Thread: 2019 Roubaix

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

2019 Roubaix

Does anyone have any info on what changes we can expect on Roubaix for 2019?

When was the last redesign/When is the next major redesign expected?
    Thx

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Roubaix was just updated recently, it probably will be another year before any major updates (2020 model year). They typically run a 3 year cycle for major updates. For road bikes the Venge is likely next on the list and then back to the roubaix. I don't believe the shiv has had an update in a while but that doesn't seem to follow the typical schedule for them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Changes? Paint and some component choices. I wouldn't expect anything else

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    any info on a potential 1x setup?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    • 2017 was a major redesign and Specialized typically follows 3-year design durations for their major road bike models. Therefore, I expect simply new paint options and minor component changes.
    • Shimano 105 7000 series is out, which means the 105 level bikes will be getting the same improvements that the Ultegra 8000 series saw last year:

• The $2,800 Roubaix Elite model will have significantly differently shaped brifter hoods, much more similar to the current Ultegra hydraulic hoods than the previous bulky and long 105 hydraulic hoods
      • 105 GS rear derailleurs with the new "Shadow" design, chiefly adding significant capacity to cassette size, with 11-34 officially supported and YouTubers running as large as 11-40 without anything more than a b-screw adjustment and a few links added to the chain.
      • The redesigned front derailleur on the 105 models will potentially increase rear tire clearance, with the lower profile FD.
      • The redesigned front derailleur on the 105 models now has a 2mm hex bolt to adjust cable tension, meaning you no longer have to use in-line barrel adjusters

• Possibility of 105 and Ultegra level models coming with 11-34 cassettes from the factory, now that Shimano offers a 105 34t cassette and an Ultegra 34t cassette. I doubt this will happen though, because this cassette is significantly more expensive than the 11-32 and Specialized likely feels that their inclusion of the Praxis 48/32 cranks are sufficiently low gearing. And the higher-end models with the 50/34 Shimano cranks are likely to target higher performance riders and thus an 11-34 would not appear to fit the target demographic.
    • If I understand correctly, the redesigned Tarmac has clearance for 30c tires in rim brake model, and I'm not clear for the disc brake model. I also hear that the current Roubaix can only fit about 30c or less. Specialized has made small tweaks to designs in the past before moving to a full redesign. There is a remote possible that they tweak the Roubaix to allow clearance for 32c tires.
    • Between 2017 and 2018, Specialized reduce the Tarmac's fork offset by 1mm, which increased trail for most sizes by 1mm, increasing from 55mm to 56mm of trail. The 2018 Roubaix is currently at 55mm of trail for most sizes and might see the same change take it to 56mm trail. This fork design tweak would also be an opportunity for them to expand the tire clearance.
    • The 2018 Paris-Roubaix bicycle race showed the Quick-Step Floors team had Specialized Roubaix bikes with a lock-out feature for the FutureShock, but I highly doubt this will be available to the general public. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bvmGBHqqW0&t=24
    • The FutureShock has been out for 2 full years now, there is a small possiblity that a small design tweak will be made to adjust the spring rate or the reliability.
    • 1x: I doubt it. The Tarmac was just redesigned and there are no 1x options. They offered it on the Allez Sprint model in a previous year, but have not continued that for the 2018 models.
    Last edited by Knee_Dragon; 3 Days Ago at 04:10 PM.