Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2016 Crux

38K views 88 replies 24 participants last post by  SNS1938 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows what all changes will be made to the 2016 Crux and if there are any new models out yet.

Saw this pop up on instagram this morning.
Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

See less See more
#7 ·
seen all the non S-Works models online at the local dealer all seem to have thru-axles and the graphics/colors seem to be a little subdued from the previous years.

the dealer camp is next week in California we will soon see all the new goodies shortly after that.

#11 ·
So I went up to the shop i race for yesterday after work and looked at all the 2016 early releases. The crux didn't show a smartweld, but it also didn't show any Sworks models yet either, so there could be more coming, probably not much though. But what i did see is that there are some sweet builds coming for the new model year. LOTS of 1X drivetrains and some KILLER paint jobs.

#16 ·
Since they are now using TA's has the rear spacing moved from 135 to 142? Also what size are these TA's? Very curious. I am guessing specialized will be doing some sort of proprietary sizing on the TA's forcing you to buy rovals or something dumb if you just want the frameset. Please post up if you have this info.

#17 ·
I do believe that most modern "disc" road/cx wheelsets come with interchangeable axle end caps for QR & TA's the standards have been around for a while now Front: 12x100mm QR & 15x100mm TA Rear: 12x135mm QR & 12x142mm TA

I'm sure this will not be an issue as Stans-no-tubes wheelsets have been interchangeable for years from MTB's and I do believe Zipp wheels and of course Rovals are interchangeable so quit stressing about nothing.

#24 · (Edited)
Stupid proprietary SCS crap

Yes I was, and I called and talked to my specialized rep and the news is worse than I thought. The hub spacing is going to be their own stupid proprietary deal (just as I had thought). with the 135x10 SCS (aka Short Chain Stay) aka 135x10 TA You can read more about it here.
http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/0000040845.pdf

The really bad thing is that with previous years specialized would sell you a different hanger so you could actually use other wheels other than rovals. Now they are not doing that any more so you can use rovals, or rovals.. Or rovals. So unless a 3rd party deal like wheels mfg makes something you are stuck with their wheels.

So my main question is...WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SELL A FRAMESET AT THAT POINT? Typically if you are buying a frameset you want to build up your own bike with your own group/wheels. Hey, Here buy this crux frameset... can i use my old zipps? Nope, can I use these stans with converter...nope.. Can I use my mtb wheels...nope.. Oh but here you go joe customer. You can buy the frameset and then buy our rovals. What's the point of offering a frameset if you must use their wheels too?

Are there converters already out there that I don't know about? What hub would end up working with these if they are no longer going to sell the drop outs?

#23 ·
Pretty disappointed they left the braze on piece riveted to the frame...looks bad when using force 1 which I am. Also I was expecting cable covers like the mtbs where you can
bolt different covers on to hide the hole in the frame if not using a front derailleur...really
this is the same bike as last year just added thru axles.

#29 ·
Just spoke to Specialized yesterday and they will be manufacturing endcaps for Roval wheels for the new axle standards. Not sure if Roval endcaps work with DT Swiss hubs, as I know the internals are the same. Maybe someone else knows if this is true. But luckily I can use my older Roval wheels now.

#30 ·
Don't hold your breath though. This same issue is screwing with people that have the diverge. Just cannot understand why they wouldn't go to 142. They can keep the chainstay short and still have a 142. Lots of other companies seem to be able to do it. Santacruz, niner, focus, felt. Guess all my waiting for them to go to TA 's is a waste.

I am still trying to understand why specialized would offer a frameset for sale when that frameset is useless unless you have new rovals. No other hub will work with it.

#35 ·
Never used the hybrid brakes. If you are buying a whole bike there is no reason not to buy a 2016 with thru axles.

The thru axle issue arises when you want to use your current wheels or just buy a frame. There is not really any after market wheels that fit these frames right now.

#37 ·
Well I ordered my 2016 Crux Pro Race this weekend. Should be here mid August. Just couldn't justify spending about the same amount on a 2015. I called DT Swiss and they said they will be making 12x100mm end caps and should be ready in a few months. I honestly prefer Roval wheels though. Hard to beat a lifetime warranty.

#38 ·
excellent model you choose: the Pro

Specialized Bicycle Components

, has a double crown and is mounted is Shimano. Italy will only be available in the Elite model X1

Specialized Bicycle Components

, it is worth buying?
the model 2015 it would pay € 1,600 while the model 2015 it would pay € 2,100. I could save € 500 by buying the 2015 model or I should spend more to buy the model 2016?

Excuse me for not right English form .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.