Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Tarmac

Forever a Student

2018 Tarmac

Nothing special if you ask me.

Not looking forward to whatever lies their marketing department will come up with this time.

Let's hope they finally, for once, made an actual lightweight road frameset.

Direct mount caliper brakes, you can bet the farm the disc brake version is ready or close to it... this company is one of the big disc pushers.

Where's the closeup of the bottom bracket? What kind of bottom bracket does it have?

Not seeing anything fancy at all on this bike, which is good if you ask me. The D shaped seatpost is a big negative. They're not the only ones guilty of this though.
    Last edited by MMsRepBike; 06-05-2017 at 05:51 AM.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Foto Series looks interesting. Wondering what the disc version will look like and whether they will integrate the Di2 junction box.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoud View Post
    Foto Series looks interesting. Wondering what the disc version will look like and whether they will integrate the Di2 junction box.

There is a hole in the downtube for what looks like the junction box.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    MM,
    I largely agree with your observations. The hidden seat post clamp is a disaster. The D shaped post which saves .2 watts at 35 mph comes at a huge cost to using a generic post of the owner's choice aka less offset and 2 bolt many prefer.
    Unlikely that Specialized 'advanced' back to a BSA BB like the Roubaix because that just wouldn't be as 'cool' aka racy like the Tarmac even though most of us vastly prefer a threaded BB.

No, we as consumers don't get exactly what we want. But there are other companies out there...Pinerello for example went back to a BSA BB and their proprietary aero post is 2 bolt....two good reasons to go Dogma F8 versus Sworks Tarmac.
    The brake issue which likely saves another watt at 30 mph is probably way more hassle and certainly more cost than benefit.

The price of so called 'progress' which makes lower level frames today with trickle down technology more attractive...kind of like Shimano 105 11s versus DA at 3x's the price for a handful of grams and limited functional improvement if any.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    But wait....it will be 10% stiffer, and 3% more aero......isn't that what everyone wants? 😉

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

FTP testing
    Take a Allez Sprint frame + Canyon Ultimate frame, make a baby and this is what you apparently get. Will be interesting to hear the stats on the frame and what kind of magic Peter Denk was able to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post

Nothing special if you ask me.

Not looking forward to whatever lies their marketing department will come up with this time.

Let's hope they finally, for once, made an actual lightweight road frameset.

Direct mount caliper brakes, you can bet the farm the disc brake version is ready or close to it... this company is one of the big disc pushers.

Where's the closeup of the bottom bracket? What kind of bottom bracket does it have?

Not seeing anything fancy at all on this bike, which is good if you ask me. The D shaped seatpost is a big negative. They're not the only ones guilty of this though.
    I would buy this bike. I would not buy the current version. Just wanted to wedge that in there quickly before the Specialized Spin Machine starts so that I can't be accused of being a victim of whatever uh, generous claims, shall we say, are forthcoming.

I like it, aesthetically. It has a clean, functional look. Is it a stunning beauty? No.
    But most of the changes were predictable in the sense that they had to make them. It's just not possible anymore to put bikes out there without real tweaks to the aerodynamics.

But yeah, an important question is were they able to do this and still get the frame weight down... I can't imagine they didn't keep the Tarmac's signature handling and torsional stiffness. For several generations it has been pretty much the best handling bike made and that's not something you walk away from in updating a design.

And yeah, I'm really really not looking forward to the marketing onslaught/claims and the dissection that it will require of us yet again. I'm pretty sure their marketing is outsourced to Russian hackers.
    It's hard to imagine they will come up with anything as outrageous as that 5-minute scheme, but that kind of massive spin machinery doesn't sit idle... for sure some rough advertising beast, its time come 'round at last, is already slouching toward Bethlehem .... bearing Nibali upon its shoulders and trailing the distinct scent of sulfur.

Forever a Student
    It's quite simple, which I like.

It's similar to a lot of other bikes out there now.

I'd ride it, but luckily I have other nice bikes to ride, including the SL4 Tarmac.

I'm guessing geometry will largely stay the same, although it is weird to me (basically same reach on the 49, 52 and 54).

A sub 800 gram frame weight would be spot on, it's about time for it.

But what bottom bracket does this beast have?

+700% in stiffness and +900% in compliance of course. Super duper aero, wins races by itself too of course. Disc version of course. But then questions arise there.

What spacing on the disc? 142? Better be. And will the longer chainstays of the disc also be on the rim brake version? Should be. Would be nice to see both at 410 or 412. I'm a fan of the longer chainstay. We can engineer the stay plenty stiff with carbon at whatever length is how I see it.

Just show me the geometry charts for the disc and rim versions and skip the rest please.

I predict this will be quite popular with the pros, especially the sprinters actually, due to the better braking vs the rim brake Venge.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    It's quite simple, which I like.

It's similar to a lot of other bikes out there now.

I'd ride it, but luckily I have other nice bikes to ride, including the SL4 Tarmac.

I'm guessing geometry will largely stay the same, although it is weird to me (basically same reach on the 49, 52 and 54).

A sub 800 gram frame weight would be spot on, it's about time for it.

But what bottom bracket does this beast have?

+700% in stiffness and +900% in compliance of course. Super duper aero, wins races by itself too of course. Disc version of course. But then questions arise there.

What spacing on the disc? 142? Better be. And will the longer chainstays of the disc also be on the rim brake version? Should be. Would be nice to see both at 410 or 412. I'm a fan of the longer chainstay. We can engineer the stay plenty stiff with carbon at whatever length is how I see it.

Just show me the geometry charts for the disc and rim versions and skip the rest please.

I predict this will be quite popular with the pros, especially the sprinters actually, due to the better braking vs the rim brake Venge.

There are echoes of the new Roubaix, but this is a much cleaner look.
    I was thinking exactly the same on the weight number, for the s-works version at least.
    900 grams would be a modest fail.
    I had an SL4 and in most ways it was the best bike I ever rode... I guess in pretty much everything except solo straight-line speed, and in absolute weight weenie numbers.
    But it was really really light. My only gripe, beyond the aerodynamics which get really crucial when I'm off the back, was the seat stay that folded for no reason.
    I think mine was one of those one-off problems ... it looked like a micro-crack started up at the opening for the rear shifter cable and it just folded up there as I pulled away from a stop light.
    So I have an inherent bias for these much more robust-looking seat stays, but ... that is a personal problem.
    As to bottom bracket, its got to be some BB30 variant, but probably with a metal shell to press into rather than straight carbon. That seems to be the direction that they started moving into recently.
    Doesn't seem even faintly likely will it be threaded 24mm or anything else that makes their current spindles not work... Prob disc version will have slightly longer rear triangle like vias disc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I love the new frame, but fear all the weird proprietary tech that Specialized uses. I get why they do it to lock buyers in to their products, but it is a royal pain in the ass.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    I think it looks pretty cool.

I don't see any proprietary tech on this bike, other than seat post.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm slightly annoyed that they updated it right after I got the current one. That said, It doesn't impress me in terms of appearance, but that is usually the case with the bland black frames. I might change my mind once I see some of the production versions. If it keeps same feel/handling while dropping weight and improving aerodynamics I might be slightly more annoyed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess...lets say comparing the new S-works Tarmac to a new Madone available in two different geometries, why would somebody paying close to $5K for a frameset...lets take wheels and groupset out of the equation....why would anybody not choose a Madone? Its gonna be more aero. Its gonna be equally laterally stiff is not more so with mega wide BB. You can hide the cables if you want. Its got a pivot at the saddle mast for greater compliance. And its arguably more beautiful.
    My pick in this rarified air is the Madone.
    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by 11spd; 06-05-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Not a climber
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    I'm slightly annoyed that they updated it right after I got the current one.
    They redesign these things on a pretty tight 3 year cycle. Why did you buy a bike in the 3rd year?

I doubt your frame will be even remotely outdated even with this new design. Peter Sagan won the WC on it last year when it was 2 years old.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    They redesign these things on a pretty tight 3 year cycle. Why did you buy a bike in the 3rd year?

I doubt your frame will be even remotely outdated even with this new design. Peter Sagan won the WC on it last year when it was 2 years old.
    Yes...and they do it to create a new model to generate more interest and sales even if the changes they make don't really improve the breed. Sometimes they do make positive changes. But look closely what really is at play here. They create more complicated designs to set themselves apart from the competition that they can sell as an 'improvement' based upon marketing...and...the important part...they create things like brakes, seat posts, BB's etc that are proprietary....you have to buy their parts to fit their frames and not off the shelf parts from the aftermarket. Good news is, there are still pure designs like the CAAD 12 out there that is true value. I believe the Allez still isn't too f-ed up to be a good deal as well excepting the aero seatpost which is single bolt. When the Venge was redesigned, all bets were off with what they will do to sell bikes. All about the money. The fastest guys in my club are the fastest guys no matter what bike they are on.
    Last edited by 11spd; 06-05-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Yet another obscenely priced carbon wunder-bike. About as exciting as a black carbon bike you probably cannot afford is.

Wonder if they'll need to issue "price-corrections" this year. Trek went down, whereas Spec went up.
    Last edited by Marc; 06-05-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    This is an unusually sane thread. Specialized could have used you guys for a focus group. Can't anyone weigh in with something angry or ignorant? Geez, doesn't even feel like the internet.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    About as exciting as a black carbon bike you probably cannot is.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post

Yeah, not seeing anything hyper crazy. It looks like pretty much that they are keeping up with the F10, though the engineering will be better than Pinarello's.
    Seems like a pretty straightforward bike. With a port for your di2, which is not a bad thing. I put mine in the bar end finally but that's an ongoing issue..

Not a climber
    I wonder if other bike companies have so many haters. I never check out the other forums long enough to notice.

"Another redesign to make money" - This is a pretty extensive redesign that incorporates better brakes (direct mount or disc), different aero, and geometry (seatstays/seatpost/tube shapes). And yes, bike companies are out to make money, imagine that!

"Too expensive" - True, but on par or cheaper than other elite cycling brands. If you think it's too much, don't buy it! Or join a team and get yourself a nice discount. I joined my friend's cyclocross team and his shop gives me a discount on bikes. Worth the 100 bucks on his shop gear and I'm going to race anyway!

I'm looking forward to seeing the disc version and the price. I'm betting a Tarmac Pro Disc Ui2 will be at least $6k like the outgoing models. Hopefully I can sell my SL4 S-works and get a good team deal.

FTP testing
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper8888 View Post
    I put mine in the bar end finally but that's an ongoing issue..
    A 3T Integra Team stem works nicely to get the junction box out of the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Doesn't look good aesthetically to me but let's see what a Sagan built version looks like and wait for all the tech facts and reviews. I usually love everything Spesh, does but this just seems like a very lackluster update. Basically a carbon allez sprint with nothing new besides some dropped seat stays, redesigned seat post, and a tiny looking BB. The new Emonda, BMC, and even the "old" F10 look way better right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    I wonder if other bike companies have so many haters. I never check out the other forums long enough to notice.

"Another redesign to make money" - This is a pretty extensive redesign that incorporates better brakes (direct mount or disc), different aero, and geometry (seatstays/seatpost/tube shapes). And yes, bike companies are out to make money, imagine that!

"Too expensive" - True, but on par or cheaper than other elite cycling brands. If you think it's too much, don't buy it! Or join a team and get yourself a nice discount. I joined my friend's cyclocross team and his shop gives me a discount on bikes. Worth the 100 bucks on his shop gear and I'm going to race anyway!

I'm looking forward to seeing the disc version and the price. I'm betting a Tarmac Pro Disc Ui2 will be at least $6k like the outgoing models. Hopefully I can sell my SL4 S-works and get a good team deal.
    Views on bicycle design are not monolithic. I for example prefer the Tarmac SL4...prior to the SL5 with so called equivalent ride between all sizes and I ride a 58. Few dispute the hidden seat post clamp on the new bikes is awful. Specialized has a been a complete mess on their BB's. Going to pure BB30 finally after selling the public the worse BB in the industry on their best and most expensive Sworks bike is long overdo and pretty unforgivable for the years customers struggled with carbon OSBB before they finally discontinued it. The Tarmac SL4 and even the SL5 with crappy hidden post clamp are great bikes. I don't like disc brakes and don't want a road bike with them. I love off road bikes with them...even a gravel bike like a Diverge. If I lived in the mountains I would own a bike with discs but I don't. I don't like electric shifting. Top of the line Campy, Sram or DA mechanical are all fine. Even mid grade of each is good. I prefer Campy mechanical. Some pros prefer mechanical shifting and caliper brakes as well.
    I like carbon handlebars that are flat on top. I like good computers with GPS. I like powermeters. I believe deep section carbon wheels are faster. I believe tech has its place. I don't believe in all of it. I like the Madone because its aero, stiff where you need it and it rides nicely. Why compromise? The Roubaix with its front shock if you ride crappy roads is probably the best endurance bike on the market. Specialized makes great bikes. I don't agree with everything they do. The Venge VIAS before the disc version wouldn't stop. I have tested it. Its a fast bike that didn't brake very well. The disc version is much better but then you are stuck with disc brakes. I don't like the hassle of disc brakes...I have owned them and hydraulic brakes are more of PITA and needless if not riding in the mountains.

In summary, we each have to find what we like. If choosing a Tarmac, I would probably go SL4 and put a Praxis BB in it and the seatpost with setback I like. Right now I am riding 0 setback.

I love Durianrider...lol:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzEhqx0sDY
    Last edited by 11spd; 06-05-2017 at 03:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
    A 3T Integra Team stem works nicely to get the junction box out of the way.
    Yup... but not on a Vias.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post

I am with you. I like both this and the new BMC Teammachine. They are different, but both interesting on some level. Can't wait to see them in person. Pricing should be better on the Tarmac. There's reportedly a new Emonda out there too, but thus far it looks exactly like the old one. I have been hearing rumors of a new Giant Propel possibly being released as well.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 06-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast