RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

Looking for new bike!

Trading my entry Scott speedster s50 and Tricross expert (never ride) in for a dedicated road bike. Went to local shop tried the caad10 w/105 and the specialized allez comp w/105 both about $1500. Liked the allez over the bumps and just seemed more smooth to ride. Might get the rushes groupset since it saves me about $400 for the same bike just a glossy paint scheme with red and blue compared to the flat black which I really like...oh well.

Side note they are going to order a Allez Sprint with tiagra for me to try $12-1300. I see the sprint has a shorter headtube etc so I'll be in a big debate once I try that one out this coming weekend.

Any suggestions on the 2 or 3 Allez's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So. Calif.
    Tiagra is a very low end drivetrain, for that reason I'd avoid that model.

CAAD10 & Allez Comp w/ 105 are both nice, entry-level road bikes.

What the heck is a "rushes groupset" ??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Meant tiagra

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Like I mentioned in the other thread, I would go with the 105 build in either the 2015 frame or the new 2017 sprint frame. Whichever works best for your budget and preference in looks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Looking for new bike!-img_2406.jpg

As soon as I rode it I knew it was the one

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Congrats on the new bike, I have heard good things about the sprint frame.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 07stuntin6r View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2406.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	318570

As soon as I rode it I knew it was the one

Looks like you went with the Elite model with the Tiagra.... Personally, I would have just went with the Comp & 105. I have a feeling that as you ride more, you'll find that the Tiagra isn't up to the performance you might be expecting. The only advantage, I could see to the Elite, would be if you really loved that color over the options available in the Comp, which is a perfectly valid reason, in my opinion. The white color way is definitely pretty hot.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    Looks like you went with the Elite model with the Tiagra.... Personally, I would have just went with the Comp & 105. I have a feeling that as you ride more, you'll find that the Tiagra isn't up to the performance you might be expecting. The only advantage, I could see to the Elite, would be if you really loved that color over the options available in the Comp, which is a perfectly valid reason, in my opinion. The white color way is definitely pretty hot.
    I would have preferred the 105 version as well as far as components go but I'm not particularly fond of either the comp colors where this color way is pretty nice. 105 shift kit is about 200 from merlin, so not a bad upgrade down the line. Crank is the same, only remaining difference would be cassette/chain/brakes?

I have all the components to build up a backup/trainer bike and was thinking of picking up the white and chrome frame instead of cheaping out and going with a lower end frame like I mentioned in the other thread. At the same time I also want another venge (comp version to build up slowly again), but that might be more dependant on how much I miss it after riding the tarmac for a bit. I know the tarmac should be great but I worry about missing the venge.

So many bikes I want not enough money.
    Last edited by taodemon; 04-06-2017 at 06:00 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Yeah the price diff from them was 300 more. I didn't want to come out of pocket more that 1k. Got me new shirts, jersey, tubes and maybe some pedals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I've heard mixed opinions on Tiagra vs 105 & heard tiagra work great just heavier. I will upgrade as I feel necessary as I do like he metallic white its way better in person. Only other color I liked was the green which is more than I wanted to spend and rather use that money to upgrade wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Starting with tiagra also leaves you open to skipping 105 completely and going straight to ultegra. The 6800 shifters and derailleurs coming up to just under 300 on merlin right now.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    I would have preferred the 105 version as well as far as components go but I'm not particularly fond of either the comp colors where this color way is pretty nice. 105 shift kit is about 200 from merlin, so not a bad upgrade down the line. Crank is the same, only remaining difference would be cassette/chain/brakes?

I have all the components to build up a backup/trainer bike and was thinking of picking up the white and chrome frame instead of cheaping out and going with a lower end frame like I mentioned in the other thread. At the same time I also want another venge (comp version to build up slowly again), but that might be more dependant on how much I miss it after riding the tarmac for a bit. I know the tarmac should be great but I worry about missing the venge.

So many bikes I want not enough money.
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Starting with tiagra also leaves you open to skipping 105 completely and going straight to ultegra. The 6800 shifters and derailleurs coming up to just under 300 on merlin right now.
    Yes, but a move to any of the 11speed groups is going to require new wheels too.... That's why I would have gone 105... and if he does move to 105 or Ultegra, these wheels will be useless, even as backups. At least with the Comp, if he got some nice wheels, these could still serve trainer or back up duty.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez

Neophyte
    Yeah, it doesn't seem like the Specialized Axis wheels on that bike are 11-speed compatible if you search on the topic. That said, you'd probably want to upgrade the wheels anyway. Yes, definitely would be nice to keep as spare or trainer set, but you can offload almost anything on Craigslist if you can't use it anymore.

When friends ask, I always suggest 105 as the baseline for Shimano since whatever the current generation is, 105/Ultegra/DA always share most design elements and Tiagra is a generation behind.

OP will have a ton of fun riding this bike as well as possibly upgrading it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Good point on the wheels, had forgotten about that as when I went from 10s to 11s I had already been on aftermarket wheels for over a year. My stock wheels might have still been 11s compatible but they were the racing s-fives

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Not sure why all the Tiagra hate. I have Tiagra 4700 on my '17 and compared to my '12 Rival and 105 it works just as well, really well actually.

TBH I'm kinda glad it's still 10spd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Not sure why all the Tiagra hate. I have Tiagra 4700 on my '17 and compared to my '12 Rival and 105 it works just as well, really well actually.

TBH I'm kinda glad it's still 10spd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    because the current Tiagra is essentially the same each as the previous generation 105, so it would work the same.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    because the current Tiagra is essentially the same each as the previous generation 105, so it would work the same.
    Except for pull ratios being different? And a more easily actuated front der with the downside of interference issues with large tires on CX bikes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Well just did a 10mi ride and rides great. Was riding around 16-18mph when my other bike I was getting 12 lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

Looking for new bike!

Looking for new bike!-img_2411.jpg

Going to get fitted this weekend and get some speedplays. This thing hauls!