Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    banned
    Nov 2011

Converting to Di2 for Specialized owners?

I am considering swapping out my Campy 10s driveline for new Ultegra Di2 6870 11s. Has anybody done this on their previously mechanical groupset Specialized bike? I am wondering if Specialized sells a grommet kit for our bikes?...which entails the right grommets for wires versus larger diameter cables for the various ports? I have a '12 Roubaix SL3 with internal cable routing which is ported for internal Di2 harness routing. Please let me know if Specialized sells a dedicated Di2 mounting kit...perhaps including the junction under the BB if different than what comes with the Di2 groupset.
    Thanks for any shared experience.

RoadBikeReview Member

Converting to Di2 for Specialized owners?

I swapped to Di2 on my 2013 Venge. My nearest concept store informed me that the frame would have been supplied with a bag of spare grommets.

When I said I no longer had this they admitted that it was rare that frame buyers kept them and they had loads spare. Swapped them for me FOC.

As for mounting my LBS made me a bracket. One screw fixed it where mechanical wire guide used to be screwed. Other screw shrouded in rubber tube made contact fit with old rear derailleur hole. Worked a treat.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by izza View Post
    I swapped to Di2 on my 2013 Venge. My nearest concept store informed me that the frame would have been supplied with a bag of spare grommets.

When I said I no longer had this they admitted that it was rare that frame buyers kept them and they had loads spare. Swapped them for me FOC.

As for mounting my LBS made me a bracket. One screw fixed it where mechanical wire guide used to be screwed. Other screw shrouded in rubber tube made contact fit with old rear derailleur hole. Worked a treat.
    What exactly is a concept store? Never heard of such a term.
    Can you explain why your LBS had to fabricate a special bracket? Shouldn't all Di2 brackets be available off the shelf?
    Do you have any pictures or reference of pictures?
    Did you mount your battery internally in the seat tube?

Thanks for your comments.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Roadworthy use the seat tube battery. It is much cleaner on the install and you then charge the battery from the junction box under the stem. My wife's Amira has the battery under the BB which is fine and works good also. I can snap some pics if you need to see anything!

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb21 View Post
    Roadworthy use the seat tube battery. It is much cleaner on the install and you then charge the battery from the junction box under the stem. My wife's Amira has the battery under the BB which is fine and works good also. I can snap some pics if you need to see anything!
    Thanks Brian. Yes, leaning toward the seat tube install. I have a FSA K force Light 2 bolt seatpost which I love and I notice now that FSA makes the exact seatpost however with integrated Di2 hardware to use a circlip to keep the battery in place...so may opt for that.

I tell you what would help me quite a bit if you are willing to snap some pics. There would be four ports of interest if go with the seatpost battery which I likely will.
    1. Back of chainstay to connect to the rear derailleur.
    2. Front Derailleur port
    3. Downtube ports....one side needs a blank.
    4. Under the BB where the harness is routed. Any bracket to keep the harness tucked in?

As discussed I have the SL3 Roubaix. Downtube ports were tweaked a bit on the new SL4 and no longer any small allen screws holding the cateye shaped port covers...Specialized revised this to a round port for the SL4. Please see below...looks like a Shimano supplied Di2 grommet is plugged into the SL3 downtube factory port cover. Not sure if this is the cleanest preferred grommet config for the SL3 or not.:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting to Di2 for Specialized owners?-di2-downtube-port-sworks.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will get that done today hopefully! That is easy to do, i converted my wife's amira and the tech had what he need and it looks good and works flawless!

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb21 View Post
    I will get that done today hopefully! That is easy to do, i converted my wife's amira and the tech had what he need and it looks good and works flawless!
    Thanks so much Brian. I look forward to seeing what grommets you used in the different positions. This should help others considering Di2 as well.
    Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I've done a 2013 S-works Tarmac and 2012 S-Works Venge that were conversions and a 2014 Roubaix Sl4 that was a straight up 9070 install.
    Tried to get dealer to cough up bag of grommets for the two that were conversions, but no luck... but many dealers I'm sure would if they had them laying around.
    I did pick up some generic grommets at Home Depot in various sizes that did most or all of the openings. Not ideal but pretty good.
    There is a small plastic bottom bracket fitting that is really as much to cover the hole there, which is no longer of any use, as it is for anything else, though there is space to get a wire through for mounting your battery McLaren-style under the BB.
    This came with the Roubaix, I saw it and liked it for use as simply a cover (all three batteries are internal) and so I had my dealer order one for the Tarmac, I think it was about $15. Excessive, but you dont want that hole down there scooping up road grime. And even with that, had to cut a tiny piece of hard black foam to close up a remaining slit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadworthy View Post
    What exactly is a concept store? Never heard of such a term.
    Can you explain why your LBS had to fabricate a special bracket? Shouldn't all Di2 brackets be available off the shelf?
    Do you have any pictures or reference of pictures?
    Did you mount your battery internally in the seat tube?

Specialized Concept Stores are UK Specialized shops (Specialized Concept Store ? Specialized Bikes)
    The bracket was for me to have the battery on my BB/chainstay without the need for cable ties.
    No close ups I am afraid.
    Internal batteries not available when I did the conversion plus my bike shed has no power points to plug into so not an option for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What exactly is a concept store?
    You are kidding right?

https://www.google.com/search?q=spec...w=1720&bih=910
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by izza View Post
    Specialized Concept Stores are UK Specialized shops
    FWIW, Specialized Concept Stores are World wide.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    My SW Venge has Ui2 with the battery installed under the BB. Frame came with the grommets and the Di2 kit came with all the necessaries. Its pretty straight forward, and easy. Just make sure to measure the e-tube lengths correctly and you're golden. I can forward the pdf's if you need them.

Converting to Di2 for Specialized owners?-venge_smbtr2_installation.jpg
    carbonLORD.com

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper8888 View Post
    I've done a 2013 S-works Tarmac and 2012 S-Works Venge that were conversions and a 2014 Roubaix Sl4 that was a straight up 9070 install.
    Tried to get dealer to cough up bag of grommets for the two that were conversions, but no luck... but many dealers I'm sure would if they had them laying around.
    I did pick up some generic grommets at Home Depot in various sizes that did most or all of the openings. Not ideal but pretty good.
    There is a small plastic bottom bracket fitting that is really as much to cover the hole there, which is no longer of any use, as it is for anything else, though there is space to get a wire through for mounting your battery McLaren-style under the BB.
    This came with the Roubaix, I saw it and liked it for use as simply a cover (all three batteries are internal) and so I had my dealer order one for the Tarmac, I think it was about $15. Excessive, but you dont want that hole down there scooping up road grime. And even with that, had to cut a tiny piece of hard black foam to close up a remaining slit.
    Thanks. Maybe we can both benefit from this thread if others post their grommet solutions. Shimano sells their grommets which fill a 6mm hole diameter. These maybe applicable to our bikes.
    I wish Specialized had a Di2 grommet package with an associated part number we could order that would cover a myriad of different installation options.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    My SW Venge has Ui2 with the battery installed under the BB. Frame came with the grommets and the Di2 kit came with all the necessaries. Its pretty straight forward, and easy. Just make sure to measure the e-tube lengths correctly and you're golden. I can forward the pdf's if you need them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venge_SMBTR2_Installation.jpg 
Views:	9602 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	292230
    Thanks CL...will dig around on the web for that PDF.
    About the Specialized Concept Store which I have never seen in the US...at least in the cities I have been...including my current city. Are these stores owned and operated by Specialized or...are they local bike shops that are dedicated Specialized dealers?
    Thanks again
    PS: a question about E-tube lengths? Does Di2 come in different E-tube lengths? I presume the harness can not be hacked...or shouldn't be shortened or lengthened. If available in different lengths, do you know how many different sizes are available?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wish Specialized had a Di2 grommet package with an associated part number we could order that would cover a myriad of different installation options.
    They do.

Part# S132000002

CBS MY13 ROUBAIX / VENGE SW-PRO CABLE STOP KIT FOR SHIMANO DI2

Converting to Di2 for Specialized owners?-grommets.jpg
    carbonLORD.com

banned
    Nov 2011
    They do.

Part# S132000002

CBS MY13 ROUBAIX / VENGE SW-PRO CABLE STOP KIT FOR SHIMANO DI2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grommets.jpg 
Views:	11741 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	292231
    You rock man. Thanks so much for providing this great bit of information. Will help me and others considering this installation. The kit you show is applicable to SL3 bikes like my Roubaix which have the oval ports with set screws.
    Thanks again!
    PS: Now the picture I posted above makes more sense. It is comprised of the two bottom parts to go over the downtube port for the single E-tube running to the shifters...other being blanked out by the other part you show. I didn't understand that until now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are these stores owned and operated by Specialized or...are they local bike shops that are dedicated Specialized dealers?
    Thanks again
    PS: a question about E-tube lengths? Does Di2 come in different E-tube lengths? I presume the harness can not be hacked...or shouldn't be shortened or lengthened. If available in different lengths, do you know how many different sizes are available?
    The SCS are independently owned but Specialized assists with the build out and POP display. There are two versions in the business model but both allow owners to stock with non competing inventory should they choose. They only require that 60% of the store be dedicated to Specialized products.

The e-tubes themselves come in various lengths depending on frame size etc. I believe there are a dozen or so lengths. I also have the Shimano reference guides outlining the process of measuring and setting it up if you need them, but I'm pretty sure they are all documented online if you Google around.
    Last edited by carbonLORD; 02-17-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    carbonLORD.com

banned
    Nov 2011
    The SCS are independently owned but Specialized assists with the build out and POP display. There are two versions in the business model biut both allow owners to stock with non competing inventory should they choose. They only require that 60% of the store be dedicated to Specialized products.

The e-tubes themselves come in various lengths depending on frame size etc. I believe there are a dozen or so lengths. I also have the Shimano reference guides outlining the process of measuring and setting it up if you need them, but I'm pretty sure they are all documented online if you Google around.
    You've been a great help. Thanks a lot.
    PS: my local Specialized dealer doesn't have any 11s Di2 bikes in stock...just a couple older 10s. They are nice people just not much help. Their claim is the demographic just isn't there...at least for their clientele.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No problem. Specialized has 23 sets left in their warehouse. They do not show an MSRP however.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was going to PM you but your inbox is full and you can't receive any more messages. Feel free to contact me at carbonLORD(at)carbonLORD(dot)com if you need any reference materials. Cheers!
    carbonLORD.com

banned
    Nov 2011
    I was going to PM you but your inbox is full and you can't receive any more messages. Feel free to contact me at carbonLORD(at)carbonLORD(dot)com if you need any reference materials. Cheers!
    Hey brother, thanks and sorry about that. Just emptied my in box. I am the guy who usually helps members with their tech issues. I appreciate you helping me. If you have another chance to send info along, please do so as time permits.
    Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great info for the do it your self person!

banned
    Nov 2011

Seatpost Battery Mount trick...

As discussed, an internal seatpost battery is not only simple but really unclutters the bike with Di2..
    Here is a video showing how to convert a non-Shimano specific battery seatpost without having a snap ring hold the battery in place.

With enough compression, I agree the battery will not vibrate loose and fall down inside the seat tube. A seat post designed for a battery with snap ring insert is more secure of course but this looks to be a viable option. You can tune the preload of the battery OD to seat post ID based upon thickness of foam you use....a good option:
    Shimano Di2 internal seatpost battery trick - YouTube

And here is Shimano's 11s battery installation in a conventional seat post...presuming 27.2mm O.D. A barbed housing holds the battery in place with a circlip. Of course this approach is a bit more invasive. Easy to remove the battery of course by removing the snap ring (circlip) but to extract the barbed battery housing from the seat post, maybe problematic as compared to less secure approach above.
    How To Fit The New Ultegra 11 Speed Di2 Battery Into A Seatpost - YouTube
    Last edited by roadworthy; 02-17-2014 at 04:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I installed mine using basically the first method, but used some bar tape around the battery and twisted it into the post. Mine is a lot tighter fit than the one in the video but if you twist it in the right direction it still moves. Twisting in the opposite direction tightens the fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As much as I like the seat post approach, there are two things I am not yet sold on. The first is the clumsy new junction box that you have to mount under the stem. Now, I use a Garmin 800 and have a wonderful Tillquist mount...Converting to Di2 for Specialized owners?-tillquist_enve_carbonlord.jpg
    Converting to Di2 for Specialized owners?-tillquist.jpg
    ... So it wouldn't be hard to mount it under the Garmin mount like this...
    Converting to Di2 for Specialized owners?-tillquist_junction.jpg
    ...using a little 3M double sided tape but the Venge already has an option for under the BB battery mounting which I like for the convenience of my second reason.
    I have 2 batteries and can hot swap them, meaning no waiting for my bike to be charged and, no finding an outlet where I need to prop my bike up and wait. I also like the idea of bringing along a spare battery for longer events where I do multiple days out and camp (ie: the old AIDS rides that were 5+ day events at 500+ miles) since the battery weighs less then an innertube and can easily be carried in a jersey pocket.

Truth be told I have never had a situation where the battery died as the indicators do what they say, the battery holds a charge for a very long time before it indicates red, but these reasons are enough for me to leave it be. If I wanted to switch up to the internal battery it would only be a matter of a new junction box, port, possibly an e-tube wire to extend from the BB to the seat tube, and the battery plus the special clips Specialized has available for the Venge, plus the charger so were then looking at another $250+ for something that might otherwise limit my set up.

If you are starting from an 11 speed system, it is a no brainer, get the seat battery but if you have 10 speed and a bike that allows for use of the BB underside mount, save a little and enjoy the convenience of multiple batteries if needed.

Can you see the battery on my Venge?

carbonLORD.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast