Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Not a climber
    I don't remember a single instance where they released a new bike and only had the S-works available, then released the pro/expert models a full model year later. It wasn't the case with the SL6 rim brake for sure. Maybe the lower models weren't available as fast, but they were revealed at the same time and in customers' hands only a month or two later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    I don't remember a single instance where they released a new bike and only had the S-works available, then released the pro/expert models a full model year later. It wasn't the case with the SL6 rim brake for sure. Maybe the lower models weren't available as fast, but they were revealed at the same time and in customers' hands only a month or two later.
    Not when it is their standard line anyways as both the ViAS and the SL6 released with non sworks models, though for the ViAS the lowest you got was a $8000 pro version and the SL6 is a $4k ultegra equipped expert. Second ViAS year when they went discs there was an expert version available but this was the second year the bike was available so might not count.

Maybe since the disc version isn't the "standard" for the tarmac product line they aren't doing a full release? Seems counter productive though if the goal is to get everyone riding discs.

It is up on the specialized website, only in Sworks, 2 colors for men, 1 for women (women's color being the best imo)
    Last edited by taodemon; 03-14-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    That is not true at all... When the ViAS first came out, it was only in a rim brake S-Works model.

Last year, when the SL6 was announced, the Pro wasn't available at the same... the pro and expected models didn't come out until like November.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    If this is truly the case, I'm done waiting and going to order a Canyon

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    That is not true at all... When the ViAS first came out, it was only in a rim brake S-Works model.

Last year, when the SL6 was announced, the Pro wasn't available at the same... the pro and expected models didn't come out until like November.
    Rich, I'm pretty sure the pro ViAS was available at launch though it was the same carbon layup as the sworks only down grades being no quarq, no di2, CL64 vs CLX64.

When they put up the rim sl6 on the site the pro was up there too, expert might have come a little later but most reviews at the time listed the pro/expert configs right from the start.

This not being a the "standard" tarmac might have more to do with the limited release though as I mentioned before seems counter productive to getting more disc bikes out in the wild for those that are into them (I personally fall into the not interested in disc camp).
    Last edited by taodemon; 03-14-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    I personally fall into the not interested in disc camp.
    It's funny. I'm really torn. There's a piece of me that loves the simplicity of rim brakes on a road bike and the new SL6 with rim brakes looks soooo nice, but I'm also a HUGE fan of the hydraulic disc brakes that I have on my MTB... damn, they just work so well and it is amazing how well they stop the bike in horrible conditions. There's never a doubt in my mind. I can't quite say the same for rim brakes on carbon wheels. I also had a disc brake road bike back in the day... Yup, it's true.. the reason my name on here is "tricross rich" is because I had a disc brake Tricross Elite as my first road bike.... I spent way too much money on that thing.. It's probably the most bling Tricross, you'll ever see.. hahaha.

I think that's part of the reason why I like rim brakes... living with disc brakes on this bike was definitely a little big of a pain in the butt. I swapped wheels for the road and trainer use and I was constantly adjusting and re-adjusting the caliper to get it right, so that it wouldn't rub on the rotor and make noise. On my MTB, smashing around in the woods, you don't hear that kind of stuff at all.... but on a totally silent road, climbing a hill when all you can hear is your heart beat and your breathing.. and the rub of the brakes. It is annoying. Keep in mind, these were cable actuated disc brakes, so they didn't offer the power that hydraulics do and they don't tend to seat back as well as hydraulics do. Now, with 3 seats of carbon wheels, there's also a piece of me that doesn't want to buy new wheels either. If I find a rim brake Tarmac SL6, all of my wheels could slide in and i'd be golden.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    The frames are now up on the specialized website too. Loving that Chameleon blue with Cyan logos. Good thing it is disc only as if it were available in a rim version I might not be able to hold myself back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    The frames are now up on the specialized website too. Loving that Chameleon blue with Cyan logos. Good thing it is disc only as if it were available in a rim version I might not be able to hold myself back.
    Yea, that one caught my eye as well. Unlike you, I am not at all averse to discs, so I may be in trouble later this year, lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Yea, that one caught my eye as well. Unlike you, I am not at all averse to discs, so I may be in trouble later this year, lol.
    Well for me if it is a rim brake frame it is just a matter buying a frame and moving stuff over and a lot easier on the wallet than needing new wheels and groupset. In a "switch to disc" scenario, it would mean pretty much a whole new bike and if I'm going to do that I would rather wait to see what they do with the new venge which I assume is unlikely to be rim brake either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    2018 SW Tarmac Disc Availability-img_3054.jpg

Had to go with the Wahoo Blue color bar wrap as that's what I had around for the build. Maiden voyage later today...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789