RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Better race rocket

I just got a sponsorship deal with the local shop in which we will get bikes at cost to race with. The 2 bikes that are around my price range and that I want are either the E5 s-works aluminum or the Tarmac Pro. I know the E5 is a proven race rocket but would I be better off to go with the Tarmac Pro? If I got the Tarmac, I would sell the K Elites and buy SL's or another wheelset that's a bit lighter. I will be doing crits and road races. I know the Tarmac would probably be a bit more comfy but I am more concerned with responsiveness. Anyone know the weight difference between the 2 bikes stock? I am just torn..I know the E5 is proven, but I love the looks of the Tarmac and think I probably couldn't go wrong with it either. Oh yeah, the Tarac is about $200 less than the E5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    careful about lusting over the specialized website...

I just got a new bike, but went through plenty of drama playing the 'what's available' game with Specialized.

Tarmacs are not yet available, other than the sworks version, and even those are only available in really small numbers. Really small. It'll be a few months atleast before most preorders are met. Good luck.

Second, is an issue with sworks bikes. For the 2005 season, specialized has decided that sworks bikes will only be sold through qualified sworks dealers. In order to qualify, the dealership must prepurchase (preseason order) six complete sworks bicycles. Unless the dealership purchases the minimum of six upfront, that shop is not qualified to buy a single sworks bicycle (other than '04 models) from specialized.

Make sure that your shop is a qualified sworks dealer. There aren't any 'qualified' in my state. Only one in border states. Meaning, that even though the sworks E5 is in stock in my color/size, I couldn't get it. That's a shame, because it's a sweet deal on a crit bike.

If that's the case for you, then the roubaix becomes your next best option. Why? Because it's available and your dealer can get it. I know, I know, I poopooed it too at first, but it holds its own against my past race bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    e5 is an AMAZING crit bike, the tarmac is very good too.

By the way I think its 3 S-Works bikes that the dealership has to buy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    recently when trying to order a sworks e5 for myself, i was quoted six by our rep.

there are also other conditions that must be met.

anyway, my point was, you need to make sure that your dealer is capable of getting sworks bikes first, before you make up your mind on one.