Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Forever a Student

Another team not using the Dura-Ace rotors. Just noticing things.
    use a torque wrench

Not a climber

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    OK this could be B.S. but here's the story I got from one of the few bikes shops that carries both Trek and Specialized in the country (grandfathered in before the whole 55% of floor must be either trek of spesh rule). The delay on the new tarmacs is also the same delay on the new trek sl7's and 8's and other New Ultegra spec'd bikes.

Shimano is really behind in manufacturing and specifically the NEW ultegra shifter/brake combo that have the trickle down tech from DuraAce in the smaller hoods. Specialized will have to offer a ui2 version of this bike to compete with trek. They can't do this if shimano does not have the new ui2 brake/shifter combo's ready to ship or even manufactured. They don't expect to be shipping the new ultgra hydro group (the ones with the small hoods) till mid march.

So what you will probably see is yes at the TDU you will see a presser of the new disc tarmacs. They will release it then, but more than likely you will only be able to get the s-works with DA models right away. The ultegra models for us common folk will be announced, but not available till late march. Again because shimano.

This is hearsay but again this shop is one of the largest in the country and they def. know their trek and spesh bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I don't care about Shimano, I would rather have Sram. But that's just me. I want to build 1x anyways. At least let me get the frame.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by combfilter View Post
    Again because shimano.
    Interesting as I'm still waiting for the new Dura-Ace 9100 (carbon clincher) wheels to appear for purchase somewhere.

Your reasoning with the Ultegra R8000 slow release sounds about right. Is the SRAM Force disc out of the question due to the fact it's not electronic shift?

I would imagine the S-Works disc tarmac level will have the Etap SRAM and or Dura-Ace Di2 options and maybe they will have a mechanical/hydro SRAM offering for the non-S-Works and then mid-season introduce the Ui2 version.

Or...

The Venge Vias Di2 Disc S-Works comes with the 9100 Dura-Ace and the Venge Vias Pro Disc also comes with 9100 Dura-Ace but at $3000 cheaper Hmmm... I'm now revisiting my decision last summer. Nevertheless perhaps they will do the same to the new tarmac disc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by combfilter View Post
    OK this could be B.S. but here's the story I got from one of the few bikes shops that carries both Trek and Specialized in the country...
    If I understand this correctly the affected version is only the Ultegra Di2 Hydro (8070) and NOT the mechanical version (8020) or both?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    Interesting as I'm still waiting for the new Dura-Ace 9100 (carbon clincher) wheels to appear for purchase somewhere.
    I bought a set of 9100 C-24's two months ago from probikekit. An LBS has them on the display floor as well...

Not a climber
    The Shimano supply story is the same thing I heard back at the beginning of October (and posted about earlier in this thread...) from a Spesh rep, but nobody wanted to believe it. Makes you wonder if any other companies are delivering their Ui2 disc bikes since they have already released them (BMC, Canyon, Giant, etc)

But this would explain why the '18 Venge Vias Pro Disc comes with mech/hydro Dura Ace instead of Di2/hydro Ultegra. They couldn't get the Ui2 out in time, so they upgraded and stuck with mechanical for a bit more money than the usual Pro. I really hope they don't do this with the Tarmac because I don't want to buy a new bike and have to upgrade the components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    The Venge Vias Di2 Disc S-Works comes with the 9100 Dura-Ace and the Venge Vias Pro Disc also comes with 9100 Dura-Ace but at $3000 cheaper Hmmm... I'm now revisiting my decision last summer. Nevertheless perhaps they will do the same to the new tarmac disc.
    You mean 9170 on the sworks? For 3000 more you are getting the integrated stem (pro doesn't have this), di2 vs mechanical shifting, CLX vs CL wheels (ceramic bearings being difference?) sworks seat vs expert. Those are the only immediate differences I noticed, so it is questionable if those things alone are worth the extra 3k though you do have that nice chameleon color.

That said, the expert/pro non disc tarmacs are only the 10r carbon which is different from the VIAS which is all 11r regardless of sworks or not. The sworks tarmacs are also 12r and not 11r so supposedly 2 grades better than the pro/expert variations?

At this point I'm waiting to see what they do with the next model of venge. If they can keep it as aero as the ViAS while removing the weight penalty of the current one I might go for that instead of the new Tarmac, but that means waiting longer, which given my current lack of budget might not be that big an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Starting to wonder whether we will actually be seeing the disc brake Tarmac in the TDU, with all of the other new Specialized items popping up there: helmet, shoes, powermeter.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    I will bet the Tarmac disc will be seen there!! If not they definitely have a problem with it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoud View Post
    Starting to wonder whether we will actually be seeing the disc brake Tarmac in the TDU, with all of the other new Specialized items popping up there: helmet, shoes, powermeter.

You will see something about the disc tarmac for sure around the TDU. This whole thing mostly affects the mid line models the price point bikes that would be spec'd with ultega di2. This is a big group and sounds like you wont be able to get this bike till after march.

However if you want the s works version which I am sure will be spec'd with DA then you should be fine to place an order and probably get it in two weeks.

Same thing applies to mech or lower end models. They can even spec those with sram or whatever cheap stuff they decide to oem on them.

This whole thing mostly affects their ui2 level but that happens to be a big seller in most markets.

You could maybe buy the s works frameset and build up with the new ui2 or older fatter hood ui2 pretty fast.

So i am guessing they announce it all around tdu, and even put all the bikes up on their site. You will be able to order all with the caveat that if you order ui2 you are not getting it till probably apr. This could all be wrong but who knows. Being a mountain biker i'll gladly wait it out to have shimano hydro over sram.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Sounds good! I am in for an S-works...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    I am keen to see which colours/ paint they will offer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The site is currently being updated. My guess is this is it.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Keep the updates coming!!

Not a climber
    Site is back up, I don't see any changes to bikes, shoes, helmets, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    It may have been behind the scenes work to prepare for a TDU launch or something like that. I can't see them voluntarily taking their site down for some basic maintenance, etc. My guess is they are getting ready. The TDU starts in like 6 days.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Shoes and helmet are up, kind of. Essentially just an acknowledgement that they exist... which is already public knowledge. So, just opt to give them your email for when they are ready to do the usual full marketing press with some sort of deceptive patter about how much faster the helmet is.
    The helmet and shoes do like nice tho.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Site is undergoing maintenance again this morning and the TDU is currently underway I believe (saw something on instagram about Sagan winning first stage on what looked to be a rim brake ViAS). So might be a good day to watch the site for new stuff.

Not a climber
    Sagan got third on the first stage.

Spoiler alert!

Greipel won Stage one. Sagan won the People's Choice Crit, I think on a Venge as well.

The Spesh site is back up with zero updates.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sagan got third on the first stage.

Spoiler alert!

Greipel won Stage one. Sagan won the People's Choice Crit, I think on a Venge as well.

The Spesh site is back up with zero updates.
    Ahh, that's what it was then. I guess I didn't realize the People's Choice thing wasn't one of the stages.

Yeah, no updates other than saying the new evade and shoe is coming soon (assuming those weren't there before).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    The ultralights are gone from the page and the bike pictures are rearranged. Tarmacs that is.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not a climber
    I'm still seeing the UL frameset and full bike. Things are rearranged, but nothing is missing that I can tell.

I'll be measuring myself for a Canyon Aeroad pretty soon here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Specialized certainly has a problem with their Tarmac disc...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast