Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

2014 Allez Expert E5 Di2

Look what finally came in. Looks alot better in person than in pics. Time to strip, weigh and then Di2. Will post my progress as I go. Hopefully get to ride it next weekend

Last edited by nis240sxt; 12-07-2013 at 11:20 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    That sure is a good looking bike! Curious to hear your thoughts on how it rides. I've been thinking about making that my next frame set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Nice bike!
    Interested in how you're going to put Di2 on this - are you going to drill the frame to make holes (and if so, where) or will you just mount the wires externally?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shb77 View Post
    Nice bike!
    Interested in how you're going to put Di2 on this - are you going to drill the frame to make holes (and if so, where) or will you just mount the wires externally?
    Thanks! Yes, i plan to drill holes and will be using the Caad10 Di2 model as sort of a guide. One hole down the downtube for the front junction (shifters), one hole behind the seatube for the front der and one on the side of the chainstay for the rear mech. I have an internal battery that will be hidden in the lower part of the seatube. There are holes in the bottom bracket shell to route each leg. Once all connected to the rear junction, it will be inserted into the lower portion of the downtube. I'll post some pics as I go along.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nis240sxt View Post
    Look what finally came in. Looks alot better in person than in pics. Time to strip, weigh and then Di2. Will post my progress as I go. Hopefully get to ride it next weekend

Dude, that is sweet! Love the frame! Can't wait to see the final thing! Definitely keep us posted!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wrz0170 View Post
    Dude, that is sweet! Love the frame! Can't wait to see the final thing! Definitely keep us posted!
    Thanks, and will do. Looking forward to your final build also.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Beautiful. I like the paint scheme better than the black frameset offering. A 52cm per chance?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    Beautiful. I like the paint scheme better than the black frameset offering. A 52cm per chance?
    Thanks PJ, yes 52CM and just for those wondering, it is different than the race frame as I suspected all along. The race frame have been measured at ~1200grms for a 52cm, this one came in at 1050 grms so it's close to an S-works frame. Thus, the expert seems to have the best value out of all the Allez models.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Thanks PJ, yes 52CM and just for those wondering, it is different than the race frame as I suspected all along. The race frame have been measured at ~1200grms for a 52cm, this one came in at 1050 grms so it's close to an S-works frame. Thus, the expert seems to have the best value out of all the Allez models.
    I noticed that Spec uses a Smartweld SL designation for the Allez Expert, but not the Race or E5 frameset offering. Hard to imagine that alone accounting for a 150g difference, but maybe.

FWIW my 2011 Tarmac Pro (52CM) weights ~950g's, so (as you say) the Expert appears to be in upper end CF territory. I'm thinking we'll see an E5 SL frameset in 2015....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Hopefully so but if they did that, who would buy the S-works model? The S-works also uses the Smartweld SL, only thing i could think SL stands for is Super Light, which designates their top E5 alloy offerings.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Hopefully so but if they did that, who would buy the S-works model? The S-works also uses the Smartweld SL, only thing i could think SL stands for is Super Light, which designates their top E5 alloy offerings.
    Ok, I'm confused. When you mentioned S-Works previously, I thought you were referring to Specs CF offering. I see no S-Works Allez listed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    Ok, I'm confused. When you mentioned S-Works previously, I thought you were referring to Specs CF offering. I see no S-Works Allez listed.
    Right, sorry for the confusion. There is no S-works Allez offering in the US currently but they did have one last year. They do offer it in other countries. Here are the specs on the frame i grabbed from the UK site. The S-works frame is also anodized saving a little more weight and so it has been accurately measured at 1070grms for a 56cm

With an S-Works level frame, Smartweld technology and SL Hydroforming

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    There was an S-Works Allez listed for about a week before they pulled it off the website. Actually there was a complete bike AND a frameset listed that have been removed. The SL is the designation for the frame used in the S-Works model and it is the reason for the weight discrepancy. The other difference is the that the S-Works model gets an S-Works fork, other models get a heavier 'standard' Tarmac fork, presumably yours as well because these two things were the only differences that made the S-Works more desirable over the normal E5 offerings.
    Not sure why they pulled the info, but it broke down the differences between the two E5 Frames that are being used now.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Thanks for the clarification... I did remember the S-Works Allez from last year. Here's the link, but I'm not seeing an SL designation...

Specialized Bicycle Components

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Yep, last year they didn't list the SL hydroforming designation but this year they did. Also, if you zoom in on the chainstay on this year's S-works, you'll see the SL branding just like the Expert's. That's what led me to believe they are similar frames and different then the race ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I just got the Allez Expert. I was able to get a short ride in on it. To compare, I also have an SWorks SL4 Tarmac. The ride is different. It is not like the Tarmac at all. That is not a bad thing, it's just different. It is comfortable and it does soak up bumps and road vibes much better than my old Cannondale 2.8. Aluminum has come a long way. I'm not in love with the bars, but I am picky that way. I have come to appreciate the 3T Ergonova and will most likely switch these out. The bike feels great descending. Very stable and I can carve out a new line mid-corner without dramatics. I did add some heavier tires for training this winter and also fenders. The shifting is super light and very precise. I like it. The hoods feel just like my 9000 series DA. I switched out the SLK to the Ultegra. This will allow me to run my Stages DA 9000 crank arm during the winter. Plus I like the asthetics of the Shimano group. I can always throw on my Enve 3.4 wheels, switch the pads and take off the fenders and be ready to race this thing. Sometimes it's hard to take the SWorks in a crit, I would feel a bit more relaxed using the Allez. This is a lot of bike for the money. Out of the box size 58 weighed in at 17.1 lbs. As it is in the photo 20.0 lbs.
    2014 Allez Expert E5 Premium Smartweld-img_2012-xl.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Tupelo, glad to see another person with an expert model. I'm in the same boat you are. After having some close calls in some crits riding my S-Works Venge, it was a no brainer to go with the new Allez. I figured the ride feel would be different because of it being aluminum but not surprised about your handling comments since the geometry is about the same. Thanks for the feedback and please report more once you have put more miles on her, she looks great!

RoadBikeReview Member
    So I haven't posted on RBR in a really long time; but I also haven't purchased and built up a shiny new bike in a really long time either. Thought everyone would like to see my new Allez Smartweld as well. It turned out pretty much perfect; just waiting on an S-Works crank with Praxis rings to finish it all off. The OPs frame looks great too!

2014 Allez Expert E5 Premium Smartweld-allez-5.jpg2014 Allez Expert E5 Premium Smartweld-allez-2.jpg2014 Allez Expert E5 Premium Smartweld-allez-1.jpg2014 Allez Expert E5 Premium Smartweld-allez-3.jpg

Cycling induced anoesis
    Nice bike (and beautiful shots).. congrats!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks and your bike looks great, especially with the Zipp components. What is your feedback on the frame's performance?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, only one 2hr ride so far, but I have a lot of experience w/ Tarmacs/ older E5 bikes so:

Definitely not as smooth as the tarmac, but pretty damn nice for alloy. I can feel the weight a bit compared to my old 09 S-works tarmac, but I don't really care. So far so good; Specialized geo is the best I've ridden.

I lost the little foam tube for the rear brake housing - you should definitely install that to keep the rattling down. Guess I'll make a trip to Ace hardware to see if they have anything like that

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt_hedgehog View Post
    Well, only one 2hr ride so far, but I have a lot of experience w/ Tarmacs/ older E5 bikes so:

Definitely not as smooth as the tarmac, but pretty damn nice for alloy. I can feel the weight a bit compared to my old 09 S-works tarmac, but I don't really care. So far so good; Specialized geo is the best I've ridden.

I lost the little foam tube for the rear brake housing - you should definitely install that to keep the rattling down. Guess I'll make a trip to Ace hardware to see if they have anything like that
    Do you think the ride quality has anything to do with the alloy cockpit & seatpost or just the nature of the frame itself? Your build is almost identical to what I'm doing with the Allez E5 smartweld frame and Zipp Service Course SL parts and the 101 wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I thought I could shed some light on this.
    I have a '13 Allez Race frame setup with a with Ritchey SuperLogic bars, seatpost and stem, all full carbon. The switch from my older WCS alloy setup was dramatic, huge improvement in how rough pavement feels. When I went from my Arione CX saddle with the K:ium rails to the newer Arione R3 with carbon rails, it was noticeable again, the rough pavement just got smoother. Add my HED C2s with 25c Pro4s and latex tubes and it pretty much floats over the roughest of pavement.
    I consider my comparisons apples to apples because I rode both sets of components on the same frame. Only reason I made the swap was for the black/black look of the new components. The old WCS stuff came over from my previous frame and didn't look right on the new one.
    The point I'm getting at is this, the parts that insulate your body from the frame and frame from the road play a HUGE roll in road feel. So any comparison between the Allez and Tarmac should be taken with a grain of salt if the builds weren't identical.
    I've let a few friends ride my bike, all of them own high end carbon, all of them think mine rides like carbon. Subjective I know, but still worth pointing out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I'm thinking about picking one of these up to ride through the winter and want to add larger tires and possible fenders. What are your thoughts on this? Could I get away with 28c with out fenders, or 25c with?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    If you use race blade fenders, then I'd say probably. On my HED rims, my 25s measure a solid 28 and there is still some room to spare. So a tire that actually measures 25 'should' leave room for fenders provided they aren't too bulky.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast