RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007

Crosstrail sizing

Hi, I bought an 08 Crosstrail Expert this past weekend. Nice bike for the price. Does anyone else have a Crosstrail, and did you have to buy a frame way smaller than other bikes due to the tall standover height? I bought a 52cm, but I don't have a lot of room between my crotch and the top tube. The dealer said they would get me in a 49cm to try, but I think the reach would be entirely too short. Most of my riding will be on the road, pulling my kids in a trailer.
    Any insight?

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by philoanna
    Hi, I bought an 08 Crosstrail Expert this past weekend. Nice bike for the price. Does anyone else have a Crosstrail, and did you have to buy a frame way smaller than other bikes due to the tall standover height? I bought a 52cm, but I don't have a lot of room between my crotch and the top tube. The dealer said they would get me in a 49cm to try, but I think the reach would be entirely too short. Most of my riding will be on the road, pulling my kids in a trailer.
    Any insight?
    Try the 49. It may be just right. You can also get a longer/higher stem if you need it.

How close is the fit now? I mean in an emergency stop are the boys in danger?
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, the boys are quite close. I just got off the phone with the shop and they are ordering me a 49cm. That bike with the longer stem will probablby do the trick.
    Thanks for replying.

Cat 6 rider
    I was just reading, and it must have been here, that the irony of the non-sloping top tube bike is that a lot people end up on undersized bikes because the head tube is too low and top tube too short, so their bars end up the height of pro racers and they can't ride as long- back and neck pain that is no fun if you're not getting paid. With quill stems you could raise the bars with the twist of a nut, but now it's a little trickier and you have to find that 'just right' stem.
    To the troll mobile, away...