Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Anyone have a Romin saddle yet?

110K views 295 replies 89 participants last post by  AvantDale 
#1 ·
I was thinking to getting one of these. Anyone have any experience on one yet?

#2 ·
My co-worker rode a 155 mm Romin (not yet in production... he rode it at Specialized's HQ)
and loved it. We have sold some, but have no feedback from customers yet.

#3 ·
I'm curious too... eyed it at the LBS the other week. Couple things I noticed, as compared to the Toupe, it has a much wider nose and it isn't as flat, drops off a little more on the edges.. sort of rounder seat section. I'm curious to try it. I've had pretty good results with the Toupe, but it does tend to chafe a little at the edges of the seat.

#7 ·
Sit-n-spin said:
I was going to buy one and the guy at the lbs said they are great when your in the drops but awful if you ride on the hoods or top of the bars. I chose not to buy it.
I wonder if the guy at the shop actually tried the saddle. The marketing material states that the saddle is designed for more comfort when riding in the drops, but that doesn't mean they compromised riding on the hoods. Not calling him a liar, it just sounds a little suspicious. Did you ask him why?

#10 ·
Romin test ride results

Bad weather here in France but I have about 200 miles on the new Romin saddle since Christmas. It's nice and comfy and lightweight at 201 grams, as weighed by myself.

I don't get the "it's a saddle for the drops" idea. Sounds, again, like pure hogwash. The Romin has a similar contour to the Fizik Aliante which was never hyped as a in-the-drops saddle. The Romin is comfortable and minimalist, with nice shape and style which definitely compliments a Specialized steed if you have one.

As for the LBS guru who declared the saddle expensive and uncomfortable...may I remind you that those are both subjective notions. I paid 79 euros here in France and it's comfy for my butt. End of discussion on this topic for me.

#16 ·
DAVESAX36 said:
I was about to get a 155 Romin tonight, but it says out of stock on specialized's website. Anybody know if they are in stock in show rooms but out of stock at the factory website? My toupe shell cracked and I gotta replace this seat soon.
That could very well be a warranty issue. Before replacing it consider having your LBS contact Specialized.

#18 ·
thanks for the fast replies, guys. The guy at the shop suggested I contact specialized as well. I'll shoot them an email and probably send them the seat in hopes of getting one in return. I bit the bullet and bought an 08 model when I went to the shop saturday afternoon. If I get one as a warranty replacement, I'll never run out of seats...

#19 ·
I've got a couple rides on mine now. I really like it!

It seems to cradle my sit bones more than the Toupe I've grown accustomed to over the last couple years. That always made me feel like I was sitting on a shelf in a good way. Great support for the bones and no soft tissue pressure. The Romin is still very supportive but I don't feel that pressure on the sit bones.

Two thumbs up for me after 3 rides! I'll report back if that changes!

Cheers!

#21 ·
I have a Romin SL that I'm still testing. I find it quite comfortable. It pretty much disappears.

The only issue I am having with it deals with the width at the nose. My thighs rub on the nose to the point where I had a blister after a ~2 hr ride. Maybe the skin will toughen up and things will be fine. I hope I can get around it because it is a comfy saddle for the right bum.

I'm coming from a Fizik Arione.

#22 ·
I am currently riding a Koobi Xenon; haven't quite made up my mind on this one yet. Previously I was using a Spec. Toupe. I really like the design of the Toupe for keeping pressure off where it doesn't belong. My problem with the Toupe is that my sit bones felt like they were grinding into the shell of the saddle. This is why I tried the Koobi which has more padding (but very firm). In terms of padding, how does the Romin compare (more, less, same)? Does the turned up rear of the saddle provide any additional support over the flat Toupe? Do you feel less pressure directly on sit bones? I am thinking of trying the Romin, but wonder if I will ever find the right saddle. :cryin: TIA.

Bob

#72 ·
.... Previously I was using a Spec. Toupe. I really like the design of the Toupe for keeping pressure off where it doesn't belong. My problem with the Toupe is that my sit bones felt like they were grinding into the shell of the saddle. This is why I tried the Koobi which has more padding (but very firm). In terms of padding, how does the Romin compare (more, less, same)? Does the turned up rear of the saddle provide any additional support over the flat Toupe? Do you feel less pressure directly on sit bones? I am thinking of trying the Romin, but wonder if I will ever find the right saddle. :cryin: TIA.

Bob
I had same experience with the Toupe, not good.

#23 ·
Bob,
Definitely give the Romin a try. I felt the same way on the Toupe. Great for relieving pressure where it shouldn't be but the sit bones get rubbed a little raw.

I have found the Romin to spread out that pressure yet still keep it off the blood vessels and nerves. Very comfy.

If you ride a 143 Toupe you may like the 143 Romin but also try the larger 155.

Cheers!

#24 ·
pvdvelde said:
Please make sure you are properly fitted to the saddle and you are using the correct size saddle.

This saddle is comfortable on the hoods and the drops, but the fit is key especially with this saddle shape.

Thanks!

Piet vand er Velde
Is there some fitting for it other than the "assometer" that you sit on at the Specialized dealer to determine correct saddle width?

#25 ·
You can measure your own sit bones. Take a string, squat and/or lay on your back with your legs over your head, feel for your sit bones, stretch the string from one sit bone to the other sit bone (measuring the outer edge of each). Take that measured distance and that is the saddle width you need. There really isn't any magic to the whole thing.

#26 ·
Romin vs. Toupe impressions

I've been using a previous-generation Toupe for a few weeks, popped a Romin on last night and rode a hilly (>9k' vert.) near-century on it, today, including some bad chip-seal. I really like the kick to the tail, which gives you something to push against while climbing (like the Aliante, or old Concor). It feels like I have to actively hold myself in place on the Toupe, especially with the slippery cover. On my previous long ride on the Toupe, I had some numbness after about 60 miles, and felt a bit bruised under the sit bones, neither of which were a problem on the Romin. The Romin padding is slightly thicker and firmer, so I don't tend to bottom out on the shell (I'm a relatively lean 195 lb). Lighter riders may find the shell a bit firm, but it worked well for me. The slightly more rounded edges to the forward half of the saddle are appreciated, but if I was going to change one thing, I'd make the nose a bit narrower. I'm not that crazy about the graphics; an all-black option, or some other color combinations would be nice (the red/white "Test" saddle looks better than the retail saddles, IMO). I intend to pick up my own Romin SL, tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.