RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Talking which bg gloves?

Liking the looks of the specialized gloves. Im getting more numbness in the left hand vs the right, do about 3-5 20 to 30 mile rides a week and im looking to purchase some gloves.

What has worked for you?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by jermsmith; 08-25-2011 at 06:02 PM.

carpe omnes
    Quote Originally Posted by jermsmith View Post
    Liking the looks of the specialized gloves. Im getting more numbness in the left hand vs the right, do about 3-5 20 to 30 mile rides a week and im looking to purchase some gloves.

What has worked for you?

Thanks in advance
    IMO the Specialized line of gloves are overpriced and are constructed poorly. If you were considering something like the BG Pros, I'd recommend you check out Giro Monacos. They're msrp is about the same, but the quality is much better.

Giro Monaco gloves for cyclists
    "let them hate, so long as they fear"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lactic acidosis View Post
    IMO the Specialized line of gloves are overpriced and are constructed poorly. If you were considering something like the BG Pros, I'd recommend you check out Giro Monacos. They're msrp is about the same, but the quality is much better.

Giro Monaco gloves for cyclists
    How are Specialized gloves "constructed poorly"? Just curious to know what happen to your gloves? if something did happen was your specialized dealer able to help you out?

RoadBikeReview Member
    While in my experience Specialized clothing has been hit or miss, the gloves have always been great. Unlike gloves from other companies (Castelli, Capo), which last a couple of washes/months before falling apart, my Specialized gloves last several seasons. They seem well constructed to me. I'd highly recommend them. Just buy whichever you like. I prefer the ones with the least amount of padding.

As for Giro gloves, I do have a pair of their cold weather ones. They are pretty nice too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    I actually prefer the XC Lite Glove because of it's unpadded palm. I just wish Specialized had a road bike version (fingerless). I guess I could buy a 2nd pair and snip off the fingers.

I have a pair of the BG Pro Glove and I find my right hand starts to go numb after a couple of hours. Not so with the XC Lite Glove.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

carpe omnes
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1981 View Post
    How are Specialized gloves "constructed poorly"? Just curious to know what happen to your gloves? if something did happen was your specialized dealer able to help you out?
    Maybe i've just had bad luck with the batches that I've purchased. I usually consider gloves, like chains, as disposable parts. That being said, I've always hand washed my gloves taking care to wash gently and line dry to stretch out their life. The last BG pros I had were stitched poorly and the mesh on the back side of the palm was too fragile. I purchased them at the beginning of a season and by the end they were barely useable. I didn't bother bringing them to a dealer because I opted to test out the Giro's and haven't looked back.
    "let them hate, so long as they fear"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I have a pair of $40. Pro maybe? They pull on, no velcro. They leave my palm black. Even after about 10 washes. You can get them wet and wring out the black. I think it comes from the pad in the heel of the hand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    my specilized gel gloves rubbed off on my white bar tape bummer

Not a climber
    I have the BG comp gloves I think. Velcro on the back. They fit great and have held up wonderful over the last 1200 miles or so.