Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2

Put a down payment on one today.

The 2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2 will come in a Tarmac Black/Purple Chameleon/Metallic White Silver with the Dura-Ace Di2 9170/9150 groupset, (same group set as 2018 S-Works Tarmac) the rest of the bike specs are similar to the 2017 E-Tap version all the blingy carbon S-Works stuff & Roval CLX 64 disc wheels.

$9500 msrp you don't get the quark power meter however it's a lot more wallet friendly than the $11,500 E-Tap model that will still be available in the same Gloss White/Satin Black color scheme.

Like I said I ordered it today and should see it mid-September as it was just introduced this week to the dealers.

They will have two S-Works frame sets options @ $4000 the the colors are Tarmac Black/Purple Chameleon/Metallic White Silver and the Project Black version which is matte black with white S-Works logos. The purple one has black inner chainstays and seatstays and black inner fork legs the top of the top tube is black and from what I can tell from the photo the bottom of the down tube is black also and the front side of the seat tube the rest of the bike is the purple with white S-Works graphics.

Very subtle just S-Works on the down tube, Specialized on the chain-stay, a "S" on the head tube and small on on the fork leg. Very crisp and clean IMOHO especially with the new Dura-Ace black components.

I just sold my 2016 S-Works Tarmac Di2 Disc as I missed the feel of my old S-Works Venge but didn't want the Vias rim brake bike so talk about the planets being in alignment when I walked in to the bike shop today.

The info on the 2018 Venge Vias bikes should be on the Specialized website soon I was able to get a look-see on the dealer website today.

I held off on the 2016 rim brake Venge Vias and the 2017 Venge Vias Disc didn't make financial sense as I had just bought the S-Works Tarmac Di2 Disc (great bike BTW just not for me) therefore waiting has paid off same for the the 2018 S-Works Epic FSR.

Hopefully there will be some info and pix available soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Exciting to order one of the most exclusive bicycles on the planet.
    Disk brakes put the VIAS back into the conversation for sure. Didn't hurt that Kittel won so many stages on it. How tall are you and what size did you order? Do you race? Do A group rides?

I admit due to the design of the bike, I would likely lean toward Sram E
    -tap...but clearly that bike is designed for electric shifting and either Di2, E-tap, Campy EPS would be a great choice.

Congrats and please give us a review compared to other great bikes you have owned once you pick it up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I went from a Cannondale system six to a 2013 S-Works Venge Red sometime back in late 2012 and It was my go-to road bike even though I had bought a S-Works Tarmac and a S-Works Allez along the way. Nevertheless the Venge got ridden 95% of the time.

When the all "New" Venge Vias came out I was hesitant about the stem steerer situation and the goofball rim brake set up although after a short test ride on one I was sold sold sold on the bike itself. My local bike shop quickly sold four when they were first announced then nothing as it sat on a 56cm S-Works for over a year.

I was offered a stellar deal on the remaining bike but the disc vias was leaked and so I waited... fast forward I picked up a S-Works Tarmac Di2 Disc and sold my Venge last year... I regretted it from the first fast group ride. I have absolutely no issues with the tarmac as it's a fantastic bike I just mentally prefer the ride of my venge as it just "feels" faster and so the conundrum.

I'm 5'11" and have ridden a 56cm size bike from Colnago, Scott, Cannondale and now Specialize since forever. Although I'm a CAT1 in mt.bike racing I have not done enough road races to move out of the 4/5's although one hundred percent of my training/group/tue&thur night worlds/ego-hammerfest rides are with CAT1,2 & 3's at a 24mph+ pace. Being a lone wolf as in no cycling team affiliation has screwed me royally in the few local road races I've done however that is a rant for another thread.

I'm neither loyal to Shimano or SRAM I've had both each have their positives and negatives I'm at the point in my life that I buy the bike that I want and ride what is on it Shimano or SRAM whatever. I've got a Quark S-Works powermeter spider that I took off my S-Works Tarmac that I'll put on this new bike and I prefer the closer gear ratio of a 11-23 cassette rather than 11-30 that comes stock. That will be all I'll change on this coming bike.

The SRAM Etap colorways was the same as last years and the elevated price over the Di2 version what shied me away from the ETap Vias model. I've got a pretty good eye for bike models and although there are a few S-Works Venge Vias bikes floating around here in Houston area I've yet to see any disc Venge Vias bikes therefore it should be interesting when this one shows up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Interesting. I have the exact opposite view of the Venge VIAS (I have the rim brake version) to the Tarmac. While the VIAS is super fast on the flats, I find it sluggish feeling on any climbs. I weight around 137 pounds so maybe I'm just noticing the 1lb difference in the frames on climbs. Not sure, my setup is almost exactly the same on both bikes and I have been switching back and forth between them pretty regularly.

I do like the Venge (other than the brakes - at least you won't have to deal with the crazy rim brakes) but if I could have only one bike it would be the Tarmac for sure. I think the 2018 Tarmac reduces the aero gap between them a bit more. Definitely not in my head. A few of my riding buddies have commented on how much faster I climb on the Tarmac. Had both since 2016 so this is based on hundreds of rides on each bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    "courses for horses"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I stopped into the bike store on Wednesday and took at look at the 2018 vias chameleon frame on the dealer site and it looks pretty sharp. Not sure when they will update the public website with the new models though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    anyone have pics of these models? Interested to see what it looks like

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mile2424 View Post
    anyone have pics of these models? Interested to see what it looks like
    Oh funny you ask... the 2018 dealer catalogs are here out of ALL the bikes I wanted to see this is the ONLY one that dosent have an actual photo of the bike.

I'm scheduled to get the bike mid-September you'll see it when I see it.

2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2-img_1310.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    I saw a picture of the standalone frame on the dealer website at my local store. Not sure if there were pictures of the full bike but for my purpose the frame picture was enough (just seeing what it looked like). Being I am fond of the blue chameleon color I thought it looked great. Assuming I'm remembering correctly the layout was similar to the current Sagan frame with the blue replacing the silver color changing color and black sworks font instead of the reflective one on the sagan version.

I think I read somewhere that the vendor shows where they release the full lineups was changed to later in the year than had been happening in past years which might explain why a lot of the new "existing" stuff hasn't made its way to the public website.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Photos of the bike are now on the dealers website they sent me a pix via text otherwise I'd post it here. Looks f*cking awesome!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Is it this one?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    That would be the one. Looks great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    New bike came in late today mechanic hates me as the stem steerer is a b*tch to deal with almost got the height dialed in. Swapped out saddle for S-Works Romin put S-Works Tubeless tires on mechanic really hates me for that one and put quark power meter on cranks. Put on a 11-23 cassette as we have no hills on the gulf coast. Hopefully will be able to pick up bike for first ride tomorrow after brake lines are cut and bled and steerer is cut yikes! Color looks fantastic goes from dark greenish blue to bright purple depending on the light. Will have

2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2-img_1496.jpg2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2-img_1495.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Great looking bike

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well... finally got to actually ride it

Just like my 2013 S-Works Venge only better this bike just pushes you to ride fast and hard.

2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2-img_1501.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    Well... finally got to actually ride it

Just like my 2013 S-Works Venge only better this bike just pushes you to ride fast and hard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1501.JPG 
Views:	2933 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	320684
    Stunning!!! Also, you're tall!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Such a beautiful bike! And that paint job is gorgeous. What does it weigh? Size 56 yeah?

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you are looking for lightweight look at the Tarmac this bike is around 17 lbs weighed on the bike shops scale as shown.

I'm 5'11" and this is a 56cm yes i could go lower on the stack height or possibly experiment with a Vias aero flat bar but for now with approx 130 miles on the bike I'm still feeling it out.

Yes this bike makes no allocations for running external brake cables as you might have seen on the Pro's bikes and the non-S Works vias disc bikes so my thoughts of swapping stems and bars have been nixed. The bike was designed for this bar and stem combo so I'm going with it.

Also applying carbon paste on the handlebars/stem clamp is highly recommended...apparently during fitting this was overlooked and I hit a road undulation while on the hoods and had the bars slip whoops! When I got home I took apart the bar/stem assembly cleaned well and applied carbon friction paste and reassembled torquing to the recommended specs, hopefully this fixed this isolated issue.

Having owned a previous generation Venge and knowing what to expect this is NOT a comfort bike if you plan on spending all day in the saddle I'd suggest a Roubaix or the Tarmac as this bike is pretty harsh and stiff. If crits or fast group/solo rides are your thing look no further than this beast.

I live on the flat as a board gulf coast so having a light weight climbing bike isn't my thing this bike just wants you to go fast. I'll try and get some better photos of the bike in the sun as the color looks fantastic as it goes from a purple to a turquoise dark green to almost a black.

I've just done three solo rides on it so far, I'm anticipating some interesting feed back from my regular tue/thur ride group and my Saturday hammerfest bunch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The weight is why I haven't been sold on the VIAS. I loved my old venge but it didn't have a weight penalty for the hills in MA, which is probably why I went with the SL5 tarmac when my venge frame cracked earlier this year. I never had any comfort issues with my old venge though and the tarmac doesn't really feel any different from a comfort standpoint but that could just be me.

I'll probably wait to see what they do with the venge next year and if they manage to get the weight down I might look into one again. If they don't drop the weight the new SL6 seems like the perfect blend of the old venge and the qualities I've grown to like about the tarmac.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    The weight is why I haven't been sold on the VIAS.
    I "assume" that if you get the frame-set and it has the external cable/brake ports similar to the frames the pro's use you can build up a pretty lightweight Vias Disc bike. As the Vias Stem/Handlebar/Spacers etc... is pretty hefty compared to the blingy carbon fiber stems and bars you can get yourself.

The actual disc vias frame is lighter than the rim brake version and i'll guess the fork is too as you don't have the rim brakes attached to the frame or fork.

The bugaboo for many folks is the stem/handlebar system as your committed once you cut the steerer. Aesthetically the stem/handlebar system is very polarizing it looks cool with the stem all the way slammed as in the catalog photos but in reality even with one spacer in there it's kinda fugly. You can't tell once on the bike though.

If specialized made some type of tapered spacer kit for folks not wanting to run the vias only stem/handlebar set up you would at least have options. The new Giant Propel disc and the errrr...Trek Madone 9.9 do a much better job aesthetically with the aero stem/handlebar combo IMOHO.

If super weight weenie stuff is your goal there are better options than the Venge Vias Disc under the Specialized banner. If I lived in Colorado or anywhere with climbing the venge vias would not be my first choice. I personally feel that for where and how I ride the Venge Vias disc is the best tool for the job.

The S-Works Tarmac Ultralight which I've seen and drooled over at my local shop is a legit 13 lbs bike outta the box and if my pockets were deep enough I'd love to own one myself, You might want to look at the build sheet and build one up for yourself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Yeah I realize the Vias is no weight weenie but Iím trying to find the weight of this new 9170 model, it doesnít seem to be listed anywhere. Iíve seen the etap and Ultegra Di2 model at around the 7700gram mark, not sure where that would put the 9170 model

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    The weight is why I haven't been sold on the VIAS. I loved my old venge but it didn't have a weight penalty for the hills in MA, which is probably why I went with the SL5 tarmac when my venge frame cracked earlier this year. I never had any comfort issues with my old venge though and the tarmac doesn't really feel any different from a comfort standpoint but that could just be me.

I'll probably wait to see what they do with the venge next year and if they manage to get the weight down I might look into one again. If they don't drop the weight the new SL6 seems like the perfect blend of the old venge and the qualities I've grown to like about the tarmac.
    I have the Expert Disc Vias (essentially the S-Works without the stem, wheels, and graphics). I've found it to be a good climber, as well as plenty comfortable. I also offer this perspective as the owner of an SL5 S-Works Tarmac. I live in a much flatter area of NYC compared to MA hills. But I still take my Venge up 9W or into hilly northern NJ.

OP, your new ride is really spectacular. Best of luck with it, enjoy those miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    I have the Expert Disc Vias (essentially the S-Works without the stem, wheels, and graphics). I've found it to be a good climber, as well as plenty comfortable. I also offer this perspective as the owner of an SL5 S-Works Tarmac. I live in a much flatter area of NYC compared to MA hills. But I still take my Venge up 9W or into hilly northern NJ.

OP, your new ride is really spectacular. Best of luck with it, enjoy those miles.
    Wetworks..what do you mean without the VIAS stem? Did you replace the VIAS stem with a conventional stem? I am quite sure all models of VIAS come with the gooseneck stem designed for internal routing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Wetworks..what do you mean without the VIAS stem? Did you replace the VIAS stem with a conventional stem? I am quite sure all models of VIAS come with the gooseneck stem designed for internal routing.
    The 2017 Expert Disc is a ViAS frame. It also has the same fork, handlebars, and seatpost as the SW as far as I know, but comes with a standard alloy stem.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ve...ultegra/118388

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast