RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017

2018 Tarmac manual

Hey guys, I just got my new sl6 frame a few days ago and have been looking for a manual just to read through all the included pieces. I will be installing a mechanical groupset on it. A few people I have asked with the new frame all just told me they had their lbs assemble it so haven't had much help yet. I am pretty familiar with the basic assembly of bikes I would just like to know what and where every little bit goes. Coming from a tcr this will be my first specialized frame and I am pretty excited. I found a similar thread but on the sl5 frameset. If anyone has a pdf or a manual for this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Forever a Student
    When you buy the frame, all the instructions come with it.

They're in the box.

When you buy a counterfeit frame, you come here to ask questions.

We don't allow you to talk about your counterfeit products here. So...
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Sorry to burst your bubble but my frame is not a counterfeit. Any written paper work found in the box has nothing to do with actual assembly of the frame or saying which cable liner/guide goes where. The owners manual is a manual as if i were to receive the bike as a whole. Here is an image i just took for you with the only paper work that came with the frame.
    2018 Tarmac manual-img_1914.jpg

please excuse my giant stem. ill be getting something else after i get fitted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014

Same issue

Quote Originally Posted by LehGin View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but my frame is not a counterfeit. Any written paper work found in the box has nothing to do with actual assembly of the frame or saying which cable liner/guide goes where. The owners manual is a manual as if i were to receive the bike as a whole. Here is an image i just took for you with the only paper work that came with the frame.

please excuse my giant stem. ill be getting something else after i get fitted.
    Yes, this is exactly the situation - just picked up new frame last week and it seems that Specialized expects you to be a mind reader and work out exactly what everything is for. Lots of bits and pieces and not a single piece of (relevant) instruction(s) about the frameset and what to do with each inclusion. Pretty poor for a piece of carbon that is so expensive. You would not mind if there were online installation manuals (eg Shimano, SRAM etc) but have not been able to find anything at all.

My LBS has been great though, so worked most of it out. However, if I had not done one before, would have been struggling to do the build. Not the way you should have to go about it though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    I ended up just following a link I found in an old thread. Had I not found it I would not have known to do the California Cross.

2016 Tarmac Build Procedure/Cable Routing

Here are a few shots after it was finished. My brother got excited and took a nice picture before I could decide on a stem length and stack height. Too scared commit to cut the steerer more. Have to save more pennies for di2 next year.

2018 Tarmac manual-elp_4482.jpg 2018 Tarmac manual-img_0002.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LehGin View Post
    I ended up just following a link I found in an old thread. Had I not found it I would not have known to do the California Cross.

2016 Tarmac Build Procedure/Cable Routing

Here are a few shots after it was finished. My brother got excited and took a nice picture before I could decide on a stem length and stack height. Too scared commit to cut the steerer more. Have to save more pennies for di2 next year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELP_4482.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	321392 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	321393
    Love the build and the colorway - looks great. Well done. No issues with leaving the steerer like that for a bit - ride it for a while and when you are totally comfortable, get out the hacksaw.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    When you buy the frame, all the instructions come with it.

They're in the box.

When you buy a counterfeit frame, you come here to ask questions.

We don't allow you to talk about your counterfeit products here. So...
    Wow,nice attitude there.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 01-02-2018 at 01:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014

Build complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Jester45 View Post
    Yes, this is exactly the situation - just picked up new frame last week and it seems that Specialized expects you to be a mind reader and work out exactly what everything is for. Lots of bits and pieces and not a single piece of (relevant) instruction(s) about the frameset and what to do with each inclusion. Pretty poor for a piece of carbon that is so expensive. You would not mind if there were online installation manuals (eg Shimano, SRAM etc) but have not been able to find anything at all.

My LBS has been great though, so worked most of it out. However, if I had not done one before, would have been struggling to do the build. Not the way you should have to go about it though.
    Instructions or not , finally build done and really happy with it. Even better to ride than I had expected - really significant improvement over my SL4 Tarmac which I have been riding. Still to sort out stem height but loving it out the road. SRAM eTap very impressive. All in all, worth the wait
    2018 Tarmac manual-img_4826.jpg2018 Tarmac manual-img_4824.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks great. I was thinking of getting one but decided to wait to see what they do with the venge next year first. If what they do with the venge doesn't check the necessary boxes (the vias didn't) the SL6 will very likely be my next frame. I miss the aero of my first gen venge and like the ride of my current SL5 and the SL6 seems like the best of both worlds.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Wow,nice attitude there. Prick.
    The bike magically changed colors. Wow.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Instructions or not , finally build done and really happy with it. Even better to ride than I had expected - really significant improvement over my SL4 Tarmac which I have been riding. Still to sort out stem height but loving it out the road. SRAM eTap very impressive. All in all, worth the wait

Name:	IMG_4826.JPG 
Views:	586 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	321495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4824.JPG 
Views:	550 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	321496
    That looks great! My team shop was pretty limited on colors/sizes available. They told me if I wanted the ultralight I would have to wait till the end of January. I actually asked for 303s like yours but they gave me an extra discount on a set of 404s that were sitting on the shelf. Kinda regretting the aerofly handlebars at the moment though. They aren't very comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013

Name:	IMG_4824.JPG 
Views:	550 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	321496
    Love that color scheme - and eTap. Great looking ride. I am jealous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What bikes changed colors? There are two posters each with their own build, OP with his non counterfeit frame being one of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Yes, it camouflages itself when you say something dumb. That way it is not seen with you.