RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

First Bike - used '08 Roubaix triple

Want to buy a first road bike and don't want to spend a ton of $ until I figure out how much I will be able to ride (in the face of life's competing demands for time). I'm considering a used 2008 Roubaix triple with shimano 105. I have a langster of the same size (56cm) and, assuming the frame geometry is close, that will be the right size (i'm 5'11"). Any thougths on this bike generally and what a fair price to offer for a bike that's been "ridden less than 500 miles" would be? Asking $850

Thanks for any insight.
    Last edited by El Bishop; 08-09-2012 at 11:19 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Which one is it? The Elite? That is an older 6r frame design. I would try to get a newer model with an 8r frame.

Specialized Bicycle Components

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by El Bishop View Post
    Want to buy a first road bike and don't want to spend a ton of $ until I figure out how much I will be able to ride (in the face of life's competing demands for time). I'm considering a used 2008 Roubaix triple with shimano 105. I have a langster of the same size (56cm) and, assuming the frame geometry is close, that will be the right size (i'm 5'11"). Any thougths on this bike generally and what a fair price to offer for a bike that's been "ridden less than 500 miles" would be? Asking $850

Thanks for any insight.
    The geo on track bikes differs some from road bikes, so some things to be aware of. Generally, a taller BB, shorter ETT and somewhat shorter HTL's when compared to road bikes.

That aside, if you're used to the way a track bike handles, I suggest riding the Roubaix before deciding. My guess is steering response (and overall handling) is going to feel a little slower. Depending on your preferences, that may be a good thing... or not so good. Tarmac's would be a closer match, IMO/E.

Lastly, some earlier Roubaix's weren't known for their stiff TT/ HT junctions, so (again) ride, then decide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Typo -- sorry -- the title should have read '08 not '98

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I believe it's just a base model triple -- a pic of the actual bike (on CL) is attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Bike - used '98 Roubaix triple-roubaix.jpg  

Cycling induced anoesis
    FWIW, here's the archived bike on the Spec site:
    Specialized Bicycle Components

And from the Bikepedia site:
    BikePedia - 2008 Specialized Roubaix Compact Complete Bicycle

They list MSRP @ $1,600, so assuming the mileage is accurate and the bike stored properly (sustaining little to no damage) a $850 asking price isn't bad, IMO.

EDIT: If you check the bike out, pay attention to the crankset/ BB. Gossamers aren't known for their durability/ longevity.
    Last edited by PJ352; 08-09-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: afterthought...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Thats an E5 aluminum frame with carbon seatstays and fork. Price seems kind of high for a ~ 5 year old alum bike.