set up pretty much the same - namely in saddle to bar drop. The differences will be that Secteur can accommodate slightly wider tires (28c's, I believe) and FWIW has the Zertz inserts. Personally, I think the Secteurs higher trail and longer wheelbase will mean more in terms of ride/ handling.

  10. #60
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: carbonLORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    856
    You know what I said 20 years ago when this place was mtbr.com? Carbon would take over the marketplace and pro peloton. Which one of us is correct?

    You have 7 posts of which I've read and 6 of them are wrong.

    Perhaps if you actually owned what you complain about you might have a shred of credibility, but you don't and you sound like a retro grouch.

    Welcome to RBR.
    carbonLORD.com

  11. #61
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Horze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    236
    ^^^
    Pretty mannerless taking this thread OT to attack me on a personal level, you.

    Lemond said it more than 20 years ago that Carbon would take over as far as the game's equipment is concerned. Which is true. But this isn't remotely connected to what I state in my post above, is it?


    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    Welcome to RBR.
    Yeah right. Thanks but NT and FO.

  12. #62
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: carbonLORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by Horze View Post
    Carbon is over-rated.
    Like I said...

    8 posts. No proof of experience and plenty of opinions.

    You'll fit in around here just fine.
    carbonLORD.com

  13. #63
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    201

    2014 Allez Expert E5 Premium Smartweld

    2014 Allez Expert E5 Premium Smartweld-imageuploadedbytapatalk1396593274.654026.jpg

    Ok, I'll admit I liked the OP's idea!
    Here's another 14 E5 Di2. I ran wire thru head tube rather than down tube, used external battery & removed the rear housing stop as well. 16lbs 9oz(56cm)! S-works cranks on the way.

  14. #64
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcbike View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396593274.654026.jpg 
Views:	11944 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	293998

    Ok, I'll admit I liked the OP's idea!
    Here's another 14 E5 Di2. I ran wire thru head tube rather than down tube, used external battery & removed the rear housing stop as well. 16lbs 9oz(56cm)! S-works cranks on the way.
    Well done! Love the build!

  15. #65
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    Like I said...

    8 posts. No proof of experience and plenty of opinions.

    You'll fit in around here just fine.
    Hey Buddy,
    Not saying you don't know what you're talking about. But just because you don't like his opinion about carbon doesn't mean he's not entitled to it.
    No need to be a jerk.

  16. #66
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    277
    Sweet build! Looks good!

  17. #67
    Jedi Master
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrich88 View Post
    Hey Buddy,
    Not saying you don't know what you're talking about. But just because you don't like his opinion about carbon doesn't mean he's not entitled to it.
    No need to be a jerk.
    #winning.

  18. #68
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: carbonLORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by vertr View Post
    #winning.
    Your reputation is not winning.
    carbonLORD.com

  19. #69
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: carbonLORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrich88 View Post
    Hey Buddy,
    Not saying you don't know what you're talking about. But just because you don't like his opinion about carbon doesn't mean he's not entitled to it.
    No need to be a jerk.
    The guy makes random blanket statements about things he does not own, then tells me to "FO" when called out on it.

    Whatever you say "buddy". It's clear who the "jerk" is here.

    If you don't like it, know what you're talking about, don't complain and no one will respond tongue in cheek.

    Pretty simple.

    Guys got 8 posts. Hardly a contributor.
    carbonLORD.com

  20. #70
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    If you found your hybrids ride harsh, you may not be thrilled with most road bikes, given their 23-28c OE tires. But to answer your questions, more enters into the "comfort" equation than just frame materials. Geo, tires size/ pressures all play a part.

    If the option is available in your area, you may want to consider renting a bike (or bikes) and doing some longer test rides. Beforehand, experiment with tire pressures based on rider weight, tire size and road conditions. This will give you a more accurate assessment of a bikes ride/ handling.

    Lastly, in most instances, both the Allez and Secteur can be set up pretty much the same - namely in saddle to bar drop. The differences will be that Secteur can accommodate slightly wider tires (28c's, I believe) and FWIW has the Zertz inserts. Personally, I think the Secteurs higher trail and longer wheelbase will mean more in terms of ride/ handling.
    I agree with this except for saddle to bar drop. A Secteur has a 20mm head tube size to size which substantially alters riding position.
    The Secteur will be the more forgiving long distance bike. For '14 then have add the zertz dampers front and rear as well. I would say for the distance rider, Secteur is better and for the speedy more slammed rider and for crit racing, Allez is the bike.
    FWIW I am considering the Secteur as an in town computer bike because it has rack eyelets in back.

  21. #71
    Jedi Master
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post

    Guys got 8 posts. Hardly a contributor.
    A great example of your attitude problem.

  22. #72
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    277
    8 posts or 783 posts... if you have a problem, just keep it to yourself. Like I said, he is entitled to his opinion about carbon, and likewise, you are entitled to yours. That's why there is a market for carbon AND aluminum, so people can have both and pick what they want.
    This is JUST a forum, we're in a thread about some really nice aluminum bikes here. Can we just leave it at that please?

  23. #73
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Horze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    236
    Thanks brother. His chronometer probably only starts after registering on a forum.

  24. #74
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    277
    nis240sxt: if you don't mind me asking, what did you do with all the parts you removed? It had a killer build already!

  25. #75
    mec1
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2
    2014 Allez Expert E5 Premium Smartweld-allez2013.jpg

    Another Allez.... just under 6.3kg.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 Roubaix SL4 Expert Disc Ultegra Di2
    By livestronger7 in forum Specialized
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-31-2013, 03:10 AM
  2. 2014 Allez Elite vs. 2014 Allez Comp
    By quickmammoth in forum Specialized
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 11:09 PM
  3. Allez Expert vs. Roubaix Expert
    By derekdeben in forum Specialized
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 05:26 AM
  4. Specialized Allez Expert vs. Roubaix Expert
    By derekdeben in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 11:27 AM
  5. differences between 2005 allez comp and allez expert???
    By rustyspoke in forum Specialized
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 07:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •