Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Any reviews of the new Allez?

The new model looks good, does it ride as good though?

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've seen some initial reviews online.

I'm curious where you found that picture, it isn't one of the color options that shows up on the specialized site for the US.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Been digging around a bit about this bike and found it from a site in UK. It is supposed to be the Red Hook edition, I believe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmm... might be one of those colors that are only available in certain places. I'll have to check the bike store to see if they have it on their dealer site. On the US consumer site it isn't available in that color though I was able to find it listed in the GB site.

It is based on the red hook edition of the allez sprint though that was all colored and not just parts like this version.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A couple of points. Doesn't it look hideous. They took a leaf out of Cannondale's book and made the frame scrawnier. Even the Allez from 2006 is better looking than this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horze View Post
    A couple of points. Doesn't it look hideous. They took a leaf out of Cannondale's book and made the frame scrawnier. Even the Allez from 2006 is better looking than this.
    No it looks elegant. Specialized dropped weight on the new Allez by almost a pound. Its a superior bike to the model it replaces. The Allez Sprint with its aero cues will still be offered. Racers and better riders preferring a more aggressive geometry will still opt for the Sprint which has more sculpting.

So it comes down to Twiggy or Katy Perry and personal preference. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na_jZC3a6PE

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    I was intrigued with the new Allez. Caliper brakes with 28mm clearance. Fenders. Some give in the seatpost area. New geometry. Never been a big fan of Specialized mainly for their past aggressive tactics in protecting their brand.

I got the new bike fever and went out test rode a Trek Domane ALR Disc(they didn't have the caliper brakes in aluminum), Trek Domane SL and the Allez. Looked for Cannondale Synapse alloy but couldn't find one and really not interested in disc anyway.

Domane ALR was ok ride. Little stiff. ISO didn't work on aluminum well. Domane SL was wonderful all around but way out of my price range at $3K.

Looked at Allez for frameset. I was going to strip the parts and swap my parts over. I had no expectations. I was surprised at how good it rode on chip/seal road and the handling was between CAAD10/12 and Domane. Good middle ground on handling.

The quality of the frame was great. If you get chance, go to bike shop to see it. Good stuff. I'll post photos later that I took with cell phone while out test riding.
    There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003

Photo

from phone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any reviews of the new Allez?-img_1019.jpg  

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003

Fork

The two tone fork looks better in person
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any reviews of the new Allez?-img_1020.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acckids View Post
    from phone
    Very nice, congrats! You're a tall one, eh?

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003

Few More photos showing quality

.... and I did not buy this bike. Going to stick with my current ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any reviews of the new Allez?-allezht.jpg   Any reviews of the new Allez?-allezst.jpg   Any reviews of the new Allez?-allezbr.jpg  

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    The photos I took above kinda of support of your view but it does look a lot nicer in person (at least I thought). The dropped seatstay doesn't look good from the side in the picture but works when viewing the entire bike.

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    I thought it rode well. Geometry was middle of the road. Good toe clearance. Good on rough chip/seal/broken pavement. Felt good when you got out of the saddle to stomp on the pedals.

I would run 28mm tires though. It came with 25mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thought it rode well. Geometry was middle of the road. Good toe clearance. Good on rough chip/seal/broken pavement. Felt good when you got out of the saddle to stomp on the pedals.

I would run 28mm tires though. It came with 25mm.
    If you didn't buy it, what is your current ride and how does it compare?
    The new Allez has identical stack and reach to the Roubaix for '18. The more racy Allez Sprint doesn't have the same monster head tube...and is shaped a bit more aero with more upright sta for crit racing.
    As to aesthetics, I saw the sticker in the pic and its a 61cm. Generally bikes that large don't flatter a given frame model. May I ask how tall are you?..presuming you are in the 6'3" to 6'6" range.
    Thanks for your review.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Took the plunge and bought it! Swapped everything on it except the frame, fork, headset and seat clamp.

Frame with BB and seat clamp weighted 1.6kg.

Fork (cut) around 325g.

Whole bike at 6.83kg.

Lemme know if you want the breakdown of the components.

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    Looks great. I was thinking the same thing as you. Buy the bike and strip the parts and put my groupset on it.

That looks racy but the geometry is real world.

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    If you didn't buy it, what is your current ride and how does it compare?
    The new Allez has identical stack and reach to the Roubaix for '18. The more racy Allez Sprint doesn't have the same monster head tube...and is shaped a bit more aero with more upright sta for crit racing.
    As to aesthetics, I saw the sticker in the pic and its a 61cm. Generally bikes that large don't flatter a given frame model. May I ask how tall are you?..presuming you are in the 6'3" to 6'6" range.
    Thanks for your review.
    I'm 6'3" but have long legs. I agree that larger sizes don't look as good as smaller ones because the black bike above looks great.

I ride a Lynskey R150. Very similar handling to the Allez. The ride quality of Lynskey on chip/seal roads is typical titanium/steel-like feel. Plus Ti doesn't have paint to chip which I like even though I miss a painted bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 6'3" but have long legs. I agree that larger sizes don't look as good as smaller ones because the black bike above looks great.

I ride a Lynskey R150. Very similar handling to the Allez. The ride quality of Lynskey on chip/seal roads is typical titanium/steel-like feel. Plus Ti doesn't have paint to chip which I like even though I miss a painted bike
    Will just share my personal view. Ti bikes don't hold a candle to modern Al bikes in overall performance. Reason is pretty simple. Material is subordinate to shape. Al and Carbon can be shaped much more asymmetrically than Ti and Steel and what holds both back. I prefer the overall power transfer, ride and handling of pretty much all new Al bikes to any Ti or steel bike. Some even prefer Al to carbon..say a CAAD12 over the Evo. My opinion.

Thanks again for sharing your impression. Basically what the new base level Allez is...not Allez Sprint with more crit oriented geometry with more upright sta and shorter aka more aggressive head tube length....is a pre 2017 Al Roubaix...pretty much the same bike in Al without Zertz. In the last 5 years, there has been a real convergence in Al and carbon...bikes very closely shaped...only difference being about 200g or so in weight....Al isn't as strong as carbon of course...lower yield strength, so more is required...also slight density difference.
    Last edited by 11spd; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:05 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A nice sporty build, but believe in your shoes because you have opted for...lets call it a medium race build with 3 inches of drop or so, I would have chosen the aero Allez Sprint which is available frameset only. I too could never ride the crappy base model Allez group or wheelset. You sized down whereas many will opt for more of a French fit with the Roubaix geometry new base level Allez as shown with the bigger bike above with handlebar closer to saddle height.

Very nice. No doubt you will love it.

PS: For those interested who may desire the racier version of the Allez...the Sprint, aptly named:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYV3uc5hKcA

Quote Originally Posted by ninetyRPM View Post
    Took the plunge and bought it! Swapped everything on it except the frame, fork, headset and seat clamp.

Fork (cut) around 325g.

Whole bike at 6.83kg.

Last edited by 11spd; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:50 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ninetyRPM View Post

Fork (cut) around 325g.

Whole bike at 6.83kg.

That's actually a really nice build and all around bike. Nice job man.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been a staunch user of alloy bike, much more so than your typical Joe. I was a late adopter of carbon. I was riding alloy frames mainstream only until just two to three years ago. Then when I did switch to carbon as a staple, I always found that for a two or three hour ride on an alloy frame (which was what my training normally consisted of) I would have to put considerably more training hours on a carbon bike in order to get the same level of workout. A comparative training ride on a carbon bike always left me feeling less tired than what my usual rides consisted of. I would feel that riding carbon defeated the purpose of training and still have some difficulty understanding the point of it all. That is until I rediscovered a new paradigm in cycling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    That's actually a really nice build and all around bike. Nice job man.
    This is the first bike in this model which I actually like. Clean looks and arguably better looking than the new Tarmac as well.
    I would like to get one but my problem these days is that I'm too lazy to keep the drive train clean. Road bikes demand a massive effort in keeping the chain and cassette clean. If you don't do this mandatory exercise then this defeats the purpose of having a road bike. My other problem is that by the time I clean the drive train I am already too tired to go out on a ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is the first bike in this model which I actually like. Clean looks and arguably better looking than the new Tarmac as well.
    I would like to get one but my problem these days is that I'm too lazy to keep the drive train clean. Road bikes demand a massive effort in keeping the chain and cassette clean. If you don't do this mandatory exercise then this defeats the purpose of having a road bike. My other problem is that by the time I clean the drive train I am already too tired to go out on a ride.
    A real issue. Because I am rich, I simply have my butler Jeeves clean the bike and chain, keep the derailleurs adjusted and tires at the pressure I like.
    If you haven't done as well as I have in life, I believe you are out of luck. Maybe a push scooter?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been a staunch user of alloy bike, much more so than your typical Joe. I was a late adopter of carbon. I was riding alloy frames mainstream only until just two to three years ago. Then when I did switch to carbon as a staple, I always found that for a two or three hour ride on an alloy frame (which was what my training normally consisted of) I would have to put considerably more training hours on a carbon bike in order to get the same level of workout. A comparative training ride on a carbon bike always left me feeling less tired than what my usual rides consisted of. I would feel that riding carbon defeated the purpose of training and still have some difficulty understanding the point of it all. That is until I rediscovered a new paradigm in cycling.
    A brilliant revelation. I suggest you train with a power meter and ride to a given power target. Has nothing to do with what material a bicycle is made from. You may even know that and even that birds fly.

RoadBikeReview Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast