RoadBikeReview Member

New 2017 SW crank arms

Just wondering if anyone has used these crank arms? Appear wider than previous generation 2016. Any improvement over last generation? I need new set of crank arms and can get a good deal on previous generation but also considering these.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Ty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Something changed since the new one doesn't work with the older power2max power meter but I have no clue besides the obvious graphics.

I have the older one, no complaints.

New 2017 SW crank arms-img_6659s.jpg

Found this thread at weight weenies, might be useful (haven't read through it all).
    Specialized S-works road crankset (2017) weight - Weight Weenies
    Last edited by taodemon; 04-05-2017 at 05:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I've got the new ones. Visually, I think they look nicer. Functionally the only real difference is that they no longer use a half spindle on each arm meeting at a hirth joint. The new design is a traditional BB30 spindle on the NDS arm that passes completely through the frame and attaches to the spider/arm assembly on the DS.
    As far as stiffness, or perceived stiffness, can't tell a difference between it and any other high end oversized spindle crank I've ridden. Weight is good too, with my 110bcd Quarq installed it is 498gr without rings. I picked it up during a sale at Mikes for about $375.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the replies! I do like the beefier look of the 2017 crank arms. I was concerned they may weigh more b/c of the larger size. I doubt if I would notice any difference in stiffness between the two either. $375 seems like a fair price, not much more than the 2016s.

EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    One thing to keep in mind is that the new one doesn't work with all the same spider power meters that the older version does. It should still work the the sworks specific quark one for 1k, but power2max had a 700 power meter that works on the older crank but for the new one you need to go with their 1k version. Not sure if that makes a difference for you or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that the new one doesn't work with all the same spider power meters that the older version does. It should still work the the sworks specific quark one for 1k, but power2max had a 700 power meter that works on the older crank but for the new one you need to go with their 1k version. Not sure if that makes a difference for you or not.
    Ty for the heads up. Useful information for sure

EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I do like the beefier look of the 2017 crank arms. I was concerned they may weigh more b/c of the larger size.
    Out of the box, my crank with the supplied carbon spider was 412gr in a 110bcd. I have one of the first runs of Praxis 50/34 rings and they weigh 123gr, I think they are a little bit heavier now. So 'my' complete weight is 535gr, only about 20gr heavier than what I've seen for the same size/bcd SRAM Red Exogram cranks with SRAM rings.
    As said above, if you want a power meter you'll need either the Quarq made for S-Works cranks or the new P2M NG, the Type S won't fit.