RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

Love Specialized-best bike to get started again?

Hi
    I have been riding since age 10 to age 26 and then I almost completely stopped. I am now 48. 5’9 215lbs. Want to start cycling again. I have an old SLX steel bike bike with cheap carbon fork, and since I am so heavy and out of shape, I always feel I am riding with a flat rear tire. The bike is way too flexy and my ‘out of shapeness’ just magnifies the issue.

So quick question; I’ve always loved Specialized bikes.
    between Tarmac, Roubaix and Diverge, looking at used or new bikes, is there a geometry that I can find fun riding again, with good bottom bracket stiffness? Looking for some comfort with stiffness where it counts. I generally dislike aluminum although my experience with those is dated. Would prefer used and use extra savings on great wheels.

I lead a very busy family and work life, and for me to go cycling is a way to improve my health and have fun. I need a bike (or frame) that can get me back into cycling fun and fast. There is no magic wand, I know.

Sorry for my lack of coherence. Thanks fellow Specializers!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I've been where you are at. Since you are asking for opinions, I would ride your present bike and if that works out for 6 months or more, then you can buy a newer one.

I like Tarmac's. My original bike is a 1977 Tom Ritchey with a Campagnolo SR Groupset. After getting back into bikes after 30+ years. I purchased a S-Works Tarmac frame and built it with SR11. After a couple years, I went with SR EPS. I purchased a couple different SW Tarmac frames since one was stolen, one was crashed, and one was down rated to the rain bike. Overall, I was happy with the used frames I purchased.

The bike was only stiff if I did not ride it awhile. Once my body was used to riding again, they felt great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Butcher View Post
    I've been where you are at. Since you are asking for opinions, I would ride your present bike and if that works out for 6 months or more, then you can buy a newer one.

I like Tarmac's. My original bike is a 1977 Tom Ritchey with a Campagnolo SR Groupset. After getting back into bikes after 30+ years. I purchased a S-Works Tarmac frame and built it with SR11. After a couple years, I went with SR EPS. I purchased a couple different SW Tarmac frames since one was stolen, one was crashed, and one was down rated to the rain bike. Overall, I was happy with the used frames I purchased.

The bike was only stiff if I did not ride it awhile. Once my body was used to riding again, they felt great.
    Love Specialized-best bike to get started again?-5b88a696-8a40-4d72-9646-1102ea1e0c16.jpg
    This is my current bike. I am selling it. Thanks

Forever a Student
    Trek Domane sounds about right.

Maybe a Giant Defy.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd give aluminum another shot. Go to a LBS and try out the new Allez and see what you think.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    If you haven't been riding in a while and you're looking for something that will be comfortable as you ride longer and longer miles to get fit, I would recommend something in the Roubaix or Diverge line... both bikes have a more upright geometry that will remain comfortable as you log more and more miles. The Roubaix will be a little more racy than the Diverge, the Diverge will be more suited to mixed paving surfaces and some gravel and dirt. Another option, less expensive would be the new Allez.. in the Elite, Sport or Base model variants.... NOT the Sprint frame. The Sprint frame has a very different geometry with a very low front end. Going with an Allez will be less out of pocket and allow you some upgrade money

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp