Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    The 2017 Expert Disc is a ViAS frame. It also has the same fork, handlebars, and seatpost as the SW as far as I know, but comes with a standard alloy stem.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ve...ultegra/118388
    Thanks for that Wetworks. I was unaware a VIAS version existed that came with a standard stem. Reason alone to get the Expert VIAS to avoid the goofy albatross stem with further aggravation of routing cables through it to save 1 watt at 25mph. ;)

Are you overall pleased with the bike? How is the ride quality compared to the Tarmac?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Thanks for that Wetworks. I was unaware a VIAS version existed that came with a standard stem. Reason alone to get the Expert VIAS to avoid the goofy albatross stem with further aggravation of routing cables through it to save 1 watt at 25mph. ;)

Are you overall pleased with the bike? How is the ride quality compared to the Tarmac?

Thanks
    My mechanic thanked me for the same reason.

I had expected a very stiff, rough riding bike. I'm pleasantly surprised with the ride quality, and it climbs way better than you'd think for an "aero bike." I believe Specialized has reinforced that by the very Venge-like redesign of the Tarmac.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well the BB and overall frame of the vias is definitely stiffer and more responsive than the old venge. I could tell that from the short 10 mile ride I did of a non disc one a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it felt more tarmac like in one of the posts here on these forums back then.

Climbing isn't my favorite thing and I definitely do better on the flats where a venge is ideal but around here it hard to avoid those hills and less weight on the bike ends up making some difference especially since losing more body weight would be rather miserable and mean having to adhere to some sort of strict diet which for someone who does this for fun and doesn't race would kind of remove a lot of the fun. 6ft 165lbs for reference (what I weighed in high school). I've been lower but that was in boot camp where you are underfed and exercised most of the day. While the idea of getting down to 150s for biking would be wonderful for the hills, it is more work than what I'm willing to put in at this point.

If I was somewhere flatter the VIAS would be an easy choice, well easier. I guess combining my local terrain with what trek managed to do with an aero bike without the weight penalty it is hard for me to justify the current VIAS. I'm really hoping for the next venge they solve the weight thing, and possibly go back to offering a rim brake version without the wonky vias brakes (doubt it works out that way though).

Also, for 2018 both the expert and the pro come with a standard stem instead of the "ViAS" stem.
    Last edited by taodemon; 10-09-2017 at 06:27 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    although I am not in the slam-your-stem bunch I do feel that my current set up is just weird.

first "fast" group ride 25+ mph this Saturday was interesting as I spent so much time in the drops rather than on the hoods, not complaining mind you however it feels like the cockpit is set up just a smidgen too tall.

I put my CX bike next to my Venge and even with 38's on the CX bike the bars were almost level with the Venge maybe 10mm higher. In this unscientific measurement no wonder it felt that I was riding higher on the Venge.

Issue with this goofball stem handlebar combo is that you really can't remove a spacer and go out for a short ride to see how it "feels". I've got a no-rise flat top S Works Venge Vias bar on the way from Specialized that I can try-before-I-buy to see if that will work or not...

My mechanic isn't really thrilled about having to reroute all those hydro-hoses and wires through the bars and stem again, however I really don't want to cut the steerer as swapping out 25mm rise bars for 0 rise bars will not be as permanent although the hassle factor will be high just to do a simple bar swap.

Specialized really needs to address this bar & stem issue as I (personally) feel that is one reason why more riders are not embracing this second generation Venge bike.

Other than this the bike just wants to be ridden fast and hard all the time once you are up to speed this motherf*#ker just flat out motors (until my lungs crap out).

It was like cheating on this Saturdays group ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Finally got it dialed in!

Went with a flat top Vias Aero Bar over slamming the stem and thus cutting the steerer tube. Aesthetically it looks 1000% better and now fits and feels like my old Venge rather than my CX bike in which I have a more upright stance.

Since it was a while ago that my shop had sold a S Works Venge Vias they sold like four right when they came out then pppppfffffffttttt... nothing till I ordered this one. therefore they forgot about the Vias "fit kit" that includes stems and handlebars to get folks totally dialed in.

Once I came in an was wondering about my set up the light-bulb came on and they got the kit from Specialized and that is how I ended up with the flat bar over the 25mm rise one.

Went on a casual spin with a few hard efforts mixed in and the bike now feels like an old friend and feels so much better in the drops and the hoods and seems even "more" aero hahaha!

Took some camera phone pix before my ride so you can see the color much better it's mainly purple but goes from that to blue/green to black/blue back to purple depending on the light and angle.

Got some ceramicspeed dura-ace pulleys on the way for my last I-have-too-much-money-to-waste-on-silly-sh!t upgrades, other than that I'm pleased with the outcome.

2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2-img_1516.jpg
    2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2-img_1517.jpg
    2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2-img_1514.jpg2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2-img_1515.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stunning bike. Beautiful!...love the color.

Quick question...how tall are you and what size frame it is?
    What will you use the bike for?...fast group rides?
    Last edited by 11spd; 10-13-2017 at 03:29 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post

Quick question...how tall are you and what size frame it is?
    What will you use the bike for?...fast group rides?
    5'11"

56cm

Yes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    Finally got it dialed in!

Went with a flat top Vias Aero Bar over slamming the stem and thus cutting the steerer tube. Aesthetically it looks 1000% better and now fits and feels like my old Venge rather than my CX bike in which I have a more upright stance.

Since it was a while ago that my shop had sold a S Works Venge Vias they sold like four right when they came out then pppppfffffffttttt... nothing till I ordered this one. therefore they forgot about the Vias "fit kit" that includes stems and handlebars to get folks totally dialed in.

Once I came in an was wondering about my set up the light-bulb came on and they got the kit from Specialized and that is how I ended up with the flat bar over the 25mm rise one.

Went on a casual spin with a few hard efforts mixed in and the bike now feels like an old friend and feels so much better in the drops and the hoods and seems even "more" aero hahaha!

Took some camera phone pix before my ride so you can see the color much better it's mainly purple but goes from that to blue/green to black/blue back to purple depending on the light and angle.

Got some ceramicspeed dura-ace pulleys on the way for my last I-have-too-much-money-to-waste-on-silly-sh!t upgrades, other than that I'm pleased with the outcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1516.JPG 
Views:	542 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	320780

Name:	IMG_1517.JPG 
Views:	423 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	320781

Name:	IMG_1514.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	320782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1515.JPG 
Views:	361 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	320783
    Stunning, just stunning!!! Congrats! With it fitted to you perfectly, I hope you enjoy thousands of miles of fast riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Bike, color, and everything looks stunning! Enjoy!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Nice, that looks awesome. I have the eTap Tarmac in the same color with black stickers and CXL 32's. Weighed 16.5 lbs. with pedals. Very happy with the eTap. Enjoy your new ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Love this bike!

2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2-vias1.jpg

Etap HRD with S-Works cranks, Roval CLX64's with Cotton Turbo's. Guess you can say I'm all in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Wow, but it deserves a better picture...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12