Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 101
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    78

    2018 SW Tarmac Disc Availability

    I've searched the forums, but didn't find anything relating to this, hence the new post. I was hoping the good people of the forum had some insight into the approximate release date/month of the 2018 SW Tarmac Disc.

    I've read that it won't be released until CY18, but I'm seriously hoping that's a conservative estimate. Currently on a BMC RM01, which I like, but given the new SW Tarmac geometry, and the fact that it's supposed to be lighter, I'm chomping at the bits to be back on a Tarmac.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by boogermin View Post
    I've searched the forums, but didn't find anything relating to this, hence the new post. I was hoping the good people of the forum had some insight into the approximate release date/month of the 2018 SW Tarmac Disc.

    I've read that it won't be released until CY18, but I'm seriously hoping that's a conservative estimate. Currently on a BMC RM01, which I like, but given the new SW Tarmac geometry, and the fact that it's supposed to be lighter, I'm chomping at the bits to be back on a Tarmac.

    Thanks in advance.
    My LBS told me end of this month or first part of Oct. I'm waiting to order one. I've been sitting in an insurance bike claim since June.🤞

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,259
    I've barely seen even the rim brake versions in the wild or on Instagram. Lots of lightweight models showing up, but none of the other colors. Zero disc models either.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    137
    @ SpecializedEurope today at the test day nobody was willing to say anything about the Tarmac disc availability. Focus on the non Disc only at the moment, since the discs are not yet the go to bike for any UCI race and also for example not adopted by the Dutch cycling association in any race (even not in club rides...)


    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,259
    I was told the disc version is waiting on reliable availability of the new Shimano disc build kits. I guess they can also put Sram on the disc version since they don't have to worry about the direct mount brake limitation.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: WRM4865's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    55
    I have NOT seen a 18' disc as shown in the photo below however... If it's as half as nice as the ultralight tarmac that I have seen (and rode briefly) at my local shop, It will be worth the wait.

    2018 SW Tarmac Disc Availability-26-specialized_tarmac_sl6_2018-12.jpg

    I'm an aero-bike aficionado tho' and love my 2018 S Works Venge Vias Disc, nevertheless I would love to have a 18' S Works Tarmac Disc in my stable.

    Once you go electronic shifting and disc brakes It's hard to go back to cable actuated and rim brakes.

    Also going tubeless is one of those things of..." why did I wait so long to finally do this ? " the S Works turbo tubeless are like free speed they roll really really nice.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    514
    Love the Tarmac and new aero cues even if stuck with the one bolt seatpost...but not with disk brakes or electric shifting.

    Not that you have to copy the pros but they pretty much categorically dismiss disk brakes and are allowed to race with them. Further, Joe six pack isn't constrained by a 15lb UCI weight limit. Rim brake bike is lighter.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    137
    Wow looks really good on that picture. 140/140 is however not really the way to go in my opinion.

    Getting a bit frustrated that the disc version is not available. If it comes as quickly of introducing as the regular one it will be summer 18...

    Pros not using discs has other reasons, including wheel change availability. And Joe six pack may well be better of with a disc brake bike, but let's not start another disc yes or no discussion.


    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,259
    It's not about having the lightest bike in the world and it's not about what the pros want (or are paid) to use. (Look at Kittel, he was riding multiple races and winning on disc brakes. Then someone falsely accused his discs of cutting them and he stopped because he doesn't want **** from his fellow riders. So it has nothing to do with their performance, discs still have a stigma in pro cycling. Go check the pro CX ranks and see how many rim brakes are there...) If I'm spending $6k or more on a bike, it better have the best technology available. So if they make a Tarmac with electronic shifting, disc brakes, carbon wheels, and tubeless tires, I'm 100% going to buy that model. I'm dead set on buying a new Tarmac and could have the Pro Di2 model very soon, but I'm electing to wait on the disc version to come out. What's a few months when I'll be riding the CX bike in races and gravel rides through the fall anyway?

    I haven't moved to carbon wheels on my road bike because I don't want brakes that suck when they get wet or possibly explode if I use them too much going down a hill. I bought Mavic exalith Cosmic wheels instead to get even better braking power than normal aluminum wheels while still being aero. I was considering swapping these wheels over to a new Tarmac with rim brakes, but why give up really nice factory spec'd carbon wheels for something way heavier when I can just wait a bit and get the best braking and keep the lightweight wheels.


    Has anyone ridden a bike with 140/140 disc brakes and said 'wow, this is not enough braking power' or 'crap, I'm descending so much that my brake fluid is boiling and rotors warping with this small front rotor'? Just wondering since I'm 200+ lbs and could probably benefit from a bigger front rotor. Maybe that's what part of the holdup is, trying to figure out if they should go bigger in the front. My Crux is 160/140 and that's made for short cross courses without long periods of braking. I can't imagine a bike made for flying down mountain roads would have less braking power.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    514
    We completely disagree about disc brakes. I side with the pros who prefer rim brakes. Only reason why Kittel raced discs is because Specialized couldn't figure out how to make the VIAS stop with integrated rim brakes even after a design change. Discs in the pro peloton where the most grueling racing and highest speed descents take place...are as rare as hen's teeth. They are a weight penalty and an aero disadvantage. Not huge but that is the reality. Maintenance is a further PITA.
    We will simply have to disagree.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post


    Has anyone ridden a bike with 140/140 disc brakes and said 'wow, this is not enough braking power' or 'crap, I'm descending so much that my brake fluid is boiling and rotors warping with this small front rotor'? Just wondering since I'm 200+ lbs and could probably benefit from a bigger front rotor. Maybe that's what part of the holdup is, trying to figure out if they should go bigger in the front. My Crux is 160/140 and that's made for short cross courses without long periods of braking. I can't imagine a bike made for flying down mountain roads would have less braking power.

    I had 140/140 on my TCR and the braking was good, but the move to 160/140 then 160/160 made for a noticeable improvement. I started off at 185lbs when I got the bike (now 160), if you're over 200lbs I wouldn't do the 140's. A lot of the bike companies are putting 140's on because people think they look better. I switched to Sram rotors which have more open design than the Shimano so the bigger rotors don't dominate the look as much.

    Going to bigger rotors is just a matter of flipping over the mounting block on the calipers, so certainly not holding up the release of the bike

    .

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    We completely disagree about disc brakes. I side with the pros who prefer rim brakes. Only reason why Kittel raced discs is because Specialized couldn't figure out how to make the VIAS stop with integrated rim brakes even after a design change. Discs in the pro peloton where the most grueling racing and highest speed descents take place...are as rare as hen's teeth. They are a weight penalty and an aero disadvantage. Not huge but that is the reality. Maintenance is a further PITA.
    We will simply have to disagree.

    The OP was asking about the availability of the disc brake Tarmac, since the rim brake version is already available there was no need for you to insert your opinion on disc brakes into this discussion.


    Until it's ruled that everyone needs to be racing on discs, pros are always going to choose not to run them if there is a perceived disadvantage to someone who is not using them. Why would you take a chance on a potentially slower wheel change, etc. when you know your competition is not going to have that issue?
    And BTW, I saw an interview with some pros asking if they wanted disc, many were indifferent and a few who said they didn't want them admitted they had never even tried them.
    I've also seen photos of quite a few pros on disc brakes while training, so unless you are racing at the sharp end of the stick, worrying about such marginal gains is a bit silly and you should be looking more to what the pros ride when training (or after retiring) than what they are racing on.


    .


    .

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: WRM4865's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    55
    They ARE making a rim brake tarmac for those folks that want rim brakes and they WILL have a disc brake tarmac for those folks that want disc brakes.

    Why are we even having this discussion as everyone can be happy?

    Been there done that with the retro-grouch stuff years ago thinking I was the sh*t on my Colnago C50 with full Record Campy... I've since moved on as I don't "need" to have what-the-pros-ride replica and have embraced cycling technology.

    Ride what makes YOU happy and not what you precieve everyone else thinks is cool or "pro".

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    They ARE making a rim brake tarmac for those folks that want rim brakes and they WILL have a disc brake tarmac for those folks that want disc brakes.

    Why are we even having this discussion as everyone can be happy?

    Been there done that with the retro-grouch stuff years ago thinking I was the sh*t on my Colnago C50 with full Record Campy... I've since moved on as I don't "need" to have what-the-pros-ride replica and have embraced cycling technology.

    Ride what makes YOU happy and not what you precieve everyone else thinks is cool or "pro".
    If you put the same wheelset on your Colnago with Campy you would be as fast as any Tarmac FWIW...lol.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,688
    Man I hate those heavy disc brake equipped bikes. They're such a liability.

    https://instagram.com/p/BaXHf98nR3X/
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Man I hate those heavy disc brake equipped bikes. They're such a liability.

    https://instagram.com/p/BaXHf98nR3X/
    Hear ya. That disc Felt is a veritable boat anchor compared to this rim braked Emonda SL10 and of course the most recent Tarmac disc is even porkier than the Felt. If dropping $8-10K for a bike, might as well get some benefit:

    Trek Emonda - a 10lb road bike - BikeRadar USA

  17. #17
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    We completely disagree about disc brakes. I side with the pros who prefer rim brakes. Only reason why Kittel raced discs is because Specialized couldn't figure out how to make the VIAS stop with integrated rim brakes even after a design change. Discs in the pro peloton where the most grueling racing and highest speed descents take place...are as rare as hen's teeth. They are a weight penalty and an aero disadvantage. Not huge but that is the reality. Maintenance is a further PITA.
    We will simply have to disagree.
    Yup, you seem to disagree with everyone in this thread, which is for people that appreciate all the benefits of a disc Tarmac.

    Since you don't like discs, might as well head on over to the rim brake Tarmac thread where you can discuss direct mount brakes being more annoying than single bolt, and how electronic shifting is ruining the soul of cycling.

  18. #18
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    I had 140/140 on my TCR and the braking was good, but the move to 160/140 then 160/160 made for a noticeable improvement. I started off at 185lbs when I got the bike (now 160), if you're over 200lbs I wouldn't do the 140's. A lot of the bike companies are putting 140's on because people think they look better. I switched to Sram rotors which have more open design than the Shimano so the bigger rotors don't dominate the look as much.

    Going to bigger rotors is just a matter of flipping over the mounting block on the calipers, so certainly not holding up the release of the bike

    .
    Hmm, didn't know it was just a spacer flip, I figured they'd have to space the caliper further away from the axle. Makes sense. Kind of annoying that I might have to buy another set of brake rotors for a brand new bike. Hopefully I can get the shop to just swap them out when new.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    We completely disagree about disc brakes. I side with the pros who prefer rim brakes. Only reason why Kittel raced discs is because Specialized couldn't figure out how to make the VIAS stop with integrated rim brakes even after a design change. Discs in the pro peloton where the most grueling racing and highest speed descents take place...are as rare as hen's teeth. They are a weight penalty and an aero disadvantage. Not huge but that is the reality. Maintenance is a further PITA.
    We will simply have to disagree.
    So to paraphrase your words. The only reason why this disc bike is good is because the rim-brake version sucks.

    Also I disagree with your outlook on discs. With the 6.8kg weight minimum still in place, bikes like the Emonda SLR Disc will be used in mountain stages because descents are the only place where braking actually matters. Kittel certainly does not need the advantages of a disc brake in a sprint finish, nor when he is sitting behind the QuickStep Floors train in the peloton leading up to it. Besides at sprint speeds, the effective yaw angle on an aero bike is only a couple of degrees and disc brakes do not add a ton of drag, nor is the weight difference significant.

    Eventually there will be a tipping point where it no longer makes sense to carry both rim-brake and disc-brake component spares and rim-brakes will be out of the peloton permanently, and hopefully your opinions will be gone too.
    Last edited by ceugene; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:50 PM.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    318
    Sagan doesn't seem to have any issues braking with the rim brake vias, he never rode the disc version.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    So to paraphrase your words. The only reason why this disc bike is good is because the rim-brake version sucks.

    Also I disagree with your outlook on discs. With the 6.8kg weight minimum still in place, bikes like the Emonda SLR Disc will be used in mountain stages because descents are the only place where braking actually matters. Kittel certain does not need the advantages of a disc brake in a sprint finish, nor when he is sitting behind the QuickStep Floors train in the peloton leading up to it. Besides at sprint speeds, the effective yaw angle on an aero bike is only a couple of degrees and disc brakes do not add a ton of drag, nor is the weight difference significant.

    Eventually there will be a tipping point where it no longer makes sense to carry both rim-brake and disc-brake component spares and rim-brakes will be out of the peloton permanently, and hopefully your opinions will be gone too.
    Gonna be a while…lol. Currently disc brakes in the pro peloton are about as common as riders stopping to play bingo during a race stage.


  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by mile2424 View Post
    Sagan doesn't seem to have any issues braking with the rim brake vias, he never rode the disc version.
    Sagan prefers rim brakes like vast majority of pro riders.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,688
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Gonna be a while…lol. Currently disc brakes in the pro peloton are about as common as riders stopping to play bingo during a race stage.
    I actually wouldn't bank on that. The change in cyclocross happened relatively quickly once the thumbs up was given and I could see the same thing happening on the road. Once you eliminate the weight issue the way companies like Trek, BMC, Scott, Fuji, Felt, and Specialized are doing, there's not many strong arguments for sticking with rim brakes left. The aero thing is a marginal issue at best. A bunch of pros aren't even on aero bikes and companies like Cannondale doesn't even make one. Many pros seem to get adequate aerodynamics from fit and wheels, etc. It's happening and soon IMO.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,521
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Sagan prefers rim brakes like vast majority of pro riders.





    .

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    318
    He never raced on them to my knowledge, I am sure he has ridden some test rides with them including wheelies on his blinged out gold wheeled version

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2018 Tarmac
    By MMsRepBike in forum Specialized
    Replies: 203
    Last Post: 23 Hours Ago, 08:48 PM
  2. 2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2
    By WRM4865 in forum Specialized
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 05:48 PM
  3. RBR TdF 2018 Predictions! Post by Start Time 2018
    By PJay in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2017, 03:58 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2017, 05:20 AM
  5. Velo tests aero drag of disc vs. non-disc Tarmac
    By OldChipper in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-26-2015, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •