Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Delrin Cup problem with S-Works Crankset

I have an SL4 Sworks with 2 Sworks cranksets - compact and standard.

Recently I noticed some slight play in the compact crankset, so my Specialized centre added some fine plastic washers that eliminated the play.

But today I noticed that the play is back, so I took out the crankset to find that the drive side Delrin cup is very loose, so much so that it comes out with the crank and goes in and out of the BB shell very easily.

The non-drive side is firmly installed. The bearings are tightly installed in each and seem OK. (Ceramic)

So I think the play is coming not from a lack of side washers, but from the cup itself. And yet, the cup is a non-wear part - it should not wear out.

Any ideas? Should I get a new cup and hope it fits in tighter? Or is my frame's BB shell out of spec? New frame please?!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Searching online, I found this;

http://service.specialized.com/asc/C...B0433_revA.pdf

Seems Specialized have owned up to a bit of a mistake, and are now saying to glue the Delrin cups in with epoxy. So I'll be asking my dealer for a new cup, and the special glue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Question is, will you ever be able to get those Delrin cups back out?!!

Not a climber
    You should read through the very long threads in this section about the S-works cranks and bottom bracket.

Yes, Spesh says somehow even when you epoxy the cups into the frame, you will still be able to knock them back out. Not sure how that works, but I'd rather not try it.

Google or search on here for C-bear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks.
    I did read through that long post 'Horrendous noise from BB' or whatever, and it's very useful.
    I have 2 sets of Sworks cranks now so I need to stick with that, for better or for worse.
    I have never had any noises from my cranksets, just a little play.
    I hope Spesh sort this out properly for me as if you're paying $2500 for a frame, and $500 the crankset you kind of expect it work.
    My fear is that even a new Delrin cup may be quite loose in my BB.
    Then what? Lots of glue and hope for the best? Or should I be demanding a new frame?

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    My BB is nice and quiet and the cups are tight, thank Dog. I was having some play issues, but removed the three bolt adjuster and went back to the wave washer, plus a few additional spacers. All is quiet.

But just reading the bulletin and that dumbass video really steams my clams.

ENOUGH of this nonsense with new workarounds and glue and loctite and epoxy, on and on.

GO BACK TO THREADED BBs ALREADY.

And not for nothing, Spesh...if you are going to say that all bikes should have this procedure done, then do a formal recall. Its YOUR flawed design.....YOU pay for parts and labor the fix.
    Last edited by RkFast; 10-17-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Not a climber
    Quote Originally Posted by RkFast View Post
    And not for nothing, Spesh...if you are going to say that all bikes should have this procedure done, then do a formal recall. Its YOUR flawed design.....YOU pay for parts and labor the fix.
    I agree with your comments and agree that they should do way more to fix this problem besides little tech bulletins to the shops (aluminum cups).

That being said, my LBS has rebuilt my BB at least 3 times and even replaced the ceramic bearings once and I haven't paid a dime. I bought the bike there and it's an inherent problem with the bike, so no reason they shouldn't do it for free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    What worries me is that I am clearly the 1st SL4 (or Venge) owner to contact this Specialized centre which covers all of NW France - many owners will simply ride around unaware that they have play in their BB, which will get worse with time.

Surely Specialized should contact them, not wait for them to notice?

I paid alot of $$$ extra to get a top end frame - I could have bought Canyon, Giant, Planet X, etc. alot cheaper and pretty similar spec. I chose to pay more for the reassurance of top design and quality control.

And yet, I feel that Specialized has really dropped the ball on this one and is not taking it seriously enough. Of course they should rebuild your BB and replace parts for free; if it isn't working right that is the least they could do.

My SPesh dealer is 250km away, so a 500km round trip. This is seriously inconvenient for me. They are sending me new Delrin cups and a packet of glue. I can only hope it works well.

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bernithebiker View Post
    What worries me is that I am clearly the 1st SL4 (or Venge) owner to contact this Specialized centre which covers all of NW France - many owners will simply ride around unaware that they have play in their BB, which will get worse with time.

Surely Specialized should contact them, not wait for them to notice?

I paid alot of $$$ extra to get a top end frame - I could have bought Canyon, Giant, Planet X, etc. alot cheaper and pretty similar spec. I chose to pay more for the reassurance of top design and quality control.

And yet, I feel that Specialized has really dropped the ball on this one and is not taking it seriously enough. Of course they should rebuild your BB and replace parts for free; if it isn't working right that is the least they could do.

My SPesh dealer is 250km away, so a 500km round trip. This is seriously inconvenient for me. They are sending me new Delrin cups and a packet of glue. I can only hope it works well.
    Im not thrille with having to do this, either. Like I said mine is good, but Ill probably go for the fix over the winter.

With that said, I wouldnt worry TOO much. Ive seen manufacturers use similar fixes for other issues with bonding carbon frame to bearing races. My friend had an Ibis MTB, which is a REALLY nice frame and the top integrated bearing race worked loose and the fix the reccomended.....epoxy. And it worked well on a part that takes a hell of a pounding, too.

Sep 2007
    I suspect this is the fix that's been used on the Pro Tour. But one difference is that they get to replace their frames every year ... I agree that Specialized need to step up and take care of this.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I have a 2011 Tarmac SL3 with Ultegra 53/39 crank. I want to switch out to a compact gear set and was checking into pricing at my LBS. He had an S-works carbon mid compact crank (new take off from a buyer going campy) and offered it up pretty cheap saying it's the greatest crank ever. Said it would fit my SL3 frame with some adapters which I assume are these delron cups people are having trouble with. Being new to the cycling scene he captured my interest till I started reading about all these problems.
    I really like the weight reduction and claimed crank performance but am concerned I'll have issues. Are these really isolated incidents or a typical problem?
    Is this crank set up worth it or should I just go with another Ultegra crank with the compact 50/34gearing?
    Thanx for your input.

Not a climber
    It's a popular issue, but doesn't have anything to do with the crank itself. It's the plastic cups that the crank bearings fit into.

If you buy the S-works crank, get the C-bear aluminum BB cups and bearings. My LBS is becoming a dealer and the manager at the shop is now running them on his SL4 Sworks Tarmac. I'll be putting the bb in my new SL4.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    It's a popular issue, but doesn't have anything to do with the crank itself. It's the plastic cups that the crank bearings fit into.

If you buy the S-works crank, get the C-bear aluminum BB cups and bearings. My LBS is becoming a dealer and the manager at the shop is now running them on his SL4 Sworks Tarmac. I'll be putting the bb in my new SL4.
    While it doesn't have anything to do with the cranks, suggesting a C-bear alloy sleeve for Sprinter's Tarmac SL3 is ill advised. The C-bear sleeve is only relevant to Sworks bikes. The Tarmac SL3 is BB30 and not Spesh's version of narrow PF30 which use delrin bearings.
    Sprinter...a Spesh crank is plug and play on your SL3 Tarmac...no delrin bushings...just basic BB30. On only a personal level...I am not a fan of the Spesh cranks. I don't like a removable spider. YMMV however and you may like one just fine.

Not a climber
    Quote Originally Posted by roadworthy View Post
    While it doesn't have anything to do with the cranks, suggesting a C-bear alloy sleeve for Sprinter's Tarmac SL3 is ill advised. The C-bear sleeve is only relevant to Sworks bikes. The Tarmac SL3 is BB30 and not Spesh's version of narrow PF30 which use delrin bearings.
    Sprinter...a Spesh crank is plug and play on your SL3 Tarmac...no delrin bushings...just basic BB30. On only a personal level...I am not a fan of the Spesh cranks. I don't like a removable spider. YMMV however and you may like one just fine.
    He didn't specify S-works or not. And since he posted in the 'Delrin cup problem' thread, I'll just assume he's got the frame that uses the delrin cups.

C-bear does have a spesh specific BB30 bearing setup as well...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Hmmm. Pardon my ignorance on this subject but I thought my SL3 frame was the same as the SL3 S-works frame, at least that's what some guy with an S-works SL3 told me. I'm all new to learning the intricasies of these bikes but the LBS guy said I currently have these external threaded BB and I could run the S-works carbon crank by pressing in some adapters or whatever and then the different bearings. He had to check with his tech/mech but then confirmed my 2011 SL3 would accept this crank with this BB change.

Is he mistaken?

Here,s my bike -> Specialized Bicycle Components It says "threaded BB".
    I see in the S-works version here -> Specialized Bicycle Components it talks "OSBB. OS integrated, ceramic bearings". That's where this delron bushings and the probs occur right?

So it would appear the frames are different. Mine is FACT 10r where the S-works is Fact 11r. Even with these differences, are you saying I can simply remove my Ultegra Std crank and then easy/pleasy slide this S-works carbon baby right in using the original BB?

I'm just a 54 year old recreational rider who has taken a keen interest in cycling and want to get into better shape. I'd like to progress into longer Grand Fondo's, train further and maybe even try a race or two. We'll see how it goes. This take-off S-works carbon crank was available and while still priced a little higher than an Ultegra Compact set up I was willing to spend the $$ figuring this is quality, top shelf equipment. Being able to drop some 200 grams in the process is a bonus and two thumbs up in my book.

Again, thanx for the input.
    Last edited by SprinterX; 10-29-2012 at 11:26 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    He didn't specify S-works or not. And since he posted in the 'Delrin cup problem' thread, I'll just assume he's got the frame that uses the delrin cups.

C-bear does have a spesh specific BB30 bearing setup as well...
    No he didn't. As I suspected, he doesn't have a Sworks bike or delrin PF30 BB.
    Most guys that own a Sworks bike call it an Sworks bike because they are proud of the pedigree.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SprinterX View Post
    Hmmm. Pardon my ignorance on this subject but I thought my SL3 frame was the same as the SL3 S-works frame, at least that's what some guy with an S-works SL3 told me. I'm all new to learning the intricasies of these bikes but the LBS guy said I currently have these external threaded BB and I could run the S-works carbon crank by pressing in some adapters or whatever and then the different bearings. He had to check with his tech/mech but then confirmed my 2011 SL3 would accept this crank with this BB change.

Is he mistaken?

Here,s my bike -> Specialized Bicycle Components It says "threaded BB".
    I see in the S-works version here -> Specialized Bicycle Components it talks "OSBB. OS integrated, ceramic bearings". That's where this delron bushings and the probs occur right?

So it would appear the frames are different. Mine is FACT 10r where the S-works is Fact 11r. Even with these differences, are you saying I can simply remove my Ultegra Std crank and then easy/pleasy slide this S-works carbon baby right in using the original BB?

I'm just a 54 year old recreational rider who has taken a keen interest in cycling and want to get into better shape. I'd like to progress into longer Grand Fondo's, train further and maybe even try a race or two. We'll see how it goes. This take-off S-works carbon crank was available and while still priced a little higher than an Ultegra Compact set up I was willing to spend the $$ figuring this is quality, top shelf equipment. Being able to drop some 200 grams in the process is a bonus and two thumbs up in my book.

Again, thanx for the input.
    OK...I can help you out. The thing is, there is a lot of bad info about these bikes and even mechanics can get confused. You have a threaded BB on your 10r carbon SL3 Tarmac. Guess what? You really have the best BB and the 10r SL3 Tarmac is a great race bike. First, Spesh cranks will NOT mount to your bike. The spindle is too short. Spesh cranks are designed for either BB30 or Spesh version of PF30. The spindle is too short to mount to a threaded BB like you have and why your version of Tarmac is generally sold with Shimano cranks with external bearings. Here is the good news. For the $$ the Ultegra crankset is the best in the world. Durable and ultra stiff. Stick with it would be my recommendation for if you must have the best, go with a Dura Ace crank but you won't notice the difference really..
    PS: I am older than you and all the best in your cycling endeavors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Just out at a different dealer and he's telling me I can't mount that crank in my frame either due the BB differences. Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be. I'll chase down an ultegra compact set-up and call it good. Thanx all for the input and good fortune with your delron problems.
    Last edited by SprinterX; 10-29-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: sp

Not a climber
    No he didn't. As I suspected, he doesn't have a Sworks bike or delrin PF30 BB.
    Most guys that own a Sworks bike call it an Sworks bike because they are proud of the pedigree.
    My bad, you must be better at reading minds over the internet. And now that I think about it, the SL3 S-works came in threaded BB and OSBB, soooo.... yeah.

Sep 2007
    You could also look at the DA-7950 compact crank. It retails for about twice the price of the Ultegra version, but you might find it on close-out since DuraAce is moving to the next version. Functionally the differences are minimal (these are just cranks after all), but there's a weight saving that some consider worthwhile.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Thanx for the help/suggestions guys and sorry for derailing the thread with my personal situ. Just pulled the trigger on an Ultegra FC 6750 G compact crank off ebay. Brand new, never mounted and shipped - all for $182. Seemed like a saweet deal to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    C-Bear makes bottom brackets to fit virtually any crank in any frame. All solutions are based on our ceramic bearings, which are the only bearings world wide that are specifically designed for bicycle applications.

The sleeve that is mentioned above is only to place a Campagnolo ultra torque crank in an OSBB frame. For Shimano, Specialized, GXP or BB30 we make different sets.

If you need any advise, we C-Bear has opened a US sales office this week. Feel free to contact us via email or through this forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c-bearusa.com View Post
    C-Bear makes bottom brackets to fit virtually any crank in any frame. All solutions are based on our ceramic bearings, which are the only bearings world wide that are specifically designed for bicycle applications.

The sleeve that is mentioned above is only to place a Campagnolo ultra torque crank in an OSBB frame. For Shimano, Specialized, GXP or BB30 we make different sets.

If you need any advise, we C-Bear has opened a US sales office this week. Feel free to contact us via email or through this forum.
    I do have a technical question for you please. It been established you make an alloy sleeve for the carbon shell OSBB Sworks bike with 46mm ID carbon hole. It has been talked about in length on this forum that the Specialized BB is a departure from industry standard PF30...being slightly narrower at 62mm.

My question is....is the C-bear sleeve you developed for the Sworks bike identical to sleeves you suggest to convert industry std. PF30 bikes to a theaded BSA attachment?
    I was wondering if the sleeve you sell for the Sworks...if it is the same width as a standard PF30 sleeve you sell?
    Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The day I ordered my 2012 Specialized S-works SL4 frameset, I ordered C-bear Bottom Bracket cups (for New Sram Red) to fit my BB shell. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. They fit nice and snug, spin smooth, no play, creaks, etc
    Just looking at the plastic (delrin) adaptors that came with the frame...I was like..."really?"....uh, no.

FYI, I have also have a 2011 Tarmac S-works SL3, with a threaded BB. Why did they do away with that again

To the OP, I'd bite the bullet and order the C-bear cups, but that's just me.
    2013 Cervelo P5
    2009.5 Cervelo R3SL TdF SRAM LTE Red
    2012 Specialized S-works Tarmac SL4
    2013 Argon18 e118
    2013 C'dale Super6 EVO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I do have a technical question for you please. It been established you make an alloy sleeve for the carbon shell OSBB Sworks bike with 46mm ID carbon hole. It has been talked about in length on this forum that the Specialized BB is a departure from industry standard PF30...being slightly narrower at 62mm.

My question is....is the C-bear sleeve you developed for the Sworks bike identical to sleeves you suggest to convert industry std. PF30 bikes to a theaded BSA attachment?
    I was wondering if the sleeve you sell for the Sworks...if it is the same width as a standard PF30 sleeve you sell?
    Thanks.
    For standard PF30 frames we have a separate set of bottom brackets:
    - currently if you want to put an ultra torque crank on a PF30 frame, we sell the proprietary cups of campagnolo with our bearings. A new solution is in the making, we are currently testing it with Andre Greipel. If it is good enough for him, it is good enough for most of us.
    - for using a shimano or GXP crank set on PF30 frame, we have a set that does not use threaded cups at all. We believe in fewer parts with premium materials and design.
    http://www.c-bear.com/image_product/b_pf30-24g.gif

I hope this answers your question.
    Ard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast