Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I actually think the change in carbon comes down to durability. The gravel racing scene has exploded since the first Diverge came out and people participating in those events have learned a lot over that time period. One of things they have learned is that one of the important factors to consider when selecting a gravel bike or equipment is durability. Going with with Fact 9 carbon means more material will be used which should result in a more durable bike. That's my thinking anyway.
    A good point, could very well be. I believe it may even be a cost factor to a degree. Performance objectives and even weight target for a very light bike can now be achieved with 9r carbon with this watershed frameset design where less flex is built into the frame itself to attenuate road shock.
    But great point on propensity to crack if hit repeatedly with sharp stones when gravel riding. High modulus carbon probably has slightly less impact resistance as well...due to Stress/Strain properties. No free lunch in Strength of Materials. Maybe stronger in tensile but not like abrupt stress aka have even lower fracture resistance. Only conjecture though. No doubt wall section plays a role as you say.

Masters Neophyte
    Good points, 11spd and Rash.
    It's probably smart on Spesh's part to not offer an Expert frameset option- or that's what we'd all go for, ha ha! I'm just second-guessing my purchase, that's all. After riding and enjoying that Comp, I'm sure the Expert is pretty awesome and, if I were smart, what I should be going for. But I'm all wrapped up in the S-Works excitement now.
    Supposedly I'll be getting it later this month. I will post more after I get it.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12