Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

DT Axis Wheelset?

Just purchased a 2012 Roubaix Elite Apex which comes with DT Axis 2.0 wheelset. Just curious if anyone knows more about these wheels - DT Swiss rims/spokes with SRAM hubs maybe? Also wondering if any specs on weight are available anywhere for these. No complaints, so far they seem pretty solid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am not certain what the story is on the wheels, other than they are loose bearing hubs. They are probably made by Joytech for Specialized for DT... or something along those lines. They are OEM only, thus no weight specs seem to be available. They seem like nice enough wheels for the level of bike they come on. Definitely an upgrade from the last couple of years of CXP22 or 32 rims and generic hubs. Have fun with your new bike, btw!
    -2014 Roubaix Expert with 2014 Roval CLX40 wheels
    -2013 Stumpjumper Elite FSR 29er
    -Funner ORRB (Off Road Road Bike) with whatever we had around the shop

RoadBikeReview Member
    My wife just got these wheels on a Spec Ruby. Yes they are quite heavy. 2046g with rimstrips. 873g front, 1173 rear. 24 spokes laced radially front and 32 radially/cross 3 rear.

The good part was when I switched out those wheels for one of my lighter sets the bike lost 2 lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the info, I'll keep them on for a while (3 kids in college right now) but may put new wheels on my 2012 upgrade list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I would like to know more about the hubs too. I can't find anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ditto the DT Axis 3.0 on the Expert...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy2011 View Post
    Ditto the DT Axis 3.0 on the Expert...
    They're ok. Total weight of wheels, OEM tyres and cassette is 2.95kg. Hubs are pretty smooth, not that noisy. I swapped them for a set of Fulcrum 3s, more because I liked they way they roll... and roll... and roll, than because of any real dislike for the DTs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstaph View Post
    They're ok. Total weight of wheels, OEM tyres and cassette is 2.95kg. Hubs are pretty smooth, not that noisy. I swapped them for a set of Fulcrum 3s, more because I liked they way they roll... and roll... and roll, than because of any real dislike for the DTs.
    What is the weight of the DT Axis 3.0 without tires, tubes & cassette, any idea?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I just bought a 2012 Allez Evo that comes with DT Axis 4.0 wheelset. Bike as a whole weighs just a hair over 18 lbs, but I'm upgrading the seatpost, bars and stem, which should bring it slightly under 18. I would love to know more about this wheelset as well. I have a Ksyrium Elite front wheel and Aksium rear wheel on my old bike and have thought about swapping. More time on the new bike and more research about the 4.0 wheels will dictate that decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by REYES View Post
    What is the weight of the DT Axis 3.0 without tires, tubes & cassette, any idea?
    Sorry for the late reply (no excuses, I'm just lazy). Without tires, tubes & cassette, weights are
    Front- 831g
    Rear- 1036g
    Skewer- 65g each

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    curioous as to what size your 2012 allez eve that was a hair over 18 lbs stock was? i was considering a new tarmac that would have been about 16.8 lbs but like $3200 out the store. i can get the allez eve rival for $1600, yeah half the price. with that $1600 I could certainly sep out the wheels and bars and probably make it lighter than the tarmac.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

DT Axis 3.0 Wheelset

I purchased a 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp, which came with the DT Axis 3.0 Wheelset. I am an experienced rider, having raced competitively for several years. I purchased the Roubaix for winter riding and commuting to work. Regrettably, I did not research the Axis wheels before purchasing the bike, but they looked bullet proof, which was what I was looking for. After one ride I decided to toss them. They take forever to wind up and have a terrible, dead and heavy road feel. In short, they are junk. Specialized should be embarrassed to put them on the bike. I swapped the wheels out for a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elite (lighter yet still durable) with Michelin Lithion.2 23mm tires. I took the bike out for a ride today, and honestly it feels like a completely different bike. The most notable difference is descending. Just a more stable and smoother road feel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcats91 View Post
    I purchased a 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp, which came with the DT Axis 3.0 Wheelset. I am an experienced rider, having raced competitively for several years. I purchased the Roubaix for winter riding and commuting to work. Regrettably, I did not research the Axis wheels before purchasing the bike, but they looked bullet proof, which was what I was looking for. After one ride I decided to toss them. They take forever to wind up and have a terrible, dead and heavy road feel. In short, they are junk. Specialized should be embarrassed to put them on the bike. I swapped the wheels out for a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elite (lighter yet still durable) with Michelin Lithion.2 23mm tires. I took the bike out for a ride today, and honestly it feels like a completely different bike. The most notable difference is descending. Just a more stable and smoother road feel.
    Ditto on this post. Swapped out the DT 3.0 wheelset on my 2012 Roubaix SL3 Expert with my trusty RS80s for the exact same reason-dead and heavy feel. RS80s transform the bike into a smooth, fast, and stable machine-can't understand why Spesh makes such a great bike then puts such a crappy wheelset on it????
    Last edited by sandmannn69; 06-21-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    2011 Scott CR1 Team
    2004 Specialized Roubaix Comp
    2003 Santa Cruz Superlight XTR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcats91 View Post
    After one ride I decided to toss them. They take forever to wind up and have a terrible, dead and heavy road feel. In short, they are junk. Specialized should be embarrassed to put them on the bike. I swapped the wheels out for a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Elite (lighter yet still durable) with Michelin Lithion.2 23mm tires. I took the bike out for a ride today, and honestly it feels like a completely different bike. The most notable difference is descending. Just a more stable and smoother road feel.
    I'll second every single word.
    Replaced them with Dura Ace C24 and it felt amazing,the bike just kept on rolling and downhill speed was something else. And on top of that it's 500 grams less on the bike
    Crappy wheels for sure,I should just throw them away,I would even feel embarrassed to sell my bike with those on one day...
    Last edited by Devastazione; 06-21-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    2012 Roubaix Expert pimped
    2013 Stumpy FSR Elite 29 pimped

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    And me too - ditched my Axis 3.0s in favour of Ksyrium SR .. a revelation and also a great aesthetic match with the bike although apparently i can't share a pic with you guys as i haven't hit 10 posts ... jeez

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Me too. They flexed too much for me. The rim would actually hit the brake pad when I sat on the bike. I had to cock the caliper so they wouldn't drag. Replaced them with 105 36H, Deep V. Bike feels much more stable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I just replaced the stock tires on my 2012 Roubaix Comp with Michelin Pro 3's since I put a 2" nail through my rear tire on a morning ride. I am amazed at how much faster and smoother they are. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I recently replaced my stock tires to Michlelin Pro 4's, but notice no difference at all with the stock tires. Must be the wheels, I have an Allez with stock Mavic CXP22 wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    how are these wheels for riders over 270lbs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    You can see what I think of them above. I go 255lbs. I don't think there are enough spokes for us big guys, on the rear anyway.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmannn69 View Post
    Ditto on this post. Swapped out the DT 3.0 wheelset on my 2012 Roubaix SL3 Expert with my trusty RS80s for the exact same reason-dead and heavy feel. RS80s transform the bike into a smooth, fast, and stable machine-can't understand why Spesh makes such a great bike then puts such a crappy wheelset on it????
    Probably because Specialized has some sort of agreement (contract) with DT Swiss.

Supposedly, the hubs are based on the DT 240, which is an "average" hub to begin with.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I have DT Axis 4 and weigh 185 lbs. After about 700 miles of use on pretty good roads the rear wheel is totally out of true. Bad enough that it rubs both brake pads. It's going back to my Specialized dealer today. I'll see if I can get another 2 months out of them and get something lighter and stronger.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    This is one of the major points against the Pro Cardon Crux.
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Why build a sram red bike with sub par wheels?

I guess they can be used as winter training wheels...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Huh, glad I found this post. I just found a pair of DT Axis 2.0's online, and was thinking of picking them up as a spare set of wheels for CX season. But maybe I'll keep looking...

RoadBikeReview Member
    My DT Swiss Axis 3.0 rear wheel has developed some play.
    (Not sure how many miles I have on the wheels but most likely not more than 1000 probably 700 miles at the most)
    Up to a point that it was making some ugly squealing noise when it was touching the brake pads.

I removed the cassette, open the lock nuts, removed the spline and the axle, played a bit with the adjustments, applied some grease etc...
    I couldn't really tell what's wrong with it.(It has sealed bearing)
    The noise went away, but the play is still there.
    Is it time to get new wheel or is there a way to easily fix it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast